Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 03:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1703209
  • Total Topics: 119263
  • Online Today: 615
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cmon ASOIAF figures  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
Cmon ASOIAF figures
« on: December 24, 2023, 12:31:19 PM »
Hi,

I am thinking about collecting a couple of 'armies' - for Raven Feast based on Game of Thrones, by armies there's only 15-20 figures per side.

Knight models are going to be doing a range of figures, next year but has anyone any opinions on the Cmon range of figures?

Quality of the plastic etc.

I have never used 'plastic' figures (not since my 'Airfix' days)

Thank you

SB
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 01:29:41 PM by Silent bob »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cmon ASOIAF figures
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 02:35:00 PM »
Hi SB,
I think the ASOIAF figures are splendid. Before I had watched the movies (and I still haven't read the books) I initially bought the kickstarter set and a lot of extras. Since then I have been acquiring all of the boxed starter sets and heroes for the most part and getting them professionally painted. CMON recently announced that they are doing another kickstarter for ASOIAF but that it will be more skirmish focussed and their current figure lines will be able to be used. I thought that this was great news!! As for Knight Models I can only recommend you steer clear of them with a 10 foot pole. Their 2 recent kickstarters have caused a lot of people to resent them. Their Harry Potter kickstarter game provided figures that did not match their line of Harry Potter figures and it delivered late with many problems and their current kickstarter (under the alias Knight Models) is in ahambles as they advertised a semi-coop game to suddenly change it to full coop game 10 months after the end of the kickstarter launch. Mind you it's not being released until Q2 2024.

The CMON figures are bigger. Foot are on 30mm round bases and cavalry are on 50mm round bases. The detail is very good. I have played several games with the initial kickstarter set but since then they have added new armies and had to redo the cards in 2021 for the original armies. I haven't bothered buying the new cards because they haven't released the dead army yet and I figure once they do, the cards will need to be changed again, but I might be wrong.

Anyways, I recommend CMON's ASOIAF figures and would not trust KG or KM figures after all the issues they have put on themselves. Oh, I also own some of KM Batman figures, and though they look nice, they are very fine and brittle. I have had several of them break and been unable to repair them whereas, CMON figures are made of a hard plastic material and if they come slightly bent or warped when they cooled dur8ng manufacturing, by placing them in hot tap water for a few minutes you can carefully bend them back into their proper shape.
Regards,
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 03:38:23 PM »
Thanks a lot for your length reply.

I will look at getting a boxed set to see if I can get on with them.

Thing about the rules I want to use is that the armies are very small - under 20 figures per side.

Thank you

SB

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 03:15:54 AM »
Thanks a lot for your length reply.

I will look at getting a boxed set to see if I can get on with them.

Thing about the rules I want to use is that the armies are very small - under 20 figures per side.

Thank you

SB
If you in the States, eBay has sellers selling singles. Cheaper way 9f checking out some figs.

Grimm

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 02:55:52 PM »
Hi SB,
I think the ASOIAF figures are splendid. Before I had watched the movies (and I still haven't read the books) I initially bought the kickstarter set and a lot of extras. Since then I have been acquiring all of the boxed starter sets and heroes for the most part and getting them professionally painted. CMON recently announced that they are doing another kickstarter for ASOIAF but that it will be more skirmish focussed and their current figure lines will be able to be used. I thought that this was great news!! As for Knight Models I can only recommend you steer clear of them with a 10 foot pole. Their 2 recent kickstarters have caused a lot of people to resent them. Their Harry Potter kickstarter game provided figures that did not match their line of Harry Potter figures and it delivered late with many problems and their current kickstarter (under the alias Knight Models) is in ahambles as they advertised a semi-coop game to suddenly change it to full coop game 10 months after the end of the kickstarter launch. Mind you it's not being released until Q2 2024.

The CMON figures are bigger. Foot are on 30mm round bases and cavalry are on 50mm round bases. The detail is very good. I have played several games with the initial kickstarter set but since then they have added new armies and had to redo the cards in 2021 for the original armies. I haven't bothered buying the new cards because they haven't released the dead army yet and I figure once they do, the cards will need to be changed again, but I might be wrong.

Anyways, I recommend CMON's ASOIAF figures and would not trust KG or KM figures after all the issues they have put on themselves. Oh, I also own some of KM Batman figures, and though they look nice, they are very fine and brittle. I have had several of them break and been unable to repair them whereas, CMON figures are made of a hard plastic material and if they come slightly bent or warped when they cooled dur8ng manufacturing, by placing them in hot tap water for a few minutes you can carefully bend them back into their proper shape.
Regards,
Hitman
😎

Echoing this sentiment! The CMON figures are great, and paint up very easily (and aren't as prohibitively expensive as the KM ones!)

If it helps, CMON announced a smaller scale Skirmish game last week as well which is compatible with the main one as well.

As Hitman says though, the CMON figures are quite large heroic-scale ones! Personally I use Perry medievals for my ASOIAF figures but they look very scrawny next to one another as a heads up, just in case you're playing with people with other ranges! 

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 03:33:25 PM »
Dakka has a CMON / ASOIF thread. Highly recommend you also look there. Sometimes, when I see a ASOIF box on sale, I'll post on that thread:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/2880/756746.page

CMON uses pre-assembled soft plastic. Details have always been better than other boardgames, but, with pre-assembled, mold lines a pain to remove, albeit less than some metals I've had.

The Tactics base pledge is the best deal *if* you want the terrain.

Not familiar, though, with Ravens Feast, so I guess you're stuck buying from whoever has miniatures for it? The Dakka thread might be helpful to find the boxed sets you'd want. Tactics is also expected to reveal standalone sets that will also hit retail.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2024, 01:43:45 PM »
I love the CMON ASOIAF miniatures. For the price I find them unbeatable.

I don't have the time or patience to assemble plastic minis that can only go together a single way like GW minis, and after seeing what can be done when cloaks and heads are cast as a single piece I just can't go back to the floating beards/hair/cloaks of multi piece miniatures.

The poses can be quite fantastic on the miniatures as well. Check out the Greyjoy Silenced Men or Night's Watch Sworn Brothers or Baratheon Sentinels for some examples of great poses imo.

I have found the mold lines easy to cut off with a razor. The figures are also pretty easy to convert if you have a jewelers saw.

Enjoy!