Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Italo-Ethiopian War  (Read 15448 times)

Offline Roustam

• Assistant
Italo-Ethiopian War
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »
For sometime I've considered dong the Italo-Ethiopian War.  After viewing the work+photos of James Morris, I've decided to take the plunge.  I intend to use mostly Askari and Empress figures.  Does anyone know where I could obtain suitable CV 33's or CV35's?

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Italo-Ethiopian War
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:53:12 PM »

Look in the "tanks and vehicles" section of the Empress SCW for a CV35
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:58:06 AM »
IŽll second the Empress recommendation. I think those are the former Anglian/Chieftain models (they took over the range, but the image looks a bit different, donŽt know why). Those are absolutely excellent, I got two of them.

Back when I purchased mine, they had parts for both variants included (single/double MG).

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »
Nigel @ Anglian re-did this prior to selling to Empress. The original had weapon choices but no crew IIRC, I had one of each but sold them to Grimm.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »
I'm delighted that you're feeling inspired!  If you're interested, the next two issues of Wargames Illustrated (WI 266 & 267, Dec 2009 and Jan 2010) should be carrying a 2-part article by myself about gaming the Italian Invasion of Ethiopia.  Each article is about 10 pages and includes loads of pics and scenarios/rules based on Warhammer Historical Great War rules.  I've been told to expect the first issue to be available at the end of November.

The CV-33/35 tankette by Empress (ex Anglian) is a gem, it's in the SCW vehicles section of the Empress website at http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart24.htm     
I own 7 of these...only painted two so far, but am hoping to do the Battle of the Dembeguina Pass as a demo game at some point!  The first WI article includes a scenario using two CV-35s so there are going to be some close-up pics.

Cheers

James

Offline Roustam

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the information.  I'm now attempting to locating sources of uniform information, which should be a challenge as not much exists.  The Osprey book is of little help.  There are some Italian works, but they are OOP.

James, would you PM me please?

rbednarek@wi.rr.com

Thanks,
Russ

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
You fellas have inspired me to go back and finish off my L3 Lf that has been gathering dust on the side since the summer. Nearly finished him now.

Well, this period certainly seems to be becoming popular, don't it. Few more recruits and we may almost be approaching the "wargaming fad" level of interest. That is all perfectly fine, as long as we all remember that as far as the LAF is concerned, it was my idea;)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
Mine actually  ;) :D

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Was this particular war not Mussolini's idea in the first place?  ;)

(NB: like all the periods I wargame, I'm very glad I wasn't there)

Cheers

James

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 09:27:05 PM »
You fellas have inspired me to go back and finish off my L3 Lf that has been gathering dust on the side since the summer. Nearly finished him now.

Well, this period certainly seems to be becoming popular, don't it. Few more recruits and we may almost be approaching the "wargaming fad" level of interest. That is all perfectly fine, as long as we all remember that as far as the LAF is concerned, it was my idea;)

Dylan, If the last lot of miniatures you painted for the period is anything to go by then we are all in for a reat treat.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 10:06:13 PM »
What a nice thing to say. Thanks, Helen.

Thanks to this damn topic distracting me from the things I was doing I'll have something new to show for my slow-burn Abyssinia side-project in a day or so (just base work and varnishing to do).

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 07:25:43 AM »
What a nice thing to say. Thanks, Helen.

Thanks to this damn topic distracting me from the things I was doing I'll have something new to show for my slow-burn Abyssinia side-project in a day or so (just base work and varnishing to do).

Dylan, You are most welcome.

Helen

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »
Seconded.  Plynkes, I look forward to seeing more of your work too!  (I enjoyed the pictures you posted a while back, it was very reassuring to know when I joined this forum that I'm not the only person in the wargames world painting Abyssinians...)  If it's any consolation, my lovely baby daughter (5 days old) has seriously disrupted my painting schedule! I deliberately got a lot done recently in the knowledge that the happy event would somewhat curtail my output.  :)

My copy of Wargames Illustrated 266 arrived today, and I'm pleased to say that the Italo-Ethiopian War article has managed to jostle 10 pages of copy away from the orgy of colour and new product that is Battlefront/ Flames of War Vietnam!  Also got an Ethiopian standard bearer on the cover, which I feel is an achievement in itself... ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
Congratulations on the new arrival!  :)

I finished my L3 Lf flamethrower tankette the other day, but as yet haven't got around to taking any photos yet.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 08:41:46 PM »
Hi james,

Congratulations on your new arrival an I look forward in reading the forthcoming articles in WI.

Helen