Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 McMordain's medieval/fantasy winery  (Read 4198 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: BSC2024 McMordain's medieval/fantasy winery
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 10:22:32 AM »
I found this picture of a free standing grapevine. I really like the look, but I don't know how to reproduce it in an easy and quick way, that also produces something that looks good.
Quick and easy?  Where there is a will there is a way. 
Materials. 
Fabric covered floral wire.  (Hobbycraft or Amazon has it)
Floral tape.  (again Hobbycraft or Amazon has it)
Latex acrylic caulking
Disposable Brush.  Rougher is better.  I usually use disposable acid etching brushes.   

Use the wire to make a normal twist wire tree.  Use floral tape to unify the surfaces of clusters of branches before twisting them together and then to cover the bottom of the trunk once those clusters have been twisted together.  Leave a long bit at the end to hold onto. 
Use the brush to paint the caulk onto all surfaces of the branches. 
Let set for about 5-10 min. 
Use a clean brush to texture the caulk. 
Let set overnight. 
Clip the excess of the bottom and paint. 

I use the same technique on larger trees but it will work on the smaller ones too.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 10:28:03 AM by snitcythedog »
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 09:19:09 PM »
Work just killed my drive today, so no progress made.  :`

I honestly have no clue, I bought them at a thrift store more than a decade ago

Lemax discontinued https://www.lemaxcollection.com/retired/holidays-seasons/other-accessories/valley-vineyard--84855

Oh, interesting. Not really what I'm looking for, but it's discontinued anyway. They have some other stuff that looks useful, but they seem to have stores only in US. :(
Thanks for the info.

Use the wire to make a normal twist wire tree.... 

Yeah, this is what I wanted to avoid, sculpting the whole thing from scratch... oh well, this is why we are here right? lol
I will make a test piece, to see how does it go.
I also have an another idea that might work for the "body".
I have some Woodland Scenics clump foliage and some other material from BSC2019. I will see if I can make a good looking grapevine foliage using these.
Hopefully I can make something that I like and in a manner that repeatable in a relatively easy way. Eventually I need to make enough to fill at least half of a 4x4 board, if I want something that really looks like a vineyard, and not just a hobby garden.
If not, I have to fall back to my second choice, making a windmill instead.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 10:27:04 PM »
Yeah, this is what I wanted to avoid, sculpting the whole thing from scratch... oh well, this is why we are here right? lol
It sounds more of a pain than it is. For smaller grape "trees" it should not be too much bother.  The fabric covered wire adds some bulk to the limbs and you only need two or so strands for each branch and only two branches for the whole build.  Ten larger tree bundles can be kicked out while watching an hour long program on the telly. 

These Birch trees are just the fabric and floral tape without the caulking.  This photo was also before the limbs where bent and the rubberized horse hair added. 
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--wOr8e7X4Us/VOxTLS8kUiI/AAAAAAAAA9g/GWyT2lx6NdQ/s1600/DSC04372.jpg

However, if you can find something quicker and easier I would say go for it.   

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2024, 08:18:46 PM »
It sounds more of a pain than it is. For smaller grape "trees" it should not be too much bother.  The fabric covered wire adds some bulk to the limbs and you only need two or so strands for each branch and only two branches for the whole build.  Ten larger tree bundles can be kicked out while watching an hour long program on the telly. 

These Birch trees are just the fabric and floral tape without the caulking.  This photo was also before the limbs where bent and the rubberized horse hair added. 
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--wOr8e7X4Us/VOxTLS8kUiI/AAAAAAAAA9g/GWyT2lx6NdQ/s1600/DSC04372.jpg

However, if you can find something quicker and easier I would say go for it.

Those are really nice looking trees. Well done.

I did some test versions and while both turned out good for a kind of plant, snitcythedog's method works far better for grapevines.

This would probably work for some other kind of fruit tree, but it does not do it for grapes.

The first base, with tree plants. I made these about a centimeter shorter.

The problem with these is I need a lot more grape clusters, about 10-12 per tree. I can make enough (probably) for this build, but I may have to look into 3D printing if I want to make enough for a vineyard.

I use this for the foliage:

Ak's PLATANE FOLIAGE SUMMER

The result is really good, but I will not show it as I'm not sure about the rules concerning fully painted and done test pieces. Also you will have something to look forward  :D

I found my inspiration for the building as well.

The vineyard building from the RTS Knights and Merchants. I played it a lot as a child and really like it, but the mission where you had to beat the barbarians was really hard. I had to use a cheat after failing so many times... I wanted to play it again when it got available on Steam, but it's bugged and I couldn't go past the first mission :(

Anyway, the building will be a simple one story thing, with a big crushing barrel at the front or side, with a roof over. I will probably add an entry to the cellar as well.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2024, 08:47:07 PM »
You seem to be going really well!

I loved Knights and Merchants a lot as a kid as well (I recognised the building straight away!), and have the very same experience; I always got until the very same level and when I tried the game years later (I still have the CDrom laying around somewhere) I found it way more difficult...
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 07:29:27 PM »
You seem to be going really well!

I loved Knights and Merchants a lot as a kid as well (I recognised the building straight away!), and have the very same experience; I always got until the very same level and when I tried the game years later (I still have the CDrom laying around somewhere) I found it way more difficult...

I also still have the original CD, maybe I will try to run it on my PC (I have my doubts though).

Smallish update, the grapevine bases are done to a degree where I only have to add the grape-clusters and the ground texture (plus painting of course).

I started the house over the weekend.
Beside the K&M game image, I use this video as an inspiration, which recently popped up in my feed:
Fantasy Cottage for Warhammer "The Old World" by Samy - Modellbau
I really like the look and I want to try the "using xps foam for everything" approach (usually I use balsa wood for the wooden parts and cardboard for the roof tiles).

I glued the supports to the wrong side of the walls, so the right side door became a left side one...
I never tried to do curved roofs before, so I'm curious how it will go.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 07:55:20 PM »
I like how this is coming together - well done  :D

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2024, 08:54:48 PM »
Both the orchard and the house are coming along nicely...I particularly like the curves on the house.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2024, 09:24:44 PM »
2nd on the curves, lovely looking piece

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2024, 05:41:17 PM »
Looking good.  Those curves on the roof would send me scatty.  I love to see them but can't for the life of me model them. 

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2024, 07:11:09 PM »
Hackdangit!

Just when I was feeling good about myself and my build, I see that video and now I'm really humbled by this guy's skill.

And madness.

I mean; carving and shaping each and every single stone?  :o That's dedication...

If your build will be anything like this, it's going to be stellar!  :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2024, 09:12:43 PM »
Hackdangit!

Just when I was feeling good about myself and my build, I see that video and now I'm really humbled by this guy's skill.

And madness.

I mean; carving and shaping each and every single stone?  :o That's dedication...

If your build will be anything like this, it's going to be stellar!  :)

Yeah his skill with foam is amazing. If my build will be just 1/10th as good as that, I will be satisfied :)

Looking good.  Those curves on the roof would send me scatty.  I love to see them but can't for the life of me model them. 

Well I'm afraid of that part as well, but I'm not there yet.

On the topic of stone shaping this is where I was yesterday.

Initially I cut too much of the edges of the stones, which can be seen on the corner pieces and the chimney. I changed that when I started to fill out the walls and the results are definitely look better.
The curved door frame was bit of a challenge, but I think it turned out well.
Also I made the door my usual way, using balsa and some plastic strip. It still needs a handle and some nail heads.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, except for the chimney, but I will not redo it. I may cut of some excess foam here and there though.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2024, 10:01:50 PM »
Nice! I definitely prefer the stonework around the door, though the chimney still looks good. Maybe the cottage has seen a bit of rebuilding during its life time.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2024, 10:21:16 PM »
Could just fill the stone with lots of grout for mortar after painting - that would fill in those gaps

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2024, 04:03:41 AM »
That's coming along very nicely, and the perfect size for the table top.