Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:28:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690523
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 19th Century Ladies  (Read 6278 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
19th Century Ladies
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »
I like fsultana's idea for an 18thC list so much - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14976.0 - that I thought I'd ask for my own.

My request is a little more specific, in that I'd like to know of any Spanish/Mexican ladies suitable for the "Zorro" period of Mexico/California/Texas (1820's-40's approximiately).

I'm sure our friend Malamute wil be supplying us with a host of suitable civvies soon, but until then I need at least one figure for a couple of scenarios. I assume there will be some spanish Peninsular types that will do especially for the early part, but as I'm no floower of 19thC female fashion, anyone vaguely suitable will be fine.

Any resemblance to Catherine Zeta Jones is optional but welcome!  ;)  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: 19th Century Ladies
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:12:55 AM »
Yes I will be supplying civilains for the Boot Hill range suitable for 1820- 1850. There will be a mixture of ladies and gentlemen wearing a variety of clothing from well dressed folk down to humble peons.
A suitable buxom young lady ala Zeta Jones or my preferred Salma Hayek/Claudia Cardinale will definitely be in one of the packs. ;D

In the meantime I suggest using either the Foundry Mexican civilians from the Old West range (albeit they are on the small side, more like true 25mm). Here are the ones I use:

Or these from Perry Miniatures are ideal:

Especially the lady in the mantilla, She starred in the recent BLAM "Mark of Zorro" game as the Alcalde's daughter(Although she looked more like his grandmother..!)

You can see her and the Foundry Peons in action here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13969.0
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:44:23 AM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

warbeads

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
What range are these lovely Latinas in?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »
Carlist range:

CAT16 female civilians:
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html
argsilverson

warbeads

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:23 AM »
Muchas Gracias!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:38 PM »
I have a few Foundry Peons which I'd completely forgotten I had until I found them a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for some Future Wars jungle troopers I'm sure I have somewhere ::) They are nice figures and although a little small, still within my parameters. Maybe if I look for that bag of Late Roman cavalry I'll find the Plains Indians figures lol

I was hoping to have some rather more "upper class" types, but until we get the ones from Boot Hill, I may have to substitute some 18thC ladies instead  :? I do like the Granny, though and I'm sure a suitable scenario with the hero trying his hardest not to rescue her could be devised   ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:21:02 AM »
I do like the Granny, though and I'm sure a suitable scenario with the hero trying his hardest not to rescue her could be devised   ;)

In the game at BLAM09 Zorro (AKA Jolly Bob), couldn't keep his hands off her and went to great lengths to snog her and on the eve of his wedding to another, what a lothario....  lol

She is actually perfectly dressed for a good God fearing catholic lady of the period. Don't forget Mexico is heavily influenced by Spanish culture, so most wealthy civilains would wear Spanish style clothing.

The Foundry Peons will do  although as you say they are rather on the small side. Pop a spacer between the figure and their baase and they will be fine for now.

I have two packs of civies on the workbench, but they will not appear until after the Mexican army which is up next. Incidentally I am collecting the next release of greens on thursday and they include an infamous knife fighter... ;) :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:25:02 AM by Malamute »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:10:11 PM »
Apologies Gmax, ol' bean, but I have just moderated your topic out of 'swashbuckling' and into 'old west' - hope you don't mind  :)

C19th ladies could be a topic on any number of boards - this one, Colonial, VSF, Gothic Horror - but it's not really swashbuckling in the traditional sense of the word is it?

Although I guess Zorro is both swashbuckling and Old West  ::)

Anyway - you know what I mean. C19th 'swashbuckling' feels a bit wrong  :D

Yrs

Mr Pernickety

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »
Apologies Gmax, ol' bean, but I have just moderated your topic out of 'swashbuckling' and into 'old west' - hope you don't mind  :)

C19th ladies could be a topic on any number of boards - this one, Colonial, VSF, Gothic Horror - but it's not really swashbuckling in the traditional sense of the word is it?

Although I guess Zorro is both swashbuckling and Old West  ::)

Anyway - you know what I mean. C19th 'swashbuckling' feels a bit wrong  :D

Yrs

Mr Pernickety

No problem, Mr P!

I never know where to put Zorro, so as long as I'm not the only confused soul, I'm happy to go with the flow. It is a specific Zorro request, but I can see how it might fit better in another category.

To be honest, I always view swashbuckling in terms of the Three Musketeers or the Crimson Pirate etc, so fair enough  :D

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
Zorro, Sharpe, Hornblower, Bolitho, Aubrey, and even John Carter of Mars all seem very swashbuckling in tone, even though all are in the 19th Century.

I'm not sure if the West Wind - Gothic Horror - Headless Horseman (Ichabod Crane) line of figures is suitable for upper class Spanish in California in the early 19th Century.  There are some good female figures in those packs that are clearly more upper class than the Foundry peons.  Some of the male figures look like interesting characters, including some weilding swords.  Although some of the men are wearing breaches and stockings, others are wearing boots.  I do not believe there are any tricorne hats, but could be wrong.  Not sure if the hair styles work for upper class Californians, but they might.  The "Ichabod Crane and companions", "Village militia", "Village Elders", and "Villagers" packs (I have three of those) are worth a look:

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?infoBox=3&cPath=2_20

Also, some of the Reaper female sculpts by Garity have elaborate heavy clothing likely for a governor's daughter type, if some modifications are made to remove the magical elements.  Hair on those is usually pretty curley though, a Garity trademark of sorts.

The Brigade Games swashbuckler women might also do for females weilding swords.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:25:04 PM »
Zorro, Sharpe, Hornblower, Bolitho, Aubrey, and even John Carter of Mars all seem very swashbuckling in tone, even though all are in the 19th Century.

I'm not sure if the West Wind - Gothic Horror - Headless Horseman (Ichabod Crane) line of figures is suitable for upper class Spanish in California in the early 19th Century.  There are some good female figures in those packs that are clearly more upper class than the Foundry peons.  Some of the male figures look like interesting characters, including some weilding swords.  Although some of the men are wearing breaches and stockings, others are wearing boots.  I do not believe there are any tricorne hats, but could be wrong.  Not sure if the hair styles work for upper class Californians, but they might.  The "Ichabod Crane and companions", "Village militia", "Village Elders", and "Villagers" packs (I have three of those) are worth a look:

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?infoBox=3&cPath=2_20

Also, some of the Reaper female sculpts by Garity have elaborate heavy clothing likely for a governor's daughter type, if some modifications are made to remove the magical elements.  Hair on those is usually pretty curley though, a Garity trademark of sorts.

Thanks, some good ideas there. I'll have a look later.

Do many Mexicans have curly hair? I'm struggling to think of any I've seen - all seem to have very straight hair, especially those with "Indian" genes  :?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »

Well the one on the left would... Although the bucket top boots aren't quite right...

I have the second pack too - might be one or two suitables in there, yes...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »
Gluteus old boy, Do you want this lady to be a swashbuckling character with sword or damsel in distress?

If the former then Eureka have a female pirate that is almost spot on for Catherine Zeta Jones when she duels with El Zorro in her undergarments, complete with petitcoat slashed to the thigh...
http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_126_170&products_id=2016

If you want her as a damsel in distress buy the Perry Miniatures pack as mentioned above its probably the closest you will get in the meantime.

Personally I think the Westwind figures are not dressed appropriate to the period, you might get away with one of the ladies, but the men are not right.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »
Gluteus old boy, Do you want this lady to be a swashbuckling character with sword or damsel in distress?

If the former then Eureka have a female pirate that is almost spot on for Catherine Zeta Jones when she duels with El Zorro in her undergarments, complete with petitcoat slashed to the thigh...
http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_126_170&products_id=2016

:o :-* ;D

Well I wasn't thinking about that sort of figure, but after that desdription ....... lol

She's spot-on! There are a couple of odd figures there, but most are great & I'm sure I could find uses for them - especially the one resting her foot on the box.

If you want her as a damsel in distress buy the Perry Miniatures pack as mentioned above its probably the closest you will get in the meantime.

Personally I think the Westwind figures are not dressed appropriate to the period, you might get away with one of the ladies, but the men are not right.

The males aren't really a problem, as I imagine most "gentlemen" would have weapons of some sort and the peasants are there to be stepped on/protected (depending on point of view).

It looks like I will need both female models you recommend - at least until your miniature Claudia Cardinale appears. No pressure on your sculptor to do a good job. No sirree, not at all! I hope his female anatomy is up to scratch, as it were.

I have plenty of reference photos, should he need them  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »

I have plenty of reference photos, should he need them  lol

Can you forward them to me in a plain brown envelope clearly labelled Inland Revenue please. That way I will be assured that Mrs M will not open it... ;)