Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:00:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WChris' Catch-all AvP Thread  (Read 9160 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: "A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go..."
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 09:48:29 AM »
IMHO - I think the heorclix ones are prefect!

Disagree...the sculpting is quite weak. Especially the details are really bad. The size and posing is nice, but the sculpting could be a lot better.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »

I didnt know that Eureka made not-Predators.  They look good too but I agree with Pil regarding the photos: I would love to see a little more detail.  Still, your work is yet again igniting my interest in my own Predator project (currently sitting in a heap with the rest of the yet-to-be-tackled stuff).

For the models I personally would go for the copplestones since I'm not too fond of the oversized look 8)

The Copplestone figures are, as usual lovely.  Even without comparison with the Horrorclix guys they are a bit too small in my opinion.  It actually put me off getting them painted up when they arrived in the post a few years back.

Equally, the Horrorclix guys are massive.  I am ok with Predators being big but the Horrorclix guys are big even by the standards of an already upsized range of figures.  In comparison with the Copplestone figures they are gigantic.

Using the Horrorclix guys as the "top dogs" in the group might work I suppose and it would allow the beautiful Copplestone figures to get to my table at least.  I may yet again dig out the lot of them and (yet again) see if I can live with the scale difference in that context.

For the record, even though I love most Heresy figures, the new not-Predator leaves me cold. YMMV etc etc.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »
Predators should be about 8 foot tall, the first one towered over Arnie.

Nice painting on those Pred's :)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »
Predators should be about 8 foot tall, the first one towered over Arnie.

As already mentioned, it was approx 7'6 :)

So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline The Worker

• Bookworm
  • In the streets of London, sinister deeds are afoot
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
Don't forget the Ainsty INAPs - they did them in clear resin, too. I think Old Crow sells them now, but don't quote me on that...

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »
Using the Horrorclix guys as the "top dogs" in the group might work I suppose and it would allow the beautiful Copplestone figures to get to my table at least.  I may yet again dig out the lot of them and (yet again) see if I can live with the scale difference in that context.

Just a quick follow up.  I compared the Horrorclix Predators with the Copplestone Hunter Aliens.  I regard myself as quite flexible when it comes to scale but the difference here is too vast for my tastes.  For what its worth I reckon both that the 'clix are too big and that the lovely Copplestone figures are too small for my tastes.

The photo isnt great but its good enough.  Obviously the clix bases contribute to the difference too but even without them there are problems.  The Copplestone guy second from the left is ~35mm to the top of his head excluding his base.  The 'clix in the middle is a whopping 47mm to the top of his head and excluding his base.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 09:34:25 AM »
The Copplestone preds are the same height as his troopers aren't they?

Which would put a human head at shoulder height to the Pred's. Seems right to me.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
Yeah, the Copplestone not-preds are BIG figures, even next to other Copplestone figures.

I've got a pack of them somewhere around here, bought on the theory that "Preds can wind up fighting anyone" but never painted.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
The Copplestone preds are the same height as his troopers aren't they?

Which would put a human head at shoulder height to the Pred's. Seems right to me.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »
Thanks Overlord. Okay, so the Heroclix ones are a little large in that case. I think I'd still use them. Once they were on the table they'd look bigger than the others which is right but the actual difference would be less obvious.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: WChris' Catch-all AvP Thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
Since Round 3 is now concluded, here are the promised pictures of the Gripping Beast/Woodbine Colonial Marines and the M-577 APC. The current round's models are obviously not included here, and both the five Marines (which were not featured in Round 3) and the Xenomorphs will be up next week. :)

Fireteam #1:

Fireteam #2:

"Aliens" Movie Characters

M577 APC:

Finally, a size comparison pic with a Copplestone Pred, a Woodbine Colonial Marine and a Eureka/GZG Pred:

I'm sorry I cannot show the WIP shots of the APC, which I *might* have accidentally deleted. If I find them on my PC, I'll up them later. Similar for the comparison shot I promised of the Hasslefree Signee figure - same reason I had to enter the "stopgap Marines and Aliens" for this round: I got struck with schiatic irritation on Thursday and couldn't sit down, much less paint over the weekend. That put the kibosh on any painting projects I had lined up, including the original Round 4 entry (historical, now scheduled for Round 6), the Round 5 entry, some commissions, and said Signee figure. :(

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 07:52:16 AM »
That Eureka one is small!!!

I think someone at my old club put some of those up against his 20mm Vietnam stuff!!!  lol

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »
Since Round 3 is now concluded, here are the promised pictures of the Gripping Beast/Woodbine Colonial Marines and the M-577 APC.

Thanks for that.  Of all of the miniatures on show here, weirdly my second favourite one is that corporate douchebag Burke (my favourite being the APC).  I have had half an eye out for a suitable Burke figure for years so actually seeing one painted up so recognisably gives me a kick.

Those photos of the APC are even more impressive than the one in your LPL entry.  Thats a great job on an iconic vehicle  :-*

Quote from: Westfalia Chris
I'm sorry I cannot show the WIP shots of the APC, which I *might* have accidentally deleted.

:'(

Thanks for checking regardless.

Quote from: Westfalia Chris
If I find them on my PC, I'll up them later. Similar for the comparison shot I promised of the Hasslefree Signee figure

It sounds like you have enough other things to be dealing with.  If its convenient for you at some later date then go for it, but in the meantime dont sweat it :)

Regardless of how Signee scales up with the Woodbine guys, I dont need a magic 8 ball to know that I am going to end up getting them later on this year anyway.