Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - Terrain  (Read 223192 times)

Offline synjin

• Student
Re: New Buildings -- WIP
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2010, 07:38:38 AM »
WG,

Your father is one of the luckiest men in existence!  One could only hope for a daughter like you.  Beautiful terrain!  You have inspired me. 

Carry on, young lady!  Carry on!

Synjin of the Far North
"Hold steady men!  We can take him!"

Last words of Night Goblin Boss Nozmott just before receiving the charge of the Dread Lord Bloodthrister Mohggore Rogg.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »
Was revisiting this post, and noticed the comic art on the wall - just curious, what's it from?  I didn't recognize the artist off the top of my head.

The art behind Wolf Girl are some original panels by Scott Godlewski. His work with Mysterious Adventures Magazine, and his own Green Ghost are well worth checking out if you are a fan of pulp.

Thanks for all the kind comments and ideas. Wolf Girl should be back from her summer trip aboard by next week. The old lair just isn't the same when she's gone.

Dave
Pulp Alley

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2010, 03:59:16 AM »
Hey I'm back from vacation! Thanks for all the awesome comments. And we will try our hardest over here to make a tutorial for the buildings.

Wolf out-

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
Awesome thread.

Does it matter what sort of glue you use for the building of the buildings?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
Your father is one of the luckiest men in existence!  One could only hope for a daughter like you. 
well... or at least a friend!  :'( there's noone like you here!

great job, btw. your precision using poliplat (i think that it is one of the names of that material) is remarkable.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »
Does it matter what sort of glue you use for the building of the buildings?

I don't think it matters too much. What we use is simply called "White Glue" and I'm sure it was just the cheapest he could find.  lol lol

Wolf out-

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »
I don't think it matters too much. What we use is simply called "White Glue" and I'm sure it was just the cheapest he could find.  lol lol

Wolf out-

Actually, you have to make sure that the glue does not contain anything that will dissolve the foam, if you use foam board. Apart from ruining the model, it might cause toxic fumes.

But any water-based glue should be safe.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2010, 06:00:34 PM »
Actually, you have to make sure that the glue does not contain anything that will dissolve the foam, if you use foam board. Apart from ruining the model, it might cause toxic fumes.

But any water-based glue should be safe.

Correct, a good PVA like a white hobby or school glue, or even a yellow carpenter's glue is what I suggest. And for the record, I don't always buy the cheapest. There was that one time...  ;)

Dave-

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »
This is a great thread that shows just what a great family hobby we are involved with. My daughters and I always spend 2hrs every Saturday night making bits and pieces. My 9yr old is obessed with tanks at the moment and has made over 40 in the last few weeks. The 6yr old loves boats and is madly constructing fleets of dorys, sampans, junks and Egyptian reed boats. We will be adding terrain to the list soon. Both of my girls also love to help in the store selling figures and hosting participation games with the local kids whilst their dads shop or have a game themselves. Please forgive the corny line but:
The children ARE our future....without them there is no future gamers and gaming is NOT the exclusive realm of men......GO THE GIRLS!!! :) :) :)

Peter

BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2010, 04:53:57 PM »
Stop that peter, we all know girls have better hand eye coordination, finger hands in general and are smarter. Do you want to be beat on the workbench and the battlefield?  lol Maybe there are so few girls in the hobby because we don't offer a big enough challenge?  ;D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2010, 08:07:27 PM »
Hi!
Today I started on another scaffolding. I’m going to use dad’s old one as a template. Since I can measure it and see how it all goes together I think it will be pretty easy to do. These are fun pieces to play with. It’s always cool to get guys up running around on them. Here’s a picture of the one dad made a few months ago.

First I went about measuring and marking for all the cuts I needed to make.  I’m using bass wood because it’s a little sturdier then balsa and it needs to be able to stand up to some serious gaming.

I used a mini miter box and a small hobby saw to cut the wood. This helps to make sure that the cuts are all nice and straight. I’ve used this a couple times before, it’s pretty easy and safe to use.

Here is a list of all the pieces you need to make this scaffolding if you wanted to try it yourself:
12 planks x 4.5” long
8 planks x 2.5” long
10 poles x 3” long
4 poles x 4.5” long
4 poles x 5.25” long

Next I put stain on all the wood pieces. Just a quick dip and then wipe off the excess. This is as far as I got today. I’m going to let it dry over night and hopefully get it put together tomorrow.

Thanks for checking it out!

Wolf out-

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »
That's amazing! Why don't you make a blog?????
Secret Agent KKBB Blog

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2010, 05:57:11 AM »
Incredibly well organized!

Also, I like that little mitre box. Been meaning to get one for years, but there's something (usually someting pewter) more demanding of my gaming dollar...

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
woo-hoo!

amazed by your working table..
i could never be so tidy and metodical, i'm MUCH MORE messy...

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »
Some great work there, you're doing brilliantly! Thanks for the detailed photos, and good to see you guys are taking a few safety precautions with that wood stainer!