Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:09:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Grrr. Copplestone Ngoni annoyance  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Grrr. Copplestone Ngoni annoyance
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:44:53 PM »
Well, having painted, prepped or discarded all of the 24 new Foundry Zulus I bought, I thought I'd try a few of the Copplestone Ngoni - just to see how they fitted in. I was particularly after the chaps in headrings because I think they just look more Zulu...

So, as I happened to be passing Orc's Nest in London today, I popped in and picked up a pack...

And now I'm effing annoyed!  :-[

I know these packs are 'randomly assorted' variants - but I'd have expected a bit more 'assortment' than I got.

In the dingy confines of the shop, it's impossible to really see what's in the blister pack, all jumbled in together. When I got them home, I discover that of the 10 figures in the pack there are 4 pairs of duplicates and 2 'unique' figures. As a result I have only 2 of the figures in headrings I wanted, when I know there are at least 5 - possibly 6 - variants in production.
Which means I've effectively just paid 11 quid to get two figures!  >:(

Now I'm sure I'll be able to trade / re-sell the unwanted duplicates... But is it just me, or is that actually a bit piss-poor?

Short of demanding to open up every pack - which I'm sure the shop wouldn't allow - this business of random assortment means you have no way of actually EVER guaranteeing to get the figures you want - not even if you bought several packs.

Now I love Copplestone's stuff, and having chatted to him a few times, he seems like a genuinely nice guy - so I don't think this is a cunning-evil marketing strategy to sell more lead.
But it is bloody annoying that you don't get a bit more variation than that within a pack...

On reflection I had the same thing when I bought 2 packs of Siberian Rifles a couple of years ago. You'd have thought that amongst 20 figures, you have a reasonable chance of getting one of each of 10 or 11 variants. But I only ever got 8 of them...
I think I'm gonna have to complain.

Anyone else had this problem, or is it just me?

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Grrr. Copplestone Ngoni annoyance
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »
I have had exactly the same problem, Cap'n Blood. 

However, adding a headring to your eight other figs seems like something do-able with a bit of epoxy putty rolled under your finger and cut with Xacto. 

I haven't tried the above, however, so I could be talking through my hat.

Very frustrating when the randomness of the Copplestone's packaging is lacking. 

Chick
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
I have five headring figures available for swapsies (though sod's law will doubtless dictate we both have the same ones). That style of headring doesn't seem to have lived on past the first generation of Ngoni from Shaka's time, so they are a bit out of place on my 20th Century Ngoni really.

Unfortunately of the five, four of them are two pairs of identical figures (so yes, it does happen to other people!).

Here's what I got...

I'll exchange any or all of those five for figures without headrings (whether they are all the same or not). Dunno if that is any use to you but the offer is open.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:17:51 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:37:30 PM »
That's very kind of you, Plynkes. Cheers.

Looking at your top line there - I don't have the figure on the left. I do have two each of the figures second from left and centre - but I don't have either of the two chaps on the right.
So would love to bags one each of those please. Thank you so much  :)

Of the bottom row of non-headringed figures, I seem to have all those except for the one on the extreme left. So if you'd prefer any particular ones, please just say which.

I'll PM you my address. Thanks again Plynkles. Appreciate that.

If any other kind soul happens to have the elusive headringed figure top left in Plynkes' picture above, and would care to swap or sell, please PM me, and I'll do you a deal  ;)

Thanks.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
I know exactly where you are coming from

When I did my Chinese BOB army I wanted them all in caps and in every pack of 10 I got one, two or three with the bloody fur bonnets.  >:( >:( >:
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

former user

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »
I'm afraid that everyone who is buying randomly assorted packs is bound to have the same problem.
I always hated this sale strategy and I am surprised that some still use it.

I wouldn't expect that miniatures are deliberately packed in doubles or triples on purpose, but the strategy is obvious.

So the only chance we have is to open up a trade like You did with Plynkes  :)

Offline The Worker

• Bookworm
  • In the streets of London, sinister deeds are afoot
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
I've never really minded this sort of thing, but then again all my Copplestone purchases to date have been Warlord Chinese and as far as I'm concerned the more ragged the 'uniform' the better, fur hats - caps - beanies - bowlers - the more the merrier.

On the other hand, doing Darkest Africa, where the tribesmen really should be quite individual, it must be a right pain in t'rear.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
Hmmm. Hasn't bothered me yet, either, as the only unit packs I've bought have been the Naval Brigade ones, so I don't mind if they have a few doubles.

However, I was thinking of getting some of the Amazon indian types at some point, and they will probably suffer from the same duplication problems, so worth bearing in mind. I can put up with one or two doubles in a ten-pack, but any more than that would really annoy me too.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »
Hmmm. Hasn't bothered me yet, either, as the only unit packs I've bought have been the Naval Brigade ones, so I don't mind if they have a few doubles.

However, I was thinking of getting some of the Amazon indian types at some point, and they will probably suffer from the same duplication problems, so worth bearing in mind. I can put up with one or two doubles in a ten-pack, but any more than that would really annoy me too.

They do have doubles though I think each pack has different figures.

One of the good things about them though is that with those firing the bow you can twist the arms (wrists) slightly which gives a bit of variation also warpaint makes them look different. If you get the Tupi they also have tail feathers which can give them a more random look too.

I am down to the last 15 which should give me around 130 painted so far ::) ;D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
Perhaps it might be worth getting some Knobkerrie or axes for variety

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:15:53 PM »
LowTarDog, please post photos of your painted Copplestone Amazonian Indians !!

Chick

former user

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:03:45 PM »
as the only unit packs I've bought have been the Naval Brigade ones,

if You have more than one pack, maybe You could please tell me how many different figures actually exist, and maybe post a picture too, please?

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 02:22:03 AM »
While your frustration is understandable (maximum variety is always a better bet in packaging, I think), it does reveal the great genius of the LAF, where it is easy to swap one's unneeded figures with like-minded fellow hobbyists who will give them a good home...!

Personally, I always preferred the glory days of the GW Archive service, where one might have had to pay a premium for loose single figures, but at least they were available if you needed a specific model or component for a project...
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

former user

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 07:56:09 AM »
there were days before the archive service, when it wasn't even that expensive...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »
if You have more than one pack, maybe You could please tell me how many different figures actually exist, and maybe post a picture too, please?

I have one pack of the regular Naval Brigade, and one of the sailors in Sennet hats. Out of those packs of ten (and without checking, sorry) I think I have seven or eight individuals in each. The poses are very similar in a lot of cases though, perhaps a rifle held slightly higher and the figure being either bearded or clean shaven are the only differences.

Unfortunately I can't get into the loft to take more pics at the moment (piled high with Christmas crap!), or I'd see what I could do for you.

However, the first pack is pictured here on my VSF Stargate thread:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=10725.0

And should give you an idea of the assortment you'd be likely to get. Sorry I can't be more help.  :(