Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:11:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to create Metallic Red?  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
How to create Metallic Red?
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »
Since I was unable to find red metallic paint to buy somewhere, I was wondering if someone here has experience in creating this kind of color. Do you mix a metallic color with ink/paint or is it better to use a glaze on a prepainted surface?
Thank you in advanvce for your advice!  :)
per aspera ad astra

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: How to create Metallic Red?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »
I've tried with both ink and paint, it works. Another way were to take weathering rust pigments (like from Star Dust), the outcome I liked a lot better.

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:46:32 PM »
Vallejo have a brilliant transparent red(#70934) available. I would paint the surface as if it were ordinary silver, including shading and highlighting. Then I would use multiple thinned down glazes of transparent red until I have achieved the desired depth of colour.
Zafarelli at 01:00 am:
\"...everything is strange in a way. ... Always."

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »
Vallejo also make a metallic medium that you can add to your paint to give it a metallic appearance

former user

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »
Plaka red metallic ot generic acrylic metallic medium - better Schreibwarenladen

I remember there were even metallic acrylic from Lukas

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
What kind of red do you want? Should it shine white, yellow or just remain flat red? With metal medium or bright silver it becomes white, but may also appear pinkish. Add a few red glazes to gold or bronze and you get yellowish red. Or just add a tiny bit of metal to flat red and gloss varnish it to get car-paint metallic red.

I don't think there are many plain red metals in real life. You have to improvise a bit and pick your desired tone. Most acrylic metal paints are based on greyish-white flakes. Don't overdo that if you want another highlight colour. Glazes, varnishes and possibly alcohol based metallics may prove useful.

I think my versions have been mostly transparent red over bronze or copper.

former user

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:12:09 PM »
he might be going for some SF - otherwise copper with red glaze would be fine also

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
What kind of metallic are you looking for?

-Like metallic (flake) paint? In that case I'd just use a strong red, and add a metallic medium, like Vallejo make. If it turns too pink, just add a drop or 2 of red ink.

-A deep, metallic, lacquered red, like on, for example, custom sportscars? Those are known as Candy Colors, Candy Coats or Kandy Kolors.
Several modellers have found ways of reproducing these, just google them.
Most are variations of what Vikotnik describes.
But instead of an ink glaze, most use multiple layers of gloss varnish or lacquer, tinted with ink or food colouring. HERE is an example of the technique (bottom article and the Griffon Sports article). If you use regular (wargames) paints for the metal layer, you get something that still looks like flake paint. Use something that gives a smooth coat, like Alclad, and you get that smooth, even metallic sheen.
The fun thing is, as long as you have the corresponding ink, you can do a lot of colours...

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
Yup, Modhail.
I have seen a 1/6 Robin Model kit from the cheesy Clooney Batman film once. It was painted using the colours shown in your link.  :o I will never forget the look of these metallics...

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the good hints. I want to use it for Inquisition symbols on Deathwatch Marines.
With all the good advice it seems I can't avoid some experiments on this matter  :D

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:01:18 PM by Hauptgefreiter »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »
With all the good advice it seems I can't avoid some experiments on this matter  :D

Experimentation is good - best way to learn.

As others have said, several techniques will work.  Mixing ink or acrylic paint with metallics is a tried and trusted technique for painters.

Photo below - old painting - metallic paint mixed with blue acrylic and single wash of blue/black ink.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:43:07 AM by Hammers »