Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 06:50:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697072
  • Total Topics: 118807
  • Online Today: 591
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yet Another Zombie Debate: Skin color  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Unforgiven

• Scientist
Yet Another Zombie Debate: Skin color
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:15:30 AM »
Hi all, after seeing and enjoying reading the great debate about bloody zombies, I was wondering
Whats the right skin color for zombies?

I've seen:

Pale white flesh, blue, gray, green, brown, pink, purple, regular white skin tone..

Which one should be the right one in your opinion, as in, which color should zombies be portrayed as?

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
Re: Yet Another Zombie Debate: Skin color
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:55 AM »
Depends on the sort of zombie we're talking about. For me 'normal' zeds would be a sickly flesh colour (DotD remake), more fresh ones would go the route of 'Crimson Heads' with a skin colour more like that of normal-looking human skin. Fungoid zombies would be a greenish grey.  Also, another factor for me is what I am zombiefying. A person with darker skin would lean more towards a darkish grey/brown tone, Asiatic skin would be different as well.

The rainbow vomit skin colours would be for the Radon Zombies and more 'classic' undead.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:08:29 AM »
I chose grey... just because.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:25:13 AM »
I go for 'natural' dead skin (so hues based on racial skin type) and never green in my book. Inks and washes can include greens/purples/blues etc.. but my base coats are usually flesh based, (darker black greys for afro-carribean skin and work up).

I'll also ensure that the blood coagulates and have also had a go at the marbling effect, (where the serface capillaries are full of coagulated dark blood and begin to pool) you'll see this on Homer 'ZEDson in the montage shots below, top left ish and bottom left pic.

All my zeds range from recently turned to quite deceased so have a reasonable flesh colour range.

The Commander
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:35:47 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Baldrick

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »
I'm painting up some Rad zombies for AC57 and I've given them a stronger green hue - mostly to reflect the more "fungoid/bacteria" nature of the zombies.
I have a cunning plan... as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »
Bright purple!!!

I dont think theres any right answer, but I go for light greens and blues.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »
I'd guess it would depend on many things, the prime 2 being - what is the dead person's original skin colour, and what is the zombification process?

In the traditional zombie, you might imagine that an Afro-Caribbean person who'd died and been resurrected by a necromancer would be generally dark-skinned but with greyish bits.

A Swede brought back from death by some sort of radioactive mutation might be generally pale but with green or purple bits.

A Spaniard who had some cursed Aztec treasure might be unnaturally pale...

There's justifications for almost anything, I reckon.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:24:28 PM »
I like my zombies a bit more fresh...

so I normally just paint them a pale skin color, then wash that with thin greens or blues, or purples....

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
I paint mine the same as 'normal' human models but between the base coat and highlight I use a combination of green and red inks to add a little more 'Zombosity' to the figure. Once highlighted they usually get a coat of my 'Dirt Mix' (coffee, brown inks and future floor wax...) before getting the go over with blood. (...of ANY color... ::))

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 12:22:40 PM »
I paint mine bluish grey, I'm not sure if I want to change my formula yet but if I do it will only be a slight change towards human skin colour.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
I have painted some with different hues because

1. my pots of paint changed since the first batch some 3 years ago
2. Couldnt remeber what paints I had used

So I have of equal measures some very pallid flesh, some a blue green tinge and other a darker shade of grey.

I dont think it matters too much and adds to the mix. TCR is fun to play around with though and I have found by using a redbrown on the are to be blooded and then applying liberally. One thing to watch out for though is if you matt varnish it spils the effect and you will need to re-apply after varnishing

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 11:02:57 AM »
Many colours. Take your basic skin pigments as base colours: magnolia, pink, tan etc. NOw take some dark colours: Purple, brown, chesnut, dark green, and shade the skin with them. Result: unhealthy looking skin in multiple chades.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »
Trick question - there is no "right" way to do things - whatever you are happy with!

Like others, my zombie painting style has "evolved" - currently I favour a brown/grey basecoat, followed by a citadel devlan mud wash, and then drybrushed hightlights (and added TCR gore).

Question - is your zombie "fresh" or "has been around a while" - the answer affects the paint treatment. 

Simply put, start painting some zeds - doesn't matter if they are green, blue, purple, brown or grey - over time, you will probably change your style, which is fine, as variety is the spice of unlife....

lol

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
Trick question - there is no "right" way to do things - whatever you are happy with!

Like others, my zombie painting style has "evolved" - currently I favour a brown/grey basecoat, followed by a citadel devlan mud wash, and then drybrushed hightlights (and added TCR gore).

Question - is your zombie "fresh" or "has been around a while" - the answer affects the paint treatment. 

Simply put, start painting some zeds - doesn't matter if they are green, blue, purple, brown or grey - over time, you will probably change your style, which is fine, as variety is the spice of unlife....

lol

Just don't dip em though, that way madness lies..! ;)

The Commander

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »
The day I "dip" figures mate, you can "dip" me in a vat of acid.

:D