Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:56:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Robin hood Movie  (Read 20014 times)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
Robin hood Movie
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:13:16 AM »
I have to say I'm rather looking forward to this latest adaptation.  At least Rob won't have an American accent this time (cue 'G'day Marion' quips...)...

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Re: Robin hood Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:36:47 AM »
Ridley Scott:
- So boys, I just got this script for Robin Hood, it's rather boring isn't it?
- Yeah
- Well then, I'll take all the scrapped scenes from Gladiator and re-use. By the way, can someone call Russel? I need him on this one...

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
Errol Flynn will always be the real Robin Hood.  ;)

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
Ha ha, indeed, "Gladiator 2" immediately came to mind. Well, I'm glad it's not Orlando Bloom - you'd think he has a subscribtion to lame archer roles. :P

EDIT: And it's funny to see them use the Caslon Antique font all over. Gives the trailer a GW feel.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:07:39 AM by cianty »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
I think Ridley Scott is one of the best directors around and casting Russel Crown doesn't hurt none, but, cone on!, isn't 'Robin Hood' a story which has been turned inside out one time too many?!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »
Errol Flynn will always be the real Robin Hood.  ;)

Word! :)

I'm not overly impressed by this 'all new' version. Like that terrible King Arthur movie it pretends to tell the 'real' story, but fails to simply deliver a somewhat original approach to a well-known story. I'm also bored by Hollywood's repeated trial to add depth to shallow plots by giving protagonists some kind of serious background and motivation that (they think) appeals to nowadays audiences.

That said, I really loved Gladiator despite all its inaccuracy. So I wouldn't mind to see the Spaniard, only accidentally killed by Scott, once more.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »
Like that terrible King Arthur movie it pretends to tell the 'real' story

I don't think that any Robin Hood movie can claim to tell the 'true story' of such an enigmatic figure who belongs more to folklore than history.  Certainly from the trailer I would say the representation of 12th century England looks fairly restrained, though doubtless containing inaccuracies enough to set the teeth of the anal gnashing.  The historical context in which it is set is also 'real', so comparisons to the truly godawful King Arthur (which, amongst other inanities, has the Saxons landing far north of Hadrian's Wall in the Highlands) are probably a bit below the belt.  Like Gladiator, I'm expecting this to be an enjoyable romp that makes a change from the usual CGI-packed nonsense Hollywood regularly shats out (Transformers 3, or whatever). 

Well, I'm glad it's not Orlando Bloom

Me too!  Actually, I've just read that Max von Sydow plays Marion's father.  Fair enough!

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
A problem for me is that I know the story all too well. So in order to appeal to me, and I guess to a majority of viewers, the film needs to be good on a number of levels (characters, atmosphere, swashbuckling action). It's like watching/buying DVDs of known films: I do so despite already knowing the story-line, but because the experience as a whole is great, visually and emotionally. Robin Hood is probably one of the best examples, if not the best, where this has to be kept in mind when approaching yet another remake. Unless it is targeted at action film teen audiences only...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
Oh - I thought this was the one which was going to be called 'Nottingham' and tell the story from the other side, with RC as the misunderstood Sheriff, and someone else playing Robin Hood as a kind of murderous terrorist criminal.

Is that this one, or something different?

I must admit the look of the trailer is incredibly akin to 'Gladiator'.
I wonder if they filmed the forest scenes in the woods outside Newbury again?  ;)

That said, although I hated 'Gladiator' on first viewing (the dodgy CGI tiger, the armour inaccuracies, and the fact that the ancient Germans were using the chanting from 'Zulu' - in Zulu! - for Crissakes... ) I've gradually come to love it for it's many good bits. And secretly, I do rather like RC, even though he comes across as a bit of an objectionable knob in real life. For one who started in 'Neighbours'! I thought he was brilliant in Master and Commander. Wish they'd make another one of those...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »
Well, at least he won't be the first Antipodean to try the role - the mighty Errol was a Tasmanian, after all.

And lets face it, Crow is always good value in a punchy, shouty movie, Ridley Scott is usually worth his money, and it can't be any worse than the recent BBC series. Or Costner's version.

Who would you say was the second best Robin after Flynn? Gotta be Connery, hasn't it?

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 02:03:35 PM »
I think it looks interesting, although I don't know very much about the period, so i'll likely be blissfully unaware of all but the most glaring inaccuracies. I think i'll definitely be going to see this when it comes out.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »
Who would you say was the second best Robin after Flynn? Gotta be Connery, hasn't it?

Which one?  Senior in Robin and Marian (1976) or Junior in Robin of Sherwood series 3 (1986)?  ;)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
Senior!

Gah! I'd forgotten about the very bad decision to have a new Robin in the series. Michael Praed wasn't the best actor, but he was streets ahead of young Jason.  :-X

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »
I thought the Richard Todd movie (The Story of Robin Hood, 1952)was a good movie in the Errol Flynn style, though it also needs to be said that the actor simply did not look the part.

As a kid I loved the Disney animated movie.

Anyone seen the Russian one (Robin Hood's Arrows (Strely Robin Guda, Стрелы Робин Гуда), 1957) ?  ;)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
Oh - I thought this was the one which was going to be called 'Nottingham' and tell the story from the other side, with RC as the misunderstood Sheriff, and someone else playing Robin Hood as a kind of murderous terrorist criminal.

Actually it is, but there were problems with the script and in the end they decided to run with the conventional 'Robin Hood and his Merry Men vs. the Evil Sheriff of Nottingham and his cronies' format instead.  Apparently Scott wasn't impressed by the last 'serious' 'Hood film - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, 1991 - and thought he could do better.  The original 'Nottingham' idea would have been more interesting, though, I must admit!

UPDATE: Interesting link that reveals medieval attitudes towards Robin weren't all positive. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:39:38 PM by Funghy-Fipps »