Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:17:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: the Ice Warriors cometh...  (Read 5400 times)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
the Ice Warriors cometh...
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
a quick distraction to get my mojo back (oddly have found painting a real chore since I bought new glasses - prescription did change, but can't really see what that has to do with anything)...

BTD Ice Warriors (since Jon at BTD was able to track me down an Ice Lord for the normal price as opposed to the tenner eBay would demand or whatever depravity Stedders would demand)... not much to them really, a lot of green (must do Tre's gobbo's at some point), bit of red... the GW washes came in handy...

need to finish the bases and varnish, but I like these as is really... half toying with doing some snow on the bases, but that's a bit dressy for my bases :lol:

tried to do some wrinkles/scales on the Ice Lords skin, but you can barely see it in the pics... I did a hint of teeth as well which seems just enough...

one of these guys will double as Harma in full Dalek Killer mode...

the lenses were a bit of a pig as, when you really look at them, I don't think a single one matches another... reds have come out better than I thought though...

all in all, I'm happy enough and feeling mojo'd...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:25:43 PM by anevilgiraffe »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: the Ice Warriors cometh...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I really like those! Very "rubbersuit alien" in the best of sense, but could you please explain why the "Ice Warriors" are... well, green?

(I really need to do that "Raumpatrouille Orion" game I've been planning, so that you Brits can pester me with questions whose answers are painfully obvious to me in return...)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
they're Martian essentially (although strictly speaking, later stories suggest that Mars was just a colony)...

the name is a complete misnomer that stuck, when they were first encountered by the Doctor, their ship was found frozen in the ice of a glacier in 3000ad... they were the villains of the piece in two stories for the 2nd Doctor and later in the 3rd Doctor stories had joined the Federation along with Earth and provided peacekeeping troops, although some factions still fancied starting the odd war with Earth....

great beasties  :D

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:37:52 PM »
ssssssuper work!

I just wish the BTD Ice Warriors unit set wasn't so ridiculously expensive - quite like the warrior variants you get in it. Used some citadel ones myself for a bit of variety but had to tamper with their bases as they are slightly dwarfed by the BTD ones! The Citadel Ice Lord doesn't look so bad being a little smaller as they're supposed to be a bit more refined than the warriors.

Seem to remember having bother with the eye lenses myself...

Was Harma that tame Ice Warrior the Eighth Doctor befriended? Never read any of the books but was always intrigued with the idea of friendly Ice Warriors, especially after the double cross in Peladon...
Sorry Geek mode now disengaged!

Glad to hear you're mojo's back - looking forward to seeing those Draconians you mentioned on your blog!

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 08:39:49 PM »
Harma was part of Abslom Daak's crew... but there was an Ice Warrior companion in a comic or something now you mention it...

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 08:47:49 PM »
Are these Abslom Dark comics worth a read - keep hearing of people converting minis to recreate the gang although hadn't realised it contained an Ice Warrior.

Also -sorry to wander off topic - but while we're on the subject of tame baddies have you ever heard about a cyberman who helped out the Eighth Doctor - think it was another comic strip? Seem to remember he/it was armed with a very low tech iron bar!

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Kroton - the Cyberman with a soul... first appeared in DWM during the 4th Doctor's run, in two stories that didn't involve the Doctor... reappeared for the 8th Doctor comic strips and was a companion for quite a while, collected in the Glorious Dead graphic novel if memory serves... Oxiana and I have both stated our intent to make one, but I've done very little about it, think Oxiana got further with it...

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 09:50:39 PM »
I've done very little about it, think Oxiana got further with it...

Cool - got a link?

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
Lovely stuff AEG.

Absolam Daak was all guns and gritty 80s freedom fighting, but cracking stuff.

I can recommend a lot of the original Doctor Who Weekly strips. There was some wonderful Dave 'Watchman' Gibbons artwork. Kroton - ah bless him! I still love Dragon's Claw too.

There were a few one-off strips too. There was a one page eerie Auton story, which I think was entitled 'Toy Soldiers' which sticks in the mind. I'll have to dig it out and re-read it
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 07:50:29 AM »
Nice one, I need to finish the bases on my Ice warriors, I am considering repainting my Daleks and UNIT troopers, Like I haven't got enough to do.
I have the Abslom Daak Graphic novel somewhere, I didn't know they had any other collections.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
the Daak strips were just collected into one volume, including the 7th Doctor stories he appeared in... suspect he may have appeared since though

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
Harma was part of Abslom Daak's crew... but there was an Ice Warrior companion in a comic or something now you mention it...

Ssard his name was, from the short-lived comic strip in the Radio Times

Nice figures, and great detail. It bugs me though that once the series went to colour and the Ice Warriors appeared they were such a uniform colour, as you've imitated here. They needed some variety in the greens on the telly!

The Virgin DW books (and the aforementioned comic strip too) introduced a ceremonial sword for the Ice Warriors - that would be a cool addition.

Looking forward to seeing Harma finished - keep up the great work!

Oh yes, Daak did reappear in DWM, in the Seventh Doctor story Emperor of the Daleks, so hopefully this'll be reprinted soon.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:39:55 AM by Jet Simian »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
Superb! Simple yet very effective painting.

I have to say these are some of the best figures in the BTD Who line.
I need some!

They are in the queue behing Ogrons, more Silurians, Sea Devils etc etc etc

;)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »
Great to see these guys. I wondered when you were going to get around to them - you just need to paint up that Draconian now! Get a move on!  ;)  lol

Kroton - the Cyberman with a soul... first appeared in DWM during the 4th Doctor's run, in two stories that didn't involve the Doctor... reappeared for the 8th Doctor comic strips and was a companion for quite a while, collected in the Glorious Dead graphic novel if memory serves... Oxiana and I have both stated our intent to make one, but I've done very little about it, think Oxiana got further with it...

I did indeed - here he is:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12888.0

My Doctor Who project is 'parked' at the moment while I do other stuff, but I will return. Probably the day after I see Uti Long Smile's Who game at Salute!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »
Loving these.   :)  Great paintjobs.