Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:13:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu Figure Repaint  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Cearlan

• Lurker
Call of Cthulhu Figure Repaint
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:01 PM »
After many years of using what I now see as poorly painted figures, I finally took the plunge and stripped them all off. Instead of using Dettol, either neat or 50-50 as discussed elsewhere on here; I tried Dettol Multi Surface Cleaner as we didn't have any neat 'Brown Stuff' to hand. It worked bettter than I thought it would I have to say. Anywho, my figures are now looking as clean as the day I got them though three have become darker and slightly discoloured, but as they will be painted that does not matter.

My figures will hopefully have a new lease of life as a result of all the different techniques and methods I have seen at places such as of course Lead Adventure and Frothers and CMON. The concept, for instance of using thinned out paints, and beter quality paint than stock GW for example should produce better results ... I hope.

I used to have the idea that 1920's made extensive use of dark, drab colours, which was true to an extent, but not as much as the 80% of my (human) figures were.  ::)  I have now taken inspiration from a lot of the different sites and realise that not everything was black, clerical grey or navy.

This works out at about sixty-odd figures that I am about to start repainting. Wow! I didn't realise I had that many cthulhu-specific figs. I need to beef up my array of cultists but most of the ones I have seen don't seem right Any ideas or suggestions folks?

I have ordered some decent brushes, got some small scale files and hobby tools and have surprised myself how many mould lines were still evident on my figs, which I am currently removing. Just off out to get some spray primer so I can get these bad boys (and girls) ready to start painting.

I'll do some pictures so you can advise me on where I will undoubtedy be going wrong if you would be so good.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered

Norm

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Call of Cthulhu Figure Repaint
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
Welcome to the forums.

I look forward to seeing what you've got going. There are lots of people here with great advice. I've also just started painting again and look to the forums as inspiration.

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
Re: Call of Cthulhu Figure Repaint
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »
Welcome!

If you are going to start with a spray base, the Army Painter range has lots of colours, including black and white, are good quality and reasonable on price.
http://www.thearmypainter.com/

Cultists are available in lots of places, my favourites are from Pulp minatures, or the Artizans.
http://www.pulpfigures.com/cat.php?range=Wierd%20Menace&catalog=PWM&custID=90196641701264869936
http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1615

Good luck and I can't wait to see the results!
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!