Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:57:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: F&IW from Galloping Major  (Read 21077 times)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
F&IW from Galloping Major
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:36:05 AM »
While working on more rangers, I've got quite a lot more work in progress under way.

Here's one of the armed settlers that should be appearing before (too) long:

I thought he may be of interest, especially when viewing some recent threads.
Watch out on the Studio page for more greens etc over the next few days.

We've also added more pictures of models painted by our customers to the Gallery page:

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: F&IW from Galloping Major
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
Veru nice, looking forward to seeing more fo the settler types. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:42:16 PM »
This is cool, but why is it that every FIW range always produces Indians and Rangers and then settlers or French Marines?  I am up to my ears in them, while I can't find hardly any regulars at all. From a business perspective is this because that's what's thought to sell?  From my perspective, I am not likely to buy any of those unless they are very unusual or different because I already have more than I know what to do with and am waiting for someone, anyone, to come out with the figs I don't have but need for the theater.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »
This is cool, but why is it that every FIW range always produces Indians and Rangers and then settlers or French Marines?  I am up to my ears in them, while I can't find hardly any regulars at all. From a business perspective is this because that's what's thought to sell?  From my perspective, I am not likely to buy any of those unless they are very unusual or different because I already have more than I know what to do with and am waiting for someone, anyone, to come out with the figs I don't have but need for the theater.

Regulars are under way, but there are lots of bits and pieces that need to be put together, and command packs need to be ready for release if not alongside of, then following on quickly. I plan to start releasing the regulars during this summer, but then, you may have to tell me when to stop.  lol

Re Compagnies Franches de la Marine, I will be producing these, but not JUST the poor rag-tags left to themselves in an outpost types!

This is a long term project as I intend to cover the period in the sort of depth that I believe it deserves (cos it's a period I've loved since childhood), so I started out with proper looking Mohawk, because that's what I always wanted myself; then Canadian Militia because it seems they've been pretty much ignored, despite being the most numerous troop type on the French side. The Huron and rangers followed because, it seems they're good along with the other 2 types to get going on small scale back-woods skirmishes, giving distinctive and seriously opposed Native Americans and some of the Europeans they worked most closely with (although Sir William Johnson did take 950 Iroquois with him on the 1759 campaign! So they weren't always used in pocket-sized parties).

The difficult thing about trying to please everyone at the same time is, there seem to be several different sets of requirements out there. There are chaps like yourself who've already made a good start on the period, but are in dire need of decent regulars for both sides (believe me, I empathise), people getting started on the period who want to stage little raids on settlements etc, who having seen the beginnings we've made, want still more interesting Indians and irregular types (and they can get quite vocal too) all the way through to those who chastise us for not producing set piece vignettes yet!  :'( ;)

Still, as we can't please everyone.....  :D

BUT, I'm working on dollies for regulars, who I really want for my own selfish needs, alongside working on more rangers etc, so that I can keep leap-frog sculpting regulars and others until we have enough regulars to make their first release worthwhile. I do understand and share your impatience, but bear with us and we'll have some interesting stuff for you to see before too long..... no........ honestly  ::)

I hope this gives you some hope for the regulars, and you don't see it as platitudes, keep an eye on our little website as well as on this forum in particular, and you'll see things start to happen  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:22:41 PM by Galloping Major »

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
Fair enough. Thanks for the response  ;)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:23:59 PM »

Axabrax,

Redoubt does FIW regulars and they match Galloping Majors' figures quite nicely.
But frankly I feel that especially in a setting like the FIW you can never have enough different miniatures. Then again I'm one of those sad gamers that would prefer 25 different figures in a 24 man unit ;)
GM hasn't brought out any French Marines yet I believe, but they do have a few beautiful sets of Canadian Militia. Also, I don't think either Redoubt or Conquest ever did specific Mohawks so they are quite different from the more generic Indians of those two companies.
Go get them! You know you want to ;D
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »
Thanks WillieB  :)

Here are a couple more upcoming chaps, another armed settler:

and a ranger from our next pack - "Rangers in Scots Bonnets", more of these to follow:

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »

and a ranger from our next pack - "Rangers in Scots Bonnets", more of these to follow:

Oooooh lovely :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
agreed more loveliness ;D
I really like the small details like the drop front trousers with tie on the back of the civilian.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »
Straight on the Salute list.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
Straight on the Salute list.

Oops, sorry, we won't be at Salute (haven't started doing shows yet, family circumstances will prevent this for another couple of months or so - in other words through the wargames fair season  :().

Please feel free to PM me or e-mail on the site for any details - we do take cheques by post  :D

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 02:46:12 PM »
If you are to impatient to wait for F&IW regulars you can find the appropriate regulars from SYW ranges.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
Those look quite nice!  I can't wait! :-*

Darkoath

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: F&IW from Galloping Major New pics added
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
I've added a few new ranger greens and newly painted rangers onto the Studio page.

More pics of painted models will go up with the Rangers Painting Guide soon....ish  ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
Lovely stuff, I like the rangers :-*