Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691355
  • Total Topics: 118390
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zombies: Griffin with Studio Miniatures?  (Read 4793 times)

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
Zombies: Griffin with Studio Miniatures?
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:09:33 PM »
Hi, I have the first two horde sets of Studio Miniatures zombies and was wondering if anyone has any experience of using them with/alongside the Griffin Miniatures ones, since I am reluctant to put down £35 on a set of minis whose sizing I am uncertain of.

Any comments, feedback or pictures gratefully received.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Zombies: Griffin with Studio Miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »
I cant comment on Griffin figures, as Griffin decided not to bother sending me any of the Griffin miniatures that I had paid for. 

Griffin does not respond to my emails and has owed me money for quite a duration at this stage.

Beware.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:50:43 PM by cheetor »

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »
I've got them both.

The griffin ones are chunkier, but I feel they scale up quite nicely.

I'll try and get you some comparision shots this evening, If I can remember (the older I get, the harder that is....plus, what's all these strings tied to my finger for?)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
I cant comment on Griffin figures, as Griffin decided not to bother sending me any of the Griffin miniatures that I had paid for. 

Griffin does not respond to my emails and has owed me money for quite a duration at this stage.

Beware.

There have been "issues" for some people in the past with Griffin. Frothers and other forums likely have old threads on the subject.

I bought mine around 2 years ago with no problems, but have not tried to order anything since.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=5913.0

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »
Comparison shots:

Studio Miniatures (x2) griffin (biker):

Studio miniatures, Gamesworkshop conversion & crocodile games modern:

East riding, cold war and griffin:

Mixed bag:

Basically, they all go together reasonable well and represent the wide cross section of the community that the undead come from.

I like the griffin ones, I actually had a few of the masters direct from the sculptor when these disappeared into the ether, then when they surfaced with griffin I bought the complete set. Nice figures but appreciate history and others issues with the company.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »
Cheers Commander, that saves me from having to round up the camera....

The zombies were the only purchase I ever made from Griffin, and I believe I contacted the fellow directly from this site.  I had heard the stories as well, but have to say, in my experience they did all right by me.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »

Im not trying to have a go at any individual about this.  Honestly, this isnt aimed personally at anyone: what people choose to do with their money is entirely up to them.  I am not on a moral crusade.

I will say however that there are lots of small manufacturers and sellers out there who are busting their asses to give excellent customer service to the toy soldier buying community.  Top class examples that I am personally aware of are Hasslefree, Copplestone, Recreational Conflict, Miniature Heroes, MegaMinis, Cold Wars, Black Cat Bases etc.  There are many others.

I believe that those people should get my money in advance of a company with an established history of ripping people off and ignoring correspondence.

Personally, I would rather give my money to any of the others above, regardless of how nice the Griffin miniatures look.  And depressingly, they do look nice.

Thats enough from me about the subject for a while.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:02:13 AM »
Point taken but there have been enough threads on that 'issue' over the years since they came out.

The Commander

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:10 AM »
Point taken but there have been enough threads on that 'issue' over the years since they came out.

Not everyone here frequents Frothers, where I am led to believe many of those threads are.

There has been a lot said, but as the issue (which remains real, regardless of whether the word "issue" is put in quotation marks or not) remains unresolved. 

By way of example: last years Frothers figures were late.  People got annoyed. Communications were absent.  People got more annoyed.  Some cancelled their order.  The figures eventually arrived late.  Many were still unhappy.

Griffin did the above except it was not possible to cancel some of the orders and the figures never arrived.  They then subsequently proceeded to do business with others as if nothing had happened.

People cheated out of their money are entitled to let others know that a company is fraudulent.  I have no hesitation in letting people know that a seller that I have dealt with gave good customer service.  The opposite is also true, as in this case.

Time does not render the money that was cheated from various people by a company that remained in business and simply chose not to honour payments any less relevant.

I am not in the habit of trolling but my point has relevance to the original post, so I said it.

I would rather not discuss this further here.  Apart form my feelings towards Griffin none of what I have written is aimed personally.  Anyone who might want to discuss it further should feel free to contact me via PM about it.  I think that LAF is a better place for the lack of potentially heated discussion on subjects such as this and so...

Quote from: me
Thats enough from me about the subject for a while.

I mean it this time :)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »
By way of example: last years Frothers figures were late.  People got annoyed. Communications were absent.  People got more annoyed.  Some cancelled their order.  The figures eventually arrived late.  Many were still unhappy.

Frothers had figures?  This is the first time I heard of this.... ::)

You make great points, and I agree one should go with the companies you mentioned.

However, sometimes the minis are SO good that it's worth a gamble.  (at least when you are hopelessly devoted to lead, it is)  But it is a shame it should be that way.  How frickin hard is it to honor an agreement, or just issue a refund? 

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
Back on topic, I dont worry too much (within reason) on some of the minis being different scales within a scale (if that makes sense) certainly for zombies as in many games it will help you differentiate between normal zombies, fast zombies, bile or boomers etc which is what I tend to use different manufacturers who arent quite compatible with the bulk :)

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 04:34:27 PM »
As Lowtardog  says I wouldn't get hung up on the scale to much.I used my Griffin zeds as 'character Zeds (eg-boomers or with increased stats)...but I suppose when you're dead....you're dead no matter what size you are. :D
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 05:08:08 PM »
As Lowtardog  says I wouldn't get hung up on the scale to much.I used my Griffin zeds as 'character Zeds (eg-boomers or with increased stats)...but I suppose when you're dead....you're dead no matter what size you are. :D

It is simply an aesthetic thing for me - I like models that look 'right' together. For example I had some RAFM USX zombies and they were simply too big and chunky to fit nicely with the Studio ones. The Griffin ones would add 15 zeds to my eventual pool, so that is why I am seeking to find out how well they go together. :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
Comparison shots again to re-rail the thread! :D

Comparison shots:

Studio Miniatures (x2) griffin (biker):

Studio miniatures, Gamesworkshop conversion & crocodile games modern:

East riding, cold war and griffin:

Mixed bag:

Basically, they all go together reasonable well and represent the wide cross section of the community that the undead come from.

I like the griffin ones, I actually had a few of the masters direct from the sculptor when these disappeared into the ether, then when they surfaced with griffin I bought the complete set.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »
It is simply an aesthetic thing for me - I like models that look 'right' together. For example I had some RAFM USX zombies and they were simply too big and chunky to fit nicely with the Studio ones. The Griffin ones would add 15 zeds to my eventual pool, so that is why I am seeking to find out how well they go together. :)

Yup I'm only using the kid from the RAFM pack, the others are giganto in comparison. But remember that everyone is different sizes and shapes, the studio miniatures and hasslefree zeds work well with the coldwar and griffin zeds and the GW conversions all tie in.

A horde's not a horde less it's well mixed! :D