Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:33:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review: Zombies and Survivors by Griffin Miniatures  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
Review: Zombies and Survivors by Griffin Miniatures
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »
This week's Screaming Alpha review takes a look at an incredible set of zombie and survivor minis from the UK's Griffin Miniatures. These zombies have the most extreme damage I've ever seen, featuring massive through-and-through gunshot wounds and even a zed impaled on a street sign. For the detailed review featuring lots of pics of the painted minis, just follow the link:
http://thescreamingalpha.com/2009/05/08/review-survivor-the-walking-dead-by-griffin-miniatures/
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Re: Review: Zombies and Survivors by Griffin Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »
Nice review Curryman! :D  I am pretty sure that Griffin didn't issue bases with the set.  None came with my set either.  I guess he figured that most poeple have their own slotta bases already or would be using resin bases.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 12:17:38 AM »
Thanks for the excellent review once again, you help me add to my 'to-buy' list rather much so.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 03:10:54 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Darkoath, you're like the third or fourth person to confirm that Griffin evidently doesn't include bases with this set for some crazy reason. I have NEVER seen any company do this before, especially without any notice. Call me crazy, but I don't think it unreasonable to assume that bases come with the minis...

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:25:47 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Darkoath, you're like the third or fourth person to confirm that Griffin evidently doesn't include bases with this set for some crazy reason. I have NEVER seen any company do this before, especially without any notice. Call me crazy, but I don't think it unreasonable to assume that bases come with the minis...

Mate,

When these were released (quite a while back now I have to add so your review is a little late to the party! ;)) they were a kind of 'do of die' fund generator for Mark at Griffin. Some people weren't happy about this as there were still harbinger subscriptions outstanding, and people owed money.

Yes theyt should have had bases but does it really matter in this respect, did it scar your psychologically to go through your base box and find some?

Sorry if I'm sounding pissy (tired bed late etc...) but there are more important things in the world to worry about than whether you needed to find your own bases or not!!!
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »

Yes theyt should have had bases but does it really matter in this respect, did it scar your psychologically to go through your base box and find some?

Sorry if I'm sounding pissy (tired bed late etc...) but there are more important things in the world to worry about than whether you needed to find your own bases or not!!!

It's a fact that these guys aren't new on the market, but I don't really think that's important. There are darn few reviews out there, and my goal is to have writeups available on my site for all the different lines I can get examples of with the objective of helping people decide what to buy.

As for the bases issue, obviously I was able to solve it, and no it didn't scar me or anything, but I think it's a perfectly valid objection to raise. EVERY other mini I've ever purchased in 20+ years in the hobby came with whatever base it might have required. By not including any (and not mentioning it anywhere I might add), Griffin is adding several dollars in hidden cost to the final consumer price of this set.

That's not a deal-breaker for me, and I said as much in the review, but it does seem a bit shoddy to me, and I stand by that. As always, your mileage may vary.