Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:42:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689781
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Things YOU Would Like To See...  (Read 13694 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Things YOU Would Like To See...
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:56 PM »
Figured it would be a good idea to start up a topic on things YOU would like to see in future Strange Aeons releases...So, yeah, anything really: new Lurkers, Special Agents, contests, Story ideas...anything. let's have it... :P

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
Re: Things YOU Would Like To See...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:16:24 AM »
My SA wish list:

• New Lurkers (always a good thing)
  • More spells
  • More weapons
  • More equipment
  • More artifacts
  • More scenarios

Did I miss anything?  :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:17:58 AM by ZenWired »
My RPG blog: A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
My miniatures gaming blog: A Hard Won Thing

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:58:32 AM »
Cultists and Agents with rifles and Thompsons. Possibly the Hound? And furthermore, perhaps some mostly useless civilians to get in the way. Oh, and horrendous 'casualty' markers?
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
New ways to play the game are always nice.

Expansion into new area's of the glob as well though i hope i've done some of the groundwork for the UK at least.

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
Personally I don't think country-specific rules are needed as the game is open enough to do this as it is now.

What I would like to see:
*Rules for underground adventuring (caves and such) with rules for light, traps and how to use board tiles.
*Special Characters (Pickmann, Armitage, etc.)
*Rules about Eldritch Tomes (with spells and knowledge)
*Simple vehicle rules (bikes and cars). Who doesn't want to splatter some zombies with a Ford-T?
*Rules for mythos planets/planes in games (Yuggoth, the Moon, Dreamlands)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »
Personally I don't think country-specific rules are needed as the game is open enough to do this as it is now.

Oh i agree with you there but people do need the info to get going with so they can understand whats different..

Otherwise you'll have people spending $ in the Ritz Tea Room's ;)

Offline Silverpaint68

• Student
    • Atelier du Mercenaire
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
I agree with all suggestions and add :

- multi-players rules.

About country specifics rules : just for bacground or adding something to gameplay ?

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
bako's idea of horrendous casualty models would be good,

a victim blown apart, limbs torn off, drained of blood, part eaten...

you get the idea :D
also bako's differently armed cultists too!

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:59:23 PM »
What I would like to see:
*Rules for underground adventuring (caves and such) with rules for light, traps and how to use board tiles.
*Special Characters (Pickmann, Armitage, etc.)
*Simple vehicle rules (bikes and cars). Who doesn't want to splatter some zombies with a Ford-T?
* Underground Adventuring: caves, sewers, cavernous labyrinths and catacombs etc. Great idea!
* Special Characters: and/or additional Special Agents and Special Branch Weapons.
* Vehicle Rules...the additional "mobility" would be useful against faster Lurkers like Serpentmen, Winged Nightmares etc.  Plus, nothing beats mowing down cultists and zombies with your trusty grocery-getter!  :D
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
Just keep making the lurkers that other manufactures don’t make.

Random set up rules for instant games
Night time and fog rules
Hidden set up rules, these would work with night time and fog rules

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
I am not to big on "Special Characters".  Makes it feel like 40k ( If you don't have a special on the table, YOU WILL LOSE...)... IMO....

BUT...
The other suggestions sounds great!
 I love the underground/night/fog idea.
As well as:
1) Multiplayer
2) Simple Vehicles (and make them static stats, i.e. hard stats in a rule book)
3) Eldrich tomes
4) more spells
5) more weapons
6) more artifacts (that can be used by both sides)
7) and I really love the 'horrific catastrophic damage' figs idea...  8)

oh...  and one other thing.... 
Solo rules...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:28:51 PM by richarDMB »
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
Gaslight campaign set in Victorian England

Offline Stratos

• Bookworm
  • Kaiju Kaos is coming!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
A female werewolf model.   ;D

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 06:33:41 PM »
Overall I very happy with the general manner in which campiagn length games can be generated and rpg type characters designed for tabletop play.

Frankly I'd buy another supplement that included (though might buy it anyway even if it didn't include any of this):

1) more Lurker and Cultist types - consider other exotic monster models out there from designers such as Reaper.  Let's be frank, even noncthulhu monsters are fun

Invisible Man
Golem - The old Jewish Stone or Mechanical Kind
Giant Snake (anaconda)
Giant Alligator
Giant Spider
Giant Killer Plant / Vines
-I still want my "Vengeful Ghost"-
Mutants
The Dreaded White Gorillas of the Congo (the Nevelle Jermyn Family)
Maybe even as far as a Medusa - There'll be at least half a dozen new Medusa Sculpts out there in the new year.

2) Maybe new special artifacts equipment, spells and weapons -

3) New special scenarios - fog or night are good.

NOTE I personally hate the introduction of to many additional *new* rules in supplements which overcomplicate and tarnish the simplicity of the present core system. 

While I like the idea of including famous characters (Artimage and others) I think it becomes rather wasted space.  We can all make up versions of various experienced incarnations of our favorite Lovecraft Characters. UNLESS you make the receiving of a famous character a reward for a special mission type.  That sounds like a neat idea, if I do say so myself.  Say if you win a certain special mission type you can purchase or roll for a famous character as a reward or at a specific point value.

Multiplayer Rules - Frankly I personally have no interest in these, I see some of you do but I have no issue with compensating for this by just adding another side or fraction.  I'd rather not see a supplement eaten up with space over this.

Vehicle Rules - This is probably a good way to introduce Vehicle Rules if you consider doing so.  Blaaaah!!   I personally would not employ them.  I may use a car as fixed terrain or as a goal but I hate to employ new vehicle mechanics in a squad based miniature game.

Hey thanks for asking for our input about what we want - keep up the good work.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:00:06 PM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
I am not to big on "Special Characters".  Makes it feel like 40k ( If you don't have a special on the table, YOU WILL LOSE...)... IMO....

That's just a matter of designing them well. If you don't want the 40K route, then don't make them overpowerful. But I think they will be great for scenarios. So you could make them for specific scenarios.

Concerning vehicles:
I really like using vehicles in a game, but don't want the system to be very complicated. Simple and elegant rules that don't make it a science to move vehicles. Example:

Vehicles
Alle vehicles have three speed bands: stopped, slow and fast. A stopped vehicle does not move. A vehicle going at slow speed moves up to 8" per turn. A vehicle moving at fast speed must move at least 8" and up to 12" per turn.
At the start of your turn, the vehicle can go up one speed band or down one speed band (i.e. A stopped vehicle can speed up to slow speed, a vehicle at slow speed can either stop or go to fast speed, and a vehicle at fast speed can decelerate to slow speed). Bikes can go up or down two speed bands at the start of your turn.
Designate one model as the vehicle's driver. The only actions a driver can take while driving a vehicle is shooting a pistol.

Vehicles may make turns to change direction. A stopped vehicle cannot turn. A vehicle moving at slow speed can make an unlimited number of 45 degree turns per game turn. A vehicle going at fast speed can make up to two 45 degrees turns per game turn.
A vehicle going at slow speed must move at least 2" before making a turn. A vehicle moving at fast speed must move at least 3" before making a turn.

Skidding! Players can try to skid and make a tighter turn. If a vehicle skids, it can make a turn between 45 and 90 degrees. If a player wants to skid, he rolls one die when going at slow speed and two dice at fast speed. If the player gets a score of 3-6 on the dice, the skid is succesful and the vehicle turns up to 90 degrees. If a '1' or '2' is rolled on one or both of the dice, the vehicle is out of control.
Roll a dice whenever a vehicle goes out of control and consult the following chart.
1: Roll over! The vehicle rolls over in the turn and ends up on its side. The vehicle stops, counts as an obstruction and cannot be used anymore during this game. All passengers suffer a D+1 damage roll and must first spend one action to exit the vehicle. 
2-5:  spin! The vehicle spins and stops. Randomly determine in which direction the vehicle ends up. The vehicle cannot move again this turn.
6: Almost! The vehicle makes a 45 degree turn in the direction the player wanted to go. The vehicle can continue its movement normally this turn.

Collisions.
A vehicle that collides will take damage and damage the object it hit. A vehicle moving at slow speed suffers one wound when colliding with solid scenery (buildings, trees, crates, etc.). A vehicle moving at fast speed suffers two wounds when colliding with solid scenery. Passengers in the vehicle suffer a D+1 damage roll when colliding at slow speed and a D+3 damage roll when colliding at fast speed. Vehicles colliding with solid scenery always go to the stopped speed band. Scenery never suffers damage from colliding vehicles, unless the scenario states otherwise.
Lurkers with CON8 or higher count as solid scenery in collisions. Unlike scenery, these will suffer damage from colliding vehicles.
A model hit by a vehicle can try to dodge out of the way by making a DEX check. If successful, move the model out of the way of the incoming vehicle. If this isn't possible, the model cannot dodge and is hit by the vehicle. A model hit by a vehicle moving at slow speed suffers a D+2 damage roll. A model hit by a vehicle moving at fast speed suffers a D+4 damage roll. Vehicles will continue moving after hitting models, unless they hit a CON8+ lurker.

Firing from vehicles
Models can fire from and at vehicles. Models firing from from and at vehicles at slow speed suffer a -1 modifier to the attack rolls. Models firing from and at vehicles moving at fast speed suffer a -2 modifier to the attack roll. When hitting a vehicle, roll a die. On a 1-3 you hit the vehicle, on a 4-6 you hit a randomly determined passenger. When firing at a fast moving vehicle, apply a -1 modifier to this roll.

Embarking and Disembarking
A model can embark or disembark a stopped vehicle when in base contact with the vehicle for no action. A model can disembark from a moving vehicle...at a risk! The model must make a DEX check. Apply a -1 modifier if the vehicle moves at fast speed. If succesful, the model embarks successfully without further effects. If unsuccessful, the model suffers a D+1 damage roll if the vehicle moves at slow speed and a D+2 if the vehicle moves at fast speed. A model cannot embark on a moving vehicle.

Vehicles:
Car: CON8/5 Wounds/+XBP
Bike: CON6/3 Wounds/+XBP
Don't want to do armoured cars orn tanks as these don't really fit in IMO.

So waddaya think?