Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686605
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: From the Beginning...?  (Read 3545 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
From the Beginning...?
« on: May 31, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
All this talk abt Burma, and that huge pre-order of Hell Dorado I saw around here has got me thinking... :D

Wouldn't it be nice to see how other gamers get their projects up and running, from the planning stage, right up until the first outing on the battlefield? I fondly remember "The Tale of Four Gamers" from White Dwarf, where each of four fellows started a new army, painted models, built units, fought skirmishes, right up until they had their huge bloated full army ready to go.

I'd love to see how Matakishi and the Prof, go abt making their Burma games, how artshiraz gets the Hell Dorado project moving, and I'd love to see any other projects that are just starting. I'm just in the planning stages of doing Spanish Civil War, so I'd be willing to participate in some sort of workbench article, where the participants kept us posted whenever they had something significant to show. (I'd refrain from setting a weekly posting or whatever, as the 2 Burma fiends will probably be finished before I put down my catalog... :roll: )

I think this would be interesting and informative, but maybe thats just me...

Anyone up for it?

Offline coggon

• Scientist
From the Beginning...?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »
What is this "planning stage" that you speak of?  I am unfamiliar with that concept :lol:

"Planning" for me usually conists of "that's neat-I must have one" follows by "and some of those......  and those   and THOSE TOO"
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
From the Beginning...?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:38:39 PM »
I have to say, indeed, that one of the most charming aspects of "Pulp Gaming" is that I can just "dive in" with small amounts, some conversion fun, without having to "plan" for effectivity and avoidance of unnecessary costs, as is the case with the one big company that shall not be named.

Which is to say, once I get my flypaper mind stuck on a "new theme", I either buy a handful of minis to start me off, then paint stuff I´ve got lying around to fit in, and then desparately try to get money to buy the required stuff...

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
From the Beginning...?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »
My planning for Burma is done and my test Chindit has been painted.  :)

I'll be posting updates as I go on my site anyway but I'm happy to post here too. I enjoy seeing how others are progressing with their current projects, I find it inspiring.

http://www.matakishi.com/wwiiburma.htm

Offline artshiraz

• Scientist
    • http://miniatures.mehlinger.net/
From the Beginning...?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
I did plan to show an update here as a matter of fact. I just have to finish my current project (Anubi from Wargods of AEgyptus) which should be tonight or tomorrow.

We will see how it goes from there  :wink:
50°17\\\'60N  8°16\\\'0E

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
From the Beginning...?
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 05:12:22 PM »
Like any other projects I will show you all the progress of Burma one in the forum. At the moment I'm on the start, yesterday dug out my Foundry chindits from the cellar, today I'm looking for other minis, tomorrow I'm going to order first figs, Artizan I think :)

Apart from shopping I'm reading all the stuff about Burma I already have (especially Osprey's)  and will buy some books about the theme for sure.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
From the Beginning...?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 05:22:44 PM »
A Tale of Four Gamers was truly a thing of legend. Most people I've talked to loved that series of articles, GW fans or not. Too bad that once WD finally got around to re-doing such a project (after years of nagging from the fans) a couple of years ago, it was nowhere near as good anymore. Pretty much the final nail in the coffin, as far as my interest in the "GW hobby" went.

But enough about GW. I think most people's excuse for why they're not taking a gander at such a project is the same as mine: I'm nowhere near that organized.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino