Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aliens  (Read 7139 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Aliens
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
Where can I find some proper 28mm Aliens from the movie(s) of the same name.  Also Predators (as in Alien vs P...)?
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
Re: Aliens
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »
per aspera ad astra

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »
The best are the Heroclix Aliens and Predators from the Horrorclix range. Rebased from the clicky bases they're pretty much perfect. Unfortunately they're well out of production and are going for quite large amounts on ebay.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 04:39:24 AM »
A fair few independent miniature companies do some Aliens "under the table" to avoid litigation. Ask around and you may find something useful. Failing that, hit up a clix enthusiast and someone who does resin casting.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:20:35 AM »
A fair few independent miniature companies do some Aliens "under the table" to avoid litigation. Ask around and you may find something useful. Failing that, hit up a clix enthusiast and someone who does resin casting.

Advocating IP and copyright theft are we?  ::)

The Horrorclix ones are quite nice, (have 4 boxes from when the pound shop was shifting them for yup you guessed it.... £3! :D). There are proxies out there, there was also a really nice little blog that I think I've a link for where someone used nid's with a few green stuff additions on the heads, very acceptable. Navarro has also just sculpted a range of alienesque heads that would appear to fit just nicely on 'stealers' what an great conincidence. Think they're being stocked by Chapterhouse, (but then again back to IP issues as though guys also have a range of blantant Space marine rip off pieces, but the alien heads are completely new sculpts so no guilt trips.

Good luck

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »
thank you all.  Very helpful and much appreciated!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 11:45:32 AM »
The best are the Heroclix Aliens and Predators from the Horrorclix range. Rebased from the clicky bases they're pretty much perfect.

Correct, but the predators are too tall. I use the Copplestone substitutes instead.
Anybody interested in those plastic ones? I still have a few...

[size=200]"Brother, are thou prepared?"

"Yes, I am. Mine will be vengeance. Stand thy ground."

"Good hunting, brothers. Let us come over them!"

[/size]

[size=200]"ZZZZZeeeezzze are coming. Will zzzzey beee brave? Shall weee feeear?"

"Dooooo not beee afffraiiid my children. I will beee wizzzz you..."

"All hail to you, oh great mozzzzer! Weee will reap zzzem and spillll zzzzeir greeeeeeen blood!"

"Why are weee heeeere? What issss to gain?"

"Dooo not beee sssso anarchisssstic!"

"ZZZZere zzzzey come my children. Feassst on zzzzem!"
[/size]

[size=200]"Visor adjusted, I can see those. Was thine the right decision? Those are many, brother..."

"Thou shall not fear, the more the enemies, the merrier the reward. I will count skulls today!"

"Come on thou breed of evil! We will cut you down."
[/size]

[size=200]

"Sssssshhh!"

"Can they talk brother? It seems those communicate..."

"Impossible. Keep firing!"

[/size]
[size=200]"ZZZey willll looooose. Weeee willll eat zzzzeir brainssssss!"[/size]

[size=200]
"Now it is only me left, but I promise I will give you a good fight, my dear queen..."

"No! This is not fair!"

"This is absolutely not fair!"
[/size]

Epilogue:

The pit was empty...

...the huge sliding doors went shut.

Silence fell.

Darkness fell too.

[size=200]
To be continued...[/size]

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
Oooooh fabulous!  What rules do you use.  My two boys have just got the PSP game and now want to fight a wargame.  A rare instance of reverse eveolution.....

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 12:07:31 PM »
By the Emperor.
An Imperial base overrun by Aliens!!

Send in the 501st...

Like the buildings, Michi

Offline Sybou

• Bookworm
    • Sybou's lair ...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »
Predators met their death well 8).
Here you can see my stuffs!!!

http://sybouslair.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
That is an awesome report  :o

Also, on another but related note, does anyone know of a good way to strip the factory paint of Heroclix models?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
As linked by Hauptgefreiter, I recently painted some of East Riding Miniatures' Aliens. Nice models, although they do show their age. I've got one pic which I turned in to the LPL in a previous round:

The pack of four xenomorphs is good, although the jumping one with the extended inner jaw is quite clunky. The crouching ones are much better, if a bit sedately posed.

The unarmed Face Huggers are a mixed lot (BTW, I absolutely don't get why Face Huggers should bear arms). The large, jumping ones don't really work, but the "poised" ones are ok. I didn't purchase the "armed" ones, for the reason given above, but also didn't really take a look at it when I purchased the rest at Vapnartak.

The Queen is OK value at ~5 Pounds, although the torso is a bit spindly, and the forehead doesn't really look the part, so I converted her with milliput and some plastic tubing to look more "beefed up".

I can recommend the ERM minis by value for money. Depending on your standards, you might wish to put some more work into it, but the sculpting style makes it easy to adapt added sculpted parts to the rest of the figure.

Nonetheless, the Heroclix stuff, and their Queen in particular, are certainly the best recently out there, but not being in production anymore...

The Copplestone Predators are very, very good. I rate them among his best sculpts, especially those with bare heads. They are rather close to the AvP movies' Predators. Got both packs, very much recommended. Work very well with the Scifi Marines by Gripping Beast.

The latter are also very nice in their kit. The poses are "traditional", and the faces are all a bit "squarejawed", which really is a pity for the characters.

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »
I found myself a queen last week at the red barons convetion second hand shop, at only 5 euros.  Not sure on the mark, I think it is actually a movie toy as it has a `Fox Entertainment` label on the inside of her left thigh, and also grabbed a large facehugger (around 1/6th I think) on a metal looking grill base from the same `branch`

Mind you, the lady is based on the 40mm square gw base, not a 25mm one, so she is pretty darn big and impressive, and that is the `factory` paintjob on her

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »
@ Westfalia Chris

Can you post an closeup of the jumping facehugger.
I want to use them for a 1:35 project, and I think therefor they will work very well.