Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:41:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690739
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any way to use Boer War Brits with Zulu War Brits???  (Read 14471 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Any way to use Boer War Brits with Zulu War Brits???
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
I like Zulu War british uniform very much! But I also like Boer War british uniform....... I want to order both era briths and paint them in historical colour... but does somebody have ANY idea how to use bouth these brits in VSF game?  :? :? :? I mean the game are is somewhere in 1870-1880.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Any way to use Boer War Brits with Zulu War Brits???
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
Well,

the uniform much have changed at some point, logically all units cannot have changed on the same day...

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »

Maybe by using the figures in red tunics as line infantry and the ones in khaki as light/rifles?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »
Feel free to mix them.  IIRC in one of the battles in the Sudan a Regt of Brits wore the red coat as their CO thought it would be more imposing to the Madhists.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:15:15 PM by Sterling Moose »
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline colin_baillie

• Librarian
    • Eclipsing Binaries 15mm Scifi Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
I'm currently reading "The First to Land" by Douglas Reeman, which is about a Royal Marine unit fighting in the Boxer Rebellion in 1900. Not sure if it's 100% accurate but during the story the British Marines are ordered to wear their Scarlet and Blue as a senior officer wasn't happy about the condition of their Whites, which they'd stained Khaki by boiling in tea - suggesting that the British Army retained the red coats while on foreign duty. As I said, not sure if this is accurate, but it does give a justification for mixing both styles.
Good book as well. Worth a read.

former user

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »
if someone please could explain the difference to me?

apart from colour and facings ?

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »
if someone please could explain the difference to me?

apart from colour and facings ?

Not quite sure what you mean there former user. In the main the Scarlet uniforms were worn for home service. By that time, 1880 onwards, khaki was worn more often than not. But personally I believe that the criticism of the army after the battle of Majuba Hill against the Boers prompted the adoption of khaki, critics argued that wearing their scarlet uniforms had been one of the causes of heavy British casualties. Of course that means that the excellent Boer shooting was not a factor. Hmmm. It is interesting to speculate how the British army would have looked on a European battlefield, had there been a conflict in Europe at that time.

As for its application in the VSF environment, surely the answer is in the title...Victorian Science Fiction, meaning that as it is fiction, the options are wide open. Besides British redcoats look spectacular, that would be my preference.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
Just do it :D :D

I have painted Empress Zulu War Brits in khaki as well as red and think both look great so it is obviously something that doesn't worry me.

Don't forget the other theatres of war around this time period either, there were Brits all over the world so how about you set your battles in places were regiments could have been sent from different places and therefore arrived with different kit?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

former user

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:02:02 PM »
what I mean:

A metal or plastic miniature will not have a colour, neither Red nor Khaki
it will have a helmet, with or without spike and badge, a rifle and some sort of webbing.
maybe the modelled cuffs.
So how do I, as someone who does not know much about this topic, do tell apart miniatures that either represent Zulu or Boer wars British (or even Sudan for that matter) soldiers, be it home or colonial dress (apart from some details mentioned above) ???

Prussians that are to be painted in either blue or fieldgrey would be equally hard to tell apart

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »
With tongue firmly in cheek

Gentlemen,     
Khaki on Mars stands out, The Scarlett uniform serves as camoflage.  Now on Venus, both uniforms stand out against the bluegreen jungle, so the Green Riflemen uniform is best, with the engineers blue a close second.

FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »
With tongue firmly in cheek

Gentlemen,     
Khaki on Mars stands out, The Scarlett uniform serves as camoflage.  Now on Venus, both uniforms stand out against the bluegreen jungle, so the Green Riflemen uniform is best, with the engineers blue a close second.

Perhaps this could have led to the invention of camo in a VSF universe. Sending the redcoats to mars and discovering they blended in very easily.  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »
So how do I, as someone who does not know much about this topic, do tell apart miniatures that either represent Zulu or Boer wars British (or even Sudan for that matter) soldiers, be it home or colonial dress (apart from some details mentioned above) ???

I made a diagram noting the most obvious differences between Zulu and Boer War appearance (other than colour). I've probably missed loads of things, but these are what spring to mind:

A Lee-Enfield is also possible for 4) on the Boer War side. Sorry I couldn't find a picture which illustrates the differences in the webbing equipment very clearly (it isn't drastically different anyway).

The chevrons on the Boer war fellow's arm are Long Service and Good Conduct stripes (he is a private). I believe each one entitled the wearer to a pay rise.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »
Gentlemen,     
Khaki on Mars stands out, The Scarlett uniform serves as camoflage. 

Yes, a khaki-clad man would be rather easy to spot if trying to hide in that picture, wouldn't he?  ;)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »
I made a diagram noting the most obvious differences between Zulu and Boer War appearance (other than colour). I've probably missed loads of things, but these are what spring to mind:

A Lee-Enfield is also possible for 4) on the Boer War side. Sorry I couldn't find a picture which illustrates the differences in the webbing equipment very clearly (it isn't drastically different anyway).

The chevrons on the Boer war fellow's arm are Long Service and Good Conduct stripes (he is a private). I believe each one entitled the wearer to a pay rise.

Superb explanation, Plynkes, thanks for that!

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 12:36:04 AM »
Maybe because its VSF, I will use redcoats for Earth and Mars and Khaki as Venusian troopers, because there are jungles on venus, where you NEED a camo if you want to fight lizardmen.