Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF Inspiring poster!  (Read 6149 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: VSF Inspiring poster!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »
Not really VSF. There's no fiction at all. Historical inaccuracy, but no SF...

It is a very cool image though. Where is it from?

Fair's fair, science fiction CAN derive from fully non-fictional parts, and merely be in the anachronistic juxtaposition of those parts. A simple example of dinosaur-riding cavalry should suffice.

Of course, those uniforms existed, could be used ceremonially, at the times those devices existed, and you might have seen both together during jubilees and the like.

The best juxtaposition is adjusting those parts until they suggest a common world. The poster does a good job of inciting my already fevered imagination in that direction.

Doug

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the photo.
Akula somewhere has a photo of them painted in black as BUF cadets! (And a nice painting, too)
An now I remember: they do not wear shorts!!!

Let's hope that someone would release a set!
argsilverson

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
Well said Plynkes. Initially Baden Powells thought so.

***heavy snippage***

We all should probably give Conquistador slack; I remember as a youngling  making allusions to the militaristic nature of boy scout costume and rituals, probably quite cruelly at the time.

I now beg forgiveness.

It was certainly less than appropriate to the  organization at the time; the US was in some upheaval, and we were having one of our semi-regular searches for identity. Some of the wounds could be quite deep.

Still, if you go to a certain Baden-Powell Wiki entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Baden-Powell,_1st_Baron_Baden-Powell

...it's easy to infer that the title 'Scouting for  Boys' was actually a reference to recce training. I think fairly, and I think you'd have a difficult time getting, were he still alive, an apology from his Lordship. He was acting only for King and Empire, of course.

Doug

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »
There's no fiction at all. Historical inaccuracy, but no SF...
Just curious as to what you find inaccurate.  Those uniforms were used on home service well into the 20th Century.
-Tommy

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »
Just curious as to what you find inaccurate.  Those uniforms were used on home service well into the 20th Century.

There are planes, so the picture is from after 1912 (when the RFC and RNAS were formed). Kneeling chap who looks like he's come straight from filming "Zulu" is not wearing a home service uniform, as he has a Victorian tropical sun helmet on. By 1912 these things had gone the way of the Dodo, replaced by the Wolseley. In 1912 that red uniform would be reserved for full parade or walking out dress (khaki for everyday home service wear after 1902), so he should have some kind of cap on (or whatever else is peculiar to his regiment), not an out-of-date sun helmet.

You did ask.  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:34:24 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »
You did ask.  :)
Yes, I did, and I was serious.  Thanks for the response!

I can't tell from the image if the kneeling fellow's helmet has a spike or not.  There was a white version of the home-service helmet, albeit VERY briefly, and I don't recall when.

-Tommy

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
There was a white version of the home-service helmet, albeit VERY briefly, and I don't recall when.

I suspected there might be, but it was the best I could come up with in answer to your challenge. I considered it a fun "Where's Wally?" style diversion for a few minutes to try and find something wrong in the picture.  :)

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »
LAF'er Dan has some converted Scouts for WW2

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=4642.msg68816#msg68816
Scouts with Bren Guns and the like, oh what has the world come too!  Cool conversion Dan.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »
..and the rifles are out of date.  They should have Lee-Enfields, or even SMLE, post 1908, by this stage.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 12:41:23 AM »
I was in the cubs and then the scouts in the early to mid 1970s, but got thoroughly fed up with camping and cleaning dixies (pots and pans blackened on an open fire, insides coated with burnt grub). I left and joined the Army Cadets.  That was much more to my liking - military training, firing guns, someone else did the cooking and cleaning up etc etc.  That could account for the fact that I'm still in the military some 33 years later!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 06:30:25 AM »
I was in the cubs and then the scouts in the early to mid 1970s, but got thoroughly fed up with camping and cleaning dixies (pots and pans blackened on an open fire, insides coated with burnt grub). I left and joined the Army Cadets.  That was much more to my liking - military training, firing guns, someone else did the cooking and cleaning up etc etc.  That could account for the fact that I'm still in the military some 33 years later!!
You must be an officer because when I served we seemed to do nothing but clean lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 07:26:07 AM »
..and the rifles are out of date.  They should have Lee-Enfields, or even SMLE, post 1908, by this stage.

You must have damn good eyes, cause I can't tell what those indistinct rifles are meant to be.  :)

What would you say they were?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 07:38:25 AM »
Not sure, but they look like bolt action but they don't have the box magazine of an LE.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »
The Highlander,by the look of the bit above the trigger looks to me like a Martini-Henry.The picture is a bit like those Knotel prints,widely inaccurate and everyone (well almost) will use it in 100 years time as an example of the British Army circa 1912. The interesting thing is,it is just an propaganda picture......so not too much debate really needed........... o_o

"Of course the army used Martini-Henrys in 1912,that picture says so".

May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.