Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:48:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690837
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan 'Pulp' figure quality?  (Read 5645 times)

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Artizan 'Pulp' figure quality?
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
Anyone have issues with Artizan's Pulp figure range?

This is the first time I've ordered with them since the switch to North Star and the first time I've ordered from the Pulp range and I must say, the quality of half the figures is sub-par, at best.

The Game Keeper is noticeably offset cast with severe mold lines (to the point where, if I file them down, I'll loose detail) and lacks a barrel for his shotgun. Chief Macenzie and one of the Bobbies I ordered also have bad mold lines and lack barrels for their pistols.

What's weird is the Wild West set I ordered with it is perfectly fine. But the WW2 pack they sent (I guess to make up for the two week shipping delay...?) also has some badly cast figures lacking barrels for their weapons...

Anyone else have an issue with this range? I'm hoping I just got a bad batch since I really like Artizan's Wild West stuff...

Offline gharak

• Librarian
    • Aegeus: Age of Mythical Battles
Re: Artizan 'Pulp' figure quality?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:13:48 PM »
Looks like you got a bad batch really, I received the Game Keeper too and whilst he has mold lines I wouldn't call them bad and he does have 2 barrels to his shotgun, Got some pistol armed bobbies too and theur pistols appear fine, some mold lines but nows that 2 mins with a scalpel didn't sort out.

I've had far worse figures in the past.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:16:08 PM »
I have only ordered his stuff prior to Northstar taking over, and have always recieved excellent quality figures with a few minor mould lines, and many that required nol cleaning up as so well cast, and Mike was always very helpful.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »
Bought a lot of artizan ww2 models and never had any problem; report your problems to them, they've always been very customer-friendly with me.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:08:45 PM »
I've got quite a few of their Thrilling Tales and WWII minis and I've never had a problem with either, both before and after the Northstar takeover. Sounds like a dud batch to me.

Offline Cory_d

• Student
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:11:38 PM »
Hi

I've only used the northstar site and I haven't had any problems with any of the nearly 2 dozens figs I've purchased, but does seem to be the way it goes, whenever I get badly moulded figs it's never just 1 it's always 3 or 4.

contact them, they are bound to sort it out for you

cheers

Cory

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:36:18 PM »
I have some Thrilling Tales, Spartan, Berber, and a lot of German WWII minis.  Most of them have been excellent and I'm a big fan.

Sometimes I get a mini that requires more work with the x-acto knife and files but it's only trimming, not reshaping.

I think that their batches are of varying quality but again, most of them have been excellent.

Also, I have noticed that their minis are smaller and less "full" than, say, Copplestone and are totally out of scale with Renegade.  The Artizan minis are more along the lines with the smaller Black Scorpion minis.  Not a problem, but it's good to know so you can plan ahead your collections.

I had one experience with their customer service and I found them to be excellent.  I wish VW and Verizon were this easy to deal with.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:59:25 PM »
I have loads of their stuff from various different places and never had a problem.
I really like their stuff and I think their detail is great.

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:16:41 AM »
I've bought from the 'Thrilling tales' range about four or five times and every time I've had about 25% of the figures were damaged or sub quality. Its usually the weapons which appear to suffer and my latest batch is no different; of ten figures, three have no gun barrels and will require repair before painting.

I'm also less impressed with the over all size and sturdiness of the weaponry in the 'Thrilling tales' range. Their SMG's in particular seem small and weak and prone to undersized magazine's, apparently due to poor cast quality. I've not complained because I usually buy around those figures whch I suspect will be of poor quality, but in my last order, the shotgun weilding gamekeeper 'O'Hanlon', has no shot gun!
Expert in ancient artefacts, occult civilisations and phoney baloney technobabble!

former user

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:30:55 AM »
my order was flawless

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:27:43 AM »
NorthStar/Artizan rated pretty high on the Hammermeter. Pretty prompt service and they are helpful. These are the kind of people who seem to care about customer relations. Contact them and ask for replacements and am sure you will get them.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 03:50:05 PM »
I have never had a big problem with Artizan ( I am in the midst of painting some now), though has anyone else but me noticed that some of their minis have very flat and smooth faces? But if you have a problem drop them a line, I have never heard anything but good stuff about their customer service! :)
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline achab

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:25 PM »
I recently ordered a pack of thrilling tales and a couple of KKBB packs (you can see two of them in my "not avengers" thread on this board). The casting quality was quite good. I'd say rather better than what I got from a Reaper order placed at the same time, but with more mold lines than with Hasslefree figures. Overall very nice. Maybe you can get in touch with the customer service: I found them helpfull.

A.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
I've got a big batch of Artizan Thrilling Tales figures on order right now. Will report on casting quality when they arrive.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 04:32:56 AM »
A bad batch is all it sounds like to me. I've received figures that haven't had a gun barrel or something, but every time I've mentioned it to them they offer to send one right away.

That sort of thing can't be helped, but they do a bloody good job of making up for any errors.

It certainly hasn't stopped me from ordering from them in the past.

As mentioned above, drop them a line or email and let them know what's going on.