Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:10:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696173
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SuperSystem or Pulp City  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Shadowdragon

• Assistant
SuperSystem or Pulp City
« on: May 31, 2010, 03:04:10 AM »
I recently found out that SuperSystem isn't the only superhero miniatures game in existence. So, who has tried both S2 and Pulp City? Is one better than the other, or are they just different? Is there a review or blurb somewhere that describes the Pulp City rules a bit? Does Pulp City have rules for creating your own supers, or do you have to use premade characters?

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
Re: SuperSystem or Pulp City
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:44:17 AM »
Here's a Pulp city Guide.  Hope this helps.

http://pulp-city.com/files/PulpCityGuide.pdf
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:18:12 AM »
I recently found out that SuperSystem isn't the only superhero miniatures game in existence. So, who has tried both S2 and Pulp City? Is one better than the other, or are they just different? Is there a review or blurb somewhere that describes the Pulp City rules a bit? Does Pulp City have rules for creating your own supers, or do you have to use premade characters?

Welcome aboard Shadowdragon.

I ahve played both, starting with Supersytem 91st and 2nd edition; these comments are about those). Each game uses Action Points to control activations through game rounds, and each game uses d6's.

Supersystem uses a goal system (not too dissimilar to White Wolf's rpg system if you know it), meaning rolling counting pools of dice and counting successes. Pulp City uses Opposed Rolls, usually d6+Trait (plus bonus dice where applicable; mostly without) vs opponent d6 + Trait roll. I prefer the Pulp City approach for simplicity and smoothness.

Pulp City uses preconstructed characters, although henchmen (Minions) can be created by players. Supersytem has massive freedom to create the characters and Henchmen you want.

Supersystem is a paid-for rule-set. Pulp City is currently free to download. A new Pulp City rulebook will be published with fluff, hobby material etc; the last I understood was that this would also see a rules-only version available for free download at the same time.

On a personal level I prefer Pulp City (hence my blog), but I think Supersystem has a lot of great qualities and for players wanting near-complete fredom to create what they want it has the clear advantage.

Hope this helps.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 01:17:40 AM »
I haven't played Pulp City, but I know a gaming group that does, mechanics wise, it seems like the better wargame.

I like Super System because I was looking for a game that would enable me to create any hero from scratch, so I think it's down to personal preference.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:04:02 PM »
Welcome aboard Shadowdragon.

I have played both, starting with Supersytem (1st and 2nd edition); these comments are about those). Each game uses Action Points to control activations through game rounds, and each game uses d6's.

Supersystem uses a goal system (not too dissimilar to White Wolf's rpg system if you know it), meaning rolling counting pools of dice and counting successes. Pulp City uses Opposed Rolls, usually d6+Trait (plus bonus dice where applicable; mostly without) vs opponent d6 + Trait roll. I prefer the Pulp City approach for simplicity and smoothness.

Pulp City uses preconstructed characters, although henchmen (Minions) can be created by players. Supersytem has massive freedom to create the characters and Henchmen you want.

Supersystem is a paid-for rule-set. Pulp City is currently free to download. A new Pulp City rulebook will be published with fluff, hobby material etc; the last I understood was that this would also see a rules-only version available for free download at the same time.

On a personal level I prefer Pulp City (hence my blog), but I think Supersystem has a lot of great qualities and for players wanting near-complete fredom to create what they want it has the clear advantage.

Hope this helps.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:04:55 AM »
Had a game rule author recently tell me in a leter that D6 contested rolls with modifiers is "Beer and pretzels"   :-[

I love me some TATF!

If you like Chaos in Cairo/Carpathia, or ever plan to play it, go with Supersytem, if not, that above post is GREAT advice.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:18:38 AM »
Can't add to this, except to caution you (as I have others interested in Pulp City) that it has nothing in any way, shape, or form, to do with anything "Pulp". It's firmly grounded in the 1980s - which is very,  very cool, but not Pulp. So don't go expecting fedoras and heaters and tommy gun duels;)

On the other hand, if that -is- your bag, Super System is customizable enough to create that sort of hero rather than Silver Age type stuff. Totally your call. Both seem to be fine systems, and read relatively well, but I can't comment on their actual play, as I haven't had the chance to play either system.

-Doc

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
Can't add to this, except to caution you (as I have others interested in Pulp City) that it has nothing in any way, shape, or form, to do with anything "Pulp". It's firmly grounded in the 1980s - which is very,  very cool, but not Pulp. So don't go expecting fedoras and heaters and tommy gun duels;)

You're right Doc; although Deadliner when he appears may offer an interesting visual and concept (undead 30's gangster).

That said, the game has never been marketed as 'pulp', but the title has no doubt been confusing for some. The game is named for its fictional city-setting.

On the other hand, if that -is- your bag, Super System is customizable enough to create that sort of hero rather than Silver Age type stuff. Totally your call. Both seem to be fine systems, and read relatively well, but I can't comment on their actual play, as I haven't had the chance to play either system.

-Doc

Supersystem is more custsomizable without doubt; that said I still prefer Pulp City's gameplay.

Hopefully when you get to play one, the other, or both Doc, you will find an enjoyable game or two.

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:40:13 AM »
I wish Pulpcity was a little bit more printer friendly.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline The Gonk

• Assistant
    • Little Lead Heroes
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
Are there any other rules appropriate for Supers games?

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »
Are there any other rules appropriate for Supers games?

I guess something could be 'do-able' with Savage Worlds Showdown.

Offline JayG

• Lurker
    • Worlds In Conflict
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 04:46:32 AM »
I've played Pulp City and Super System and honestly liked both of them.  Neither were too complicated and let you get right to the action.  I've got to say though that my personal preference was Super System due to the ability to customize and create your own characters.

As far as other rules goes; I know there is a free game you can download and print called "Tabletop Titans" but I haven't played it myself and can't comment on the playability.