Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Aliens APC  (Read 12319 times)

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
New Aliens APC
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:47:40 PM »
Just seen this on TTG and thought it might interest those of you into Aliens games.

available from:
http://www.ebblesminiatures.com/shop/m722_lev.php

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: New Aliens APC
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »
.......and a dropship, too.............

http://www.ebblesminiatures.com/shop/ud41_2010.php
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:27:57 AM »
LOL, i just came over here to post that.

That's pretty dang cool, even though it's just paper....

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:51 AM »
LOL, i just came over here to post that.

Same here Supervike,

I already liked the UD-12 and with this added, both are going straight to the top 3 of my To Do list. Just a little re-scaling to 1/72 and i'm set.

The best part about papermodels is that you can actually afford as many as you want...
Tank? Vot kind of dumbkopf name is that for a Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzer?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
Liking that alot, with my experience in building cardstock stuff, I think I'm going to have a go at this.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:46:03 PM »
I didn't see the exact dimensions of the cargo area of the dropship.

Think the APC will fit in as cargo?  If so, that would be the coolest thing since peanut butter met jelly.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
I didn't see the exact dimensions of the cargo area of the dropship.

Think the APC will fit in as cargo?  If so, that would be the coolest thing since peanut butter met jelly.

If your talking about the dropship made by the same cardstock guys then definately/obviously! :)

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
The fact that you can even choose the nose art on the dropship is pretty cool.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:28:54 PM »

Thats a really nice APC model.  The Dropship is nice too but looks more like a Firefly class ship than an Aliens dropship to me (although I would be quite happy to use either of those models in Aliens games, Im just saying).

I have yet to find a financially viable way to print cardstock models in my area.  What do you guys do and roughly how much does it cost you?

By the time that the PDF, card and printouts have been paid for costs usually equals roughly the price of a similar non-card model in my experience.  I suppose if multiple models are required then thats ok, but if not I will usually go for a more durable non-card model.

So, what do you guys reckon that a finished card APC will cost you in total (excluding the value of your time spent assembling etc)?

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »
If your talking about the dropship made by the same cardstock guys then definately/obviously! :)

There is nothing obvious about it....

Oh, wait, yes there is....  ;D ;D

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »

Thats a really nice APC model.  The Dropship is nice too but looks more like a Firefly class ship than an Aliens dropship to me (although I would be quite happy to use either of those models in Aliens games, Im just saying).

I have yet to find a financially viable way to print cardstock models in my area.  What do you guys do and roughly how much does it cost you?

By the time that the PDF, card and printouts have been paid for costs usually equals roughly the price of a similar non-card model in my experience.  I suppose if multiple models are required then thats ok, but if not I will usually go for a more durable non-card model.

So, what do you guys reckon that a finished card APC will cost you in total (excluding the value of your time spent assembling etc)?

I don't disagree much on this.  I'd much rather have a nice solid real model, that I can paint and 'feel'.

However, if the purporse of the cardstock plays a more terrain role, rather than an actual gameable item, I think cardstock makes sense.

I've bought a 100 pack of cardstock for roughly six dollars.  Already have a color printer, and granted this sort of thing will suck up the (EXPENSIVE) color ink, I figure printing out 20 or so pages isn't going to use it all up.

So, I don't know...including the price of the download?  Maybe $25-30 dollars total, allowing me to print several.  Well worth it to me.

Time is a factor.  This models are very time consuming, and can be a smidge frustrating (at least for straight edge impaired folks like me)  but at the very worse, I just have to print out new ones.

I've cutout my previous cardstock stuff while overlapping watching a movie, or some sort of TV show.  It was downtime anyhow, so I don't feel i lost much.

As for the dropship.  There really isn't much of an option out there that isn't prohibitively expensive.

I still prefer the look and feel of real model scenics, but for things like roads, buildings, APCS, etc. I'm starting to think Cardstock is the way to go.  Especially with the increasing options becoming available.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:56:11 PM »
I print paper models myself, too. I really like the ability to print and build the number of models you like (of course, the average cost goes down with each aditional print, too, as the coast of the pdf is distributed evenly) - and to be able to replace a broken model within a couple of hours....

Like the dropship. And the APC. May consider the first for Star Mogul, the latter for the more advanced Steel Town dwellers for Nuclear Renaissance (my own take on the background).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline lostpict

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 04:43:09 PM »
I was a card stock skeptic, but have found the SF stuff to be a really good match.  Here are some card stock models I have done this spring:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N05/sets/72157623906912558/

Jimmy

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »
@ Jimmy:  I like the corridors you've done.   I might be convinced on those.  But I'm still a skeptic.  I fumble up paper models somethin' fierce.  And, I just prefer the substance of real models for my vehicles.  Also I play games with my kids a lot and my 3 boys would have these things crushed/burned/digested in no time.
This is my boomstick!