Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:23:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Russians doubling as Germans?  (Read 4641 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
Russians doubling as Germans?
« on: June 10, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
Can Russian infantry and dragoon cavalry, with their visored, peaked caps double as Germans (given the right paint job, of course) in the late 19th century?  I am just getting into this part of the world, and am a complete ignoramus at the moment.  Guidance would be aprreciated.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Re: Russians doubling as Germans?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:36:27 AM »
Well I am actually have sam problem. AS far as I can understand from you previous topics, you have 15mm. And you try to find proper late 19th russia cavalry in coloued unifroms without result and want to convert some germans.

Actually I want to make this conversion to :)

What manufacturers are you using and what exactly year? I can scan some pics of russian uniform for you.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 12:55:45 AM »
Thanks Fjodin!  You are a gentleman as always.

This

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

is the Irregular Miniatures site.  I can't give a link to the exact photos, for some reason, but if you go to the 15mm page, and from there to the Colonials plage, you can scroll down the page and find pictures of Russian artillery, infantry and dragoon cavalry, as well as Cossacks.

Obviously, the Cossacks would not work for Germans, but what about the rest?

I am one of those cheap individuals who likes to have his figures perform at least double duty.  I plan on buying all of the Russian types, and painting some as Reds, some as Whites, but can they also be painted as Germans?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:29:36 AM »
I am about to buy many Irregular 15mm russians and I've already made some research on these figs.

Russians from Colonial page (http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/15mmRanges/15mmColonials.htm) are same as from Russo-Japanese War page (http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/15mmRanges/15mmRussoJapanese.htm). These are very good sculped and proportioned real 15mm figs. Infantry is near as good as many 15mm Minifigs.

I am not sure if you could make them as Germans because these are Russo-Japanese War and Boxer Rebellion era uniforms. Actually there are 3 major Russian uniform variants: 1) Crimean War (supposed to be in picked hat but in real life most of them fought in fourage caps), Russo-Turkish War (something close to French and ACW americans. Green uniform with kepis and white/green trousers), boxer rebellion/Russo-Japanese War era (green fourage cap and trousers, white tunic. In wither they was all green.)

Now about minis FZ62 Russian Infantry advancing A from http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/15mmRanges/15mmColonials.htm and http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/15mmRanges/15mmRussoJapanese.htm are very well sculped but only in guarding pose (but in 4 variants). If you want more poses you should have a look at bottom of http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/15mmRanges/15mmRussoJapanese.htm (or on http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/15mmRanges/15mm1870.htm there are same russians). These WW1 russians are almost like Boxer rebellion War russians, so you could use them together:
NC101 Russian Infantry advancing A
NC102 Russian Infantry firing A
NC103 Russian Infantry kneeling/firing A

There are also frummer and standart bearer. These WW1 figs are also awailible in revolution helmets! So If you want them to be Reds dont forget to usk Irregulars for this (on this page http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/15mmRanges/15mm1870.htm you can read "Each figure has up to 5 variants. Please note that NC101-106 are available in Revolutionary shlem hat on request.")

I know that this cossak FZ63 Russian Cossack Cavalry  B armed with saber and this one NC108 Russian Cossack Cavalry B armed with lance
Also I love these dragoons:

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 06:39:28 AM »
Here are some pics of WW1 russians I found on other websites:

Lest Irregular MG from WW1 (left are Minifigs).  I havent seen this MG and want to order one RJW6 Russian MG on artillery trail & 4 crew H

And here are firing russian inf from WW1 in cap and in revolution cap (wich is availible on request)

Irregular are on the right (other are Peter Pig and Minifigs)

Here are many figs from different manufacturers but first line of cavalry is Colonial/RJQ era cossacs with sabres and rear line is WW1 era cossacs with lances

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:50:11 AM by Fjodin »

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Thanks for your help as always, Fjodin.  I wish you lived in my area.  When I mention the Russo-Turkish War around here, the general reply I get is, "Huh?"

BTW, were there still Tartars fighting as irregular cavalry for the Sultan in that war, or were they all regulars by then?

Cheers

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »
I am sorry, I dont know about Tatrs in Russo-Turkish War, but only because I havent read a lot about this war.

By the way, do you klnow that in Russian Colonial Wars are nearly donk known to ordinary russian. We even dont learn this in school!!! Even Boxer Rebellion (where russains was participated)! Now I  live in Australia and I am in shock how many interesting historical events I've missed.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 05:25:38 PM »
Powerful film clip.  I'd love to watch the whole thing.

As to what was not taught in schools, is this just a holdover from Soviet times, or just poor quality education, or some other cause?

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 12:33:05 AM »
Maybe bouth things :(

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »

Here are my TERRBIBLE Macro photo of very good 15mm Irregular Miniatures Russians from Russo-Japanese War/Colonial range. Trully 15mm. There are 4 variants of advancing, but here are only 2 and 1 officer. As I said above for other poses you should use their WW1 era russians :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
Those are really nice Fjodin.  :)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Here are my TERRBIBLE Macro photo of very good 15mm Irregular Miniatures Russians from Russo-Japanese War/Colonial range. Trully 15mm. There are 4 variants of advancing, but here are only 2 and 1 officer. As I said above for other poses you should use their WW1 era russians :)

Excellent paint jobs.  A lot of intricacy for 15mm.  Bravo!