Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Would you be interested in...  (Read 7867 times)

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Would you be interested in...
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »
Hello!

I have been looking for some good SWAT miniatures for ages and, not happy with the ones currently on the market, I’m looking into the possibilities of having some made for me. Since it would be too expensive to have a sculptor make them just for me, I’m also looking to see if I can make them available commercially.

Over the past several weeks I have been in contact with various people already involved in the business of producing/selling miniatures to see how they’ve gone about starting a miniatures company. So that I can put together a business plan to set up (in a very small scale) my own company.

As part of that business plan I’m doing some market research as to the feasibility of this project and to see what people would think of it.

So, here’s what I want to do.

Inspired by movies such as S.W.A.T. and games like Grand Theft Auto I want to release miniatures for urban conflicts. The first releases will be 8 SWAT (all in different poses) and later 8 gangsters (of the African-American variety, also in 8 different poses). The models are intended for small scale skirmishes, but I do not want to tie them to a specific ruleset.

Depending on how well those sell I planning more gangsters (Latino, Chines Triads, Radical Survivalists), more SWAT teams, etc. Slowly expanding the range until it covers most, if not all aspects of contemporary urban conflicts.

What I’d like to know is:

-   Would you be interested in buying said miniatures?
-   Would you prefer them in complete sets of eight (retail price’ll be around GBP 12-14) or in two sets of four (retail price’ll be around GBP 6-7)?
-   What else would you like to see in a range of modern urban miniatures (I have a long list of ideas, but your input would be greatly appreciated)?
-   Would you prefer the models to be 28mm or 20mm?

I’m looking forward to your replies.

Thanks!

Jase

PS I’ll put this message on several fora, so you might run into it again in some other places as well.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Would you be interested in...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
Yes I'd buy them providing they were well made and 28-30mm.

However, I have some SWAT that I like (Britannia) and also some from West Wind. I used to have some TAG too but I sold them, how would yours be different from these?

I can always use more gangsters so those would be an almost certain purchase (providing they are good sculpts and not too small).

I (and everyone else here) do not represent the wargaming world in any way so you must take all my (our) suggestions extremely lightly if you plan to start a business :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:58:50 PM »
Well for starts I'd prefer 28mm real scale rather than heroic (ie Hasslefree like proportions). Separate heads would also be nice if possible to add a little variation to poses.

SWAT would be nice with SMGs, pistols, etc. not sure about Afro-american gangsters, I'd prefer italian/european gangsters. Civilians would be very nice as either bystanders or hostages.

But alot depends on the quality of the miniature - I find myself more and more drawn to fewer high quality miniatures at a higher price, than more lower quality at a lower price.

Offline carrma

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »
I've not picked up any swat figures yet so I might be interested in your proposed set.  

As for other minis--I've been looking for some decent 28 mm first responders for ages--doesn't seem to be any of those on the market right now.  They could fit in well with any sort of urban conflict/zombie out break scenarios.

Online M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:05:50 PM »
i would definatly pick up a few swats. decent 28mm. always like to help chaps passionate about the hobby by getting mins made. :) also who would you like to make them?

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »
Latinos and Rastas would be pretty cool. Can't really go wrong drawing inspiration from GTA III  :)

Also what Carma said. "Send more paramedics" :D

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »
I suppose my question about the SWAT would be, what are the deficiencies you see in what is currently out there, and how would the figures you are proposing be different?

Offhand, I can think of 28/30mm SWAT troops from the following:

Eureka (multipart with separate heads. I have these and rather like them)
Foundry
TAG
Rebel Minis
Copplestone
RAFM (REALLY large figures)
West Wind

I think many (though by no means all) of these figures are pretty nice, especially the Copplstone and some of the TAG figures. I already have a fair sized collection, so in order to inspire me to get more, you would have to give me some idea of how yours would improve on what's available.  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

Jason

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:27:24 PM by Hrothgar »

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »
US-style SWAT are nice, but there are plenty of those out there... Please focus on their European counterparts.
If you do some proper riot cops, I'd be seriously tempted.
Especially if they're in Dutch/British/German style kit (i.e. padding under uniform, instead of hardshell stuff worn over). If I could also get Dutch style wicker shields I'd be overjoyed.  :D Make most with nightsticks. Perhaps some characters/alternates with things like bull horns, beanbag guns, (teargas)grenade launchers.

Other first responders; EMT, Firemen, etc. would also be a great addition! There's hardly any out there, let alone in decent quality.
Same with civvies/innocent bystanders. I'd really like to see more of those produced!
Like Dijit, I'd prefer a few higher quality sculpts over a lot of lower quality sculpts for the same price.

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:53 PM »
Modhail, I love your idea about first responders other than police. Firefighters and medics would be great!

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:23:11 PM »
Always interested in new SWAT figs.
I would prefer 28mm, 20 is to small for myself, and if you want to make them for small-sized Skirmish 28 is the better choice.

Would like to have some Yakuza too.

I have the Foundry and Copplestone :-*SWAT minis in 28 and the HLBS in 40mm and would like to add some more ;)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »
I would like to see something that no one has done yet... like paramedics, firemen, hospital staff, Border Patrol, etc.

Also dead bodies (some in body bags) and wounded!  I would be interested if they are really well sculpted 28-30mm miniatures.

Ohhh and of course... Zombies!!!  One can never have too many zombies!

Darkoath
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:27:52 PM by Darkoath »

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
I would like to get a new SWATs for my modern-near future spy game, if quality will be good enough, i`ll definitly buy a lot of them. :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:18:04 AM by Nimrod »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 07:40:48 AM »
Ohhh and of course... Zombies!!!  One can never have too many zombies!

I like zeds too, but I'd rather see this fellow concentrate more on SWAT and first responders. There's lots of the skin jobs out there but few potential first victims for them. We need to keep that in mind. :)

European SWAT and riot cops would be swell, along with paramedics and maybe even some news crews. The media are vultures to this kind of stuff. Unarmed civilians are a must as well. There are few decent figures available that aren't toting arms.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 08:07:59 AM »
Depending on how well those sell I planning more gangsters (Latino, Chines Triads, Radical Survivalists)

YES!
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!