Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My workbench  (Read 360940 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: My workbench
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2010, 06:21:31 AM »
I paint in the living room, often while watching TV with my wife.   The TV distracts me and slows down my output. On the other hand being able to paint in the room with her helps with my ongoing "marriage" project while still allowing me to to make some progress with post-apoc project, zombie project, pulp sci-fi project etc.

Any paint spillage issues in the living room that may derail the "marriage" project.

I like the ideas as I keep getting... some flack... from disappearing in to the work room/office/toy room/spare room.

I never *quite* , in my own marriage, can get my head around how sitting slack-jawed before the telly can be so nurturing to the relation so mostly I don't.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
I never *quite* , in my own marriage, can get my head around how sitting slack-jawed before the telly can be so nurturing to the relation so mostly I don't.

There is a lot to be said for that, although a certain amount depends on what is actually on the tv too.  We attempt to limit the programmes watched to those of at least slightly taut-jawed variety ;) 
In particular I do find that watching something genuinely funny together is positive shared experience and therefore quite "nurturing".

Another part of the reason that I paint in front of the TV is that I am nearly unable to watch it if I am not doing something else a little more worthwhile at the time.  I get very fidgety, and thats even if it is something that I particularly enjoy watching.  We dont ever just sit down on the couch and "see whats on", because it is nearly always crap.

While I am in the "toy room", my wife is often in her dedicated ceramics studio built next to our house.  So we do get up to a little more than simply watch the tube :) 

On the other hand being able to be in the same room as her while painting gives us time together that we wouldnt have otherwise.  It is obviously a "horses for courses" thing, but that is why my small painting workbench is in the living room and not "the dungeon".

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
The living room has a wooden floor so that can be wiped clean if I manage to fling paint on it.  So no problems there as yet.  The chair that I paint in is dedicated to purpose.  As a result if I manage to get a significant amount of paint on it then thats not the end of the world either.

Its what I have done since we moved in together, a long time ago.  It definitely has had an adverse effect on the number of figures that I get painted.  In balance it has helped with harmonious co-habitation overall for us I think.

thanks for the tips
 :)
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
Hi, I'm proud to announce my new wargame dedicated room!  :-* This room will be used as workbench and will host scarce battles and skirmishes.

http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2010/04/wargame-room-finished.html

Greets,
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »
Very nicely organised.

Well done!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2010, 11:57:28 AM »
That room needs more posters, a cork board with post-its, and some 'stumble-bumps.' Speaking of hiding in hobby caves, I get a few rounds shot my way too occasionally. It's an essential nuisance of the process.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »
That room needs more posters, a cork board with post-its, and some 'stumble-bumps.' Speaking of hiding in hobby caves, I get a few rounds shot my way too occasionally. It's an essential nuisance of the process.

You have to love them though, it shows they care!
 ;)

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
That is a nice one!!!
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2010, 10:37:39 AM »
Thanks for the comments but I rather don't want to put my walls full of posters. However I already have a corkboard installed, ideal for keeping trac of ongoing projects!

Greets,

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2010, 01:55:37 PM »
My workbench in October/November (?)

It's changed a bit since then as I have settled in!!!  lol

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
My workbench in October/November (?)

It looks nice and tidy.  I try to keep my painting area quite small and then tidy it reasonably regularly.  If there is a lot of room, then I tend to just fill it up with mess. 

So smaller is better in that case I think.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
It's actually quite  abit messier now...

The drawers on the right are now ABOVE a set of drawers full of unopened flintloque boxes (or opened, but not based or cleaned up!).
The scanner has moved on the left, but now has a CD player and a load of models.
The top of the desk is covered in models and WIP sculpts. 2 of the models just because they have no home as they are so big (GW Balrog and SST Plasma Bug).

I think I'll have a tidy up tomorrow evening.  lol

Online Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
I finally got around to photographing the travelling circus that is my current painting station. I used to have a nice permanent setup complete with cozy chair in the living room, but the birth of my (now almost three-year-old) son Rocco necessitated some changes. Now everything is in an Ikea cabinet on wheels that is normally parked out of the way with the drawers to the wall. It is full of lead and thus too heavy for him to move on his own (he has given it a good try though). Most of the paint is in the case from Silicon Dragon, but some Foundry and other pots are in the cabinet.

Once he's safely tucked in I wheel it over to the couch and put in a good hour or two while the wife chats, reads, or watches TV.

It has worked out much better than I had thought it would and I'm still managing to get in about two hours of painting daily (one before work and one after Rocco is in bed).

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2010, 09:37:36 AM »

Nicely organised paints.  Mine are organised by manufacturer in drawers which isnt ideal, but its ok.  Yours is much better.

It can be a pain to have to put up and take down a painting area every time that you use it.  It is cool that you have found a solution that works for you.

I'm still managing to get in about two hours of painting daily (one before work and one after Rocco is in bed).

Painting before work  :o

Assuming that you work a 9-5 or something similar, then thats pretty hardcore :)

Online Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
I work 7-3:30, but luckily my commute is only about 20-30 minutes. If I'm up by five it gives me plenty of time to eat and spend a leisurely hour or so painting. I'm a morning person by nature though.