Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:13:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 746
Total: 751

Recent

Author Topic: What flavor, your Victorian Adventuring?  (Read 5078 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
What flavor, your Victorian Adventuring?
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:39:53 PM »
Lots of possibilities here:

Mild fantasy:  Like Haggard or maybe Burroughs Tarzan?

Heavy Fantasy: Like some of the more modern fantasy steampunk (Castle Falkenstein), or Burroughs Mars?

Mild SF: Stuff that coulda been, even if it wasn't, like steam tanks.

Heavy SF: Stuff that couldn'ta been, like tripods and ether fliers.

Mild Horror: Like Jack the Ripper or the false-fantasy stuff of some Sherlock Holmes, like the Hound of the Baskervilles.

Heavy Horror: Like Lovecraft and his pals.

Feel free to add in other suggestions.

For me?  Bring it all on.  Captain Nemo should be fighting Deep Ones, Imperial German steam tanks should be fighting Martian tripods, and Rasputin, Crowley, and other nuttfy people should be casting world destroying spells that the PCs only barely manage to avert, while Mahars and their Saggoth armies are preparing to invade the surface from Pellucidar...   :o

Yes, some day I will get help.

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
Re: What flavor, your Victorian Adventuring?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »
I agree 100%. The more what if the better I like it!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:08:26 AM »
All of the above, man. All of the above. I have a Free Norwegian State on Mars, allied with Green Martians and Red Martians out of John Carter, with bizarre mechanicals and some mystical goomgah.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 04:48:18 AM »
I'm fairly mild. I prefer to capture the feel of a Boy's Own Adventure on the North West Frontier.

But I have built a steam tank to fight off Sterling Moose's clockwork scorpion riding Cossacks.

James

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:33:47 AM »
I little of everything above. except maybe the heavy horror. Plus a little dinosaur hunting on lost continants. Or maybe some Chinese mystical and ancient tecnology stuff too.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »
Yeah i'm pretty much all of it, throw caution to the wind and lets have some fun :D

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Tends to be Heavy SF from that list, but yeah, any and all is welcome.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
Tends to be Heavy SF from that list, but yeah, any and all is welcome.

Same for me, the main reason being all that loverly steam-tech that's crying out to be built  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 03:10:49 PM »
On reflection I suppose I sometimes swing to the heavy fantasy/SF. Chairfaces Venusian parrotmen are in the group and I wouldn't bat an eye if someone showed up with an aether flyer I guess.

No horror though. I prefer battles over RPGs and legions of Lovecraftian monsters would rather unbalance a game. Or even one Lovecraft monster for that matter.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »
On reflection I suppose I sometimes swing to the heavy fantasy/SF. Chairfaces Venusian parrotmen are in the group and I wouldn't bat an eye if someone showed up with an aether flyer I guess.

Well the Parrotmen are pretty cool....  ;)

horror though. I prefer battles over RPGs and legions of Lovecraftian monsters would rather unbalance a game. Or even one Lovecraft monster for that matter.

I agree, although I wouldn't rule out a Cthulu game with a Victorian flair

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
Space: 1889 for me, which is a mix of the list above.  Lots of mild fantasy, and a mix of mild & heavy sci-fi.  The British army is on Mars (pretty heavy sci-fi), but except for a single landship is basically historical (mild sci-fi).  Even the gunboats aren't that far removed from the historical waterborne versions, with the (admittedly major) exception that they can fly.

So, basically, I like my VSF very grounded in history, with just enough fantasy/sci-fi bits to make it different.
-Tommy

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
Anything from heavy fantasy to heavy SF. Normally more towards taking conquest to other planets or fictional worlds dreamt up during the VIctorian era or before.  :)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »
Anything from heavy fantasy to heavy SF. Normally more towards taking conquest to other planets or fictional worlds dreamt up during the VIctorian era or before.  :)

I'll agree with that, but add to it. 

For some reason, many people seem to want the solar system to be an extension of colonial Asia/India/Africa, with hordes of local low tech types being cut down by Remingtons and Maxim guns.

But I see no reason for that.  Arguably the novel that has affected the genre more than any other is War of the Worlds, and in that one the aliens actually overpower the earthmen's technology.

I did this one once, which was fun:  The War of the Worlds took place as stated, but when the aliens died from disease and it was over, Tesla, Edison, Graham Bell, Marconi, etc., started reverse-engineering the Martian tech.  Meanwhile, the Martians developed antibiotics.

The result was War of the Worlds II, in which the two sides were much more closely matched, and in which the earth nations took the battle to the stars.  Here they found that the "Martians" were actually Jovians (the invasion was launched from their forward base on Mars), and that they ruled a solar empire of more primitive races from other worlds.  Now all of these peoples were fighting for dominance.

Great fun!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:31:11 PM by gloriousbattle »

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
Now go read Edison's conquest of Mars.

That's my inspiration.  ;)

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »

I did this one once, which was fun:  The War of the Worlds took place as stated, but when the aliens died from disease and it was over, Tesla, Edison, Graham Bell, Marconi, etc., started reverse-engineering the Martian tech.  Meanwhile, the Martians developed antibiotics.

The result was War of the Worlds II, in which the two sides were much more closely matched, and in which the earth nations took the battle to the stars.  Here they found that the "Martians" were actually Jovians (the invasion was launched from their forward base on Mars), and that they ruled a solar empire of more primitive races from other worlds.  Now all of these peoples were fighting for dominance.

Great fun!

Oooh.  That does sound fun. I like the Sanctuary feel of historical personalities banding together in a vaguely SF setting.  Except in Victorian times.  I've just confused myself.
This is my boomstick!