Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Inquisitor Battle Report (Picture Heavy)  (Read 11038 times)

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
Inquisitor Battle Report (Picture Heavy)
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »
My gaming group used to enjoy playing GW's Inquisitor quite a bit, but haven't really done anything with it for a few years.  So on a recent weekend we decided to get out some of our models and play a scenario that one of our group had wanted to run for some time.

I thought I'd share a battle report and pictures of the scenario, since you don't generally see that much about Inquisitor these days.  This game, like all of our group's Inquisitor games, was done in 54mm the way God intended (although nothing against those who choose to play =][= in 28mm ;) ).

In this scenario the players ran the Inquisitor and the members of his warband while the GM ran all of the opposition.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
REF:           Inq/M40-2010.05.29
AUTHOR:     D. Zierhut, Inquisition Archivist
SUBJECT:    After Action Report, Hostile Encounter on 20100529
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:   Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

>>SECURITY CLEARANCE VALIDATION<<
>>VALIDATION LEVEL MAGENTA CONFIRMED<<
>>ATTACHED DATA DOWNLOAD<<
>>RECEIVED<<
>>WELCOME, INQUISITOR<<

The attached data file contains captured security vid pics from the recent field action of Inquisitor Javert and his agents.  I have added commentary to some of the images containing information as best as I know it at this time.  To avoid discovery, our informant within Javert’s entourage only had time to transmit the briefest of details.  I anticipate that a more detailed report will be forthcoming.

As you are aware, Javert and his warband have been tracking the rogue Inquisitor [ENCRYPTED] for some time and they believe that the mutant rebellion agitator Draco is their link to finding him.  Rumors reached them that Draco intended to rendezvous with the outlaw known as “Major Long” in the underhive of [ENCRYPTED] so they dispatched agents to track Major Long in hopes that he would lead them to Draco.

Tag Gutten, their advance agent, along with the help of local Arbites Enforcer Sophie (last name unknown), successfully tracked the Major over the course of several weeks and then alerted Javert to the general time and location of the rendezvous.  It is there, in the crumbling underhive where the Inquisitor and his warband made their attempt to capture either the Major or Draco, that our captured vid pics can begin to help to tell the story.

Inquisitor Javert and his warband.

Overhead images of this section of the underhive.

The warband advances cautiously into the area.  Minutes earlier the warband captured an enslaved scout who had just escaped the service of Major Long.  She was able to give the group the general location of the rendezvous.

Artimus Richtoffen and Augustus Riggs scan the area and spot enemy movement outside the building that is the suspected rendezvous location.

Two of Major Long’s gunmen guard the front door to the building.

Surveillance photos show that both Major Long and Draco are present within the building.

A number of Draco’s mutants have taken up defensive positions throughout the area and are scanning for threats.

Eager to bring the fight to the enemy, Tag Gutten sprints forward while his autogun barks out several shots toward the gunmen, hitting one and knocking him to the ground.

A mutant hidden in an elevated firing position sees Tag and opens fire, but the rounds fall short and spray up dirt at Tag’s feet.

With the element of surprise no longer a factor, Javert begins his advance up the right side of the main street.  The gears and energy cables within his bulky power armor suit emit whirs and hisses in an unmistakable and menacing rhythm. 

Meanwhile, Cyrus Mordecai quickly ducks into a nearby building to make his advance through the cover of the rubble.

A loud an unsettling bellow echoes forth from up ahead as an immense thickly-muscled mutant lopes toward the Inquisitor and his warband.

Javert draws his bolt pistol and racks the slide to chamber a round, loudly reciting the Imperialis Benedictus and asking the Emperor to guide his aim as he levels his weapon at the advancing beast.  Meanwhile, Riggs continues his dash across the street toward the rendezvous building, either not aware of the towering mutant or confident in his belief that Javert can handle him alone.

Javert, sensing that the mutant may prove a difficult adversary, decides they must meet muscle with muscle.  He triggers his comm-link and orders Artimus Richtoffen to send Crusher the Ogryn forward quickly.

Hearing the order to advance, Crusher ambles forward briskly to assist the Inquisitor.  “It’s clobberin’ time!”

Having climbed up to a high vantage point on a walkway over the street, Enforcer Sophie sees Crusher move out down below…

…and she turns just in time to see Inquisitor Jarvert send a volley of precisely aimed bolt pistol shells right into the giant mutant, knocking him to the ground stunned and bleeding.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:28:42 AM by Maniacus »
There's a time for joking around and a time to be serious; this is not one of them.

-------------------------------------------------

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
Re: Inquisitor Battle Report (Picture Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 04:24:36 AM »
PART II

Crusher continues to stride forward at a quickening pace, intent on engaging the mutant in hand-to-hand combat.

The ogryn is single-minded and the rapid autogun blasts from another mutant in the elevated firing position up the street don’t deter him from carrying out his orders to attack.

He moves in and finally engages the mutant who has not yet regained his footing after taking the force of the bolt pistol rounds.  The force of the ogryn’s axe blows leave no doubt that this mutant will never rise again to challenge the servants of the Emperor.

Meanwhile, bounter hunter Cyrus Mordecai finally makes his way to the front of the rendezvous building and dispatches the downed gunman with a swift strike from his short sword.  Glimpsing quickly inside the building Mordecai sees their two prime targets, Major Long and the mutant leader Draco, climbing a ladder to escape via an elevated walkway leading out the far side of the building. 

Thinking he might still be able to catch his quarry, Mordecai sprints around the corner and is rewarded with a perfect shot at the escaping Draco.  He wings Draco with a blast from his automatic combat shotgun but it isn’t a solid enough hit to put him down.

However, Mordecai quickly activates his comm-link and reports the situation to the rest of the Inquisitor’s warband.  Artimus Richtoffen, waiting on overwatch about 60 yards to the south expertly scans the area indicated by Mordecai and catches a glimpse of the two fleeing figures.  Seconds later the report of his grenade launcher is heard as he sends two frag grenades in their direction.

The first grenade explodes on the walkway and sends a stunned Major Long tumbling to the ground, conveniently just feet away from the waiting bounter hunter Mordecai.

The second grenade hits its mark and the mutant leader Draco is blasted off the walkway, crumpling down right next to the downed Major Long.

At this same time, Sid Valentine has managed to run up a side street unseen and climb up behind the mutant who has been sniping at the rest of the warband.  Not one to balk at shooting a mutant in the back, Sid’s well-placed volley from his pistols sends the enemy crashing to the ground below.

His victory is short lived as he turns to sees that a wave of reinforcements has arrived and he is being quickly surrounded.

In a blur of motion Sid blasts left and right, sending several enemies reeling backward.  However, too late he notices yet another attacker approach and raise a flamer in his direction.  In what seems like slow motion Sid sees a gout of fire roll forward to engulf him. 

Further up the street even more mutants come charging forward to come to the aid of their leader.

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 04:25:32 AM »
PART III

Cyrus Mordecai rushed toward the stunned Major Long and Draco and sets about securing them together with his magnetic shackles before they regain their senses after their fall.

Just then Augustus Riggs arrives on the scene and Mordecai enlists his help to start dragging their captives away. 

Tag Gutten steps into the doorway of the rendezvous building to see if anyone else remains inside.  He is greeted with several blasts from the pistols of Major Long’s wounded henchmen which send Tag diving for cover

The Inquisitor and Crusher prepare to meet the next wave of mutant attackers.

Javert explodes and bolt pistol round against the head of the huge mutant and Crusher rushes forward to finish the job with his axe.

Artimus Richtoffen lends fire support as he once again launches several deadly grenades down range.

Mordecai and Riggs manage to pull their captives around the building and Inquisitor Javert sends the now unengaged ogryn to help carry them the rest of the way.

With their mission accomplished Inquisitor Javert transmits the order for the warband to begin falling back.  Just as he triggers his comm-link a berserk mutant wielding a chain axe charges into him.

After barely ducking several swings from the screaming teeth of the chain axe, Javert lunges forward with his power fist and crushes the head of the mutant in a devastating strike.

The Inquisitor orders to Mordecai to tend the burns of the wounded Sid Valentine and then withdraw with the rest of the warband.

>>END COMMUNIQUE<<
>>ENCRYPTION RUNNING<<
>>PROCESS COMPLETE<<

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:52:44 AM »
Are these the 'big' scaled Inquisitor models, or do you use 28-30 mm figs?

Can't quite tell from the pictures.

Nice report, with the right 'gritty' feel to it  8)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:21:36 AM »
Are these the 'big' scaled Inquisitor models, or do you use 28-30 mm figs?

There are a large number of the official Inquisitor 54mm figures in those photos.

The table and figures all look really nice  :-*

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:27:46 AM »
Very nicely done! Inquisitor is one of GW best games (if a little complicated at times), that really gives a great atmosphere to the 40K universe. Great looking minis and terrain and good write up.
Duncan

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
There are a large number of the official Inquisitor 54mm figures in those photos.

Correct.  The figures are all the "big" Inquisitor scale (54mm).

I certainly understand why a lot of people chose to play Inquisitor in regular 40K scale (28mm), but we find that the larger scale does make it unique and really gives you an up-close-and-personal feel to the game. 

And the issue of terrain scale isn’t as big of a deal as many people might think.  Over the years we’ve been pleased to find that a large portion of our existing terrain collection works just fine for 54mm.  You just have to not use those few pieces that are too obviously intended for a smaller scale.  All the terrain in this battle report comes from our regular terrain collection and can be used for both 28mm and 54mm.

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
Great stuff! Are you members of the Conclave?
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/
We'd love to see more battle reports!

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »
All the terrain in this battle report comes from our regular terrain collection and can be used for both 28mm and 54mm.

I expected this to be the case, especially after seeing that shot of the model standing outside the ruined church. Beautiful game, and very inspiring. I'd have loved to have given Inquisitor a go "as God intended"  lol but my wallet simply said "No."

Oh well, maybe one of these days...  :?
My RPG blog: A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
My miniatures gaming blog: A Hard Won Thing

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:17:38 AM »
Great battlereport and amazing figures and paintjobs. The style on the inquistor warband was really cool.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »
Very nice piccies and conversions! I noticed the 28mm terrain and it works decently in most situations. 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »
I really like the ogryn and the muties!  :)

I've often thought of gaming this scale but terrain and the sometimes a bit too toy like look of things keeps me from it. :D

Hope to see more of your stuff!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
cool ! I am normaly not a GW fan but I like Inquisitor and that report was a good thing.
thanks Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 06:00:49 PM »
That city is just gorgeous!  You have done a marvelous jobmaking terrain at that scale.
This is my boomstick!

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »
Excellent terrain, excellent photos and excellent minis. Keep up the good work mate!!