Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:59:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 641
Total: 644

Recent

Author Topic: Inquisitor Battle Report: The Hunt for Kellwrath (pic heavy - updated June 2)  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Re: Inquisitor Battle Report: The Hunt for Kellwrath (pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
I thought that its a great setup  :o Nice AAR thanks for posting this up

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
We've found that the issue of terrain scale isn’t as big of a issue as one might think.  Over the years we’ve been pleased to find that a large portion of our existing terrain collection works just fine for 54mm.  You just have to not use those few pieces that are too obviously intended for a smaller scale.  All the terrain in this battle report comes from our regular terrain collection and can be used for both 28mm and 54mm.

Nevertheless, I can understand why a lot of people choose to play Inquisitor in 28mm (could use the rules and measurements straight out of the book, but with 28mm models), but we find that the larger scale does make it unique and also really gives you an up-close-and-personal feel to the game and your characters. 

A previous Inquisitor battle report from our group with more example terrain pictures can be found here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=20221.msg246169#msg246169

Yes, I can understand the point of wanting to have unique figures with some different appeal than an usual 40k game. And I probably would consider it as well having greater variety of miniatures. That's more my issue on 54mm matter. Anyway, that's just me.
You guys make a great job with your games and reports, thanks for sharing!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to play Inquisitor using 28mm figures? One day I really would love to try the game but with 28mm, I really can’t imagine to start collecting and painting of 54mm, just due to terrain and to lack of too much figures variety.
I have, and it works fine. Like someone else said it functions more like an RPG, than a traditional wargame, and if you like RPGs and wargames then it's a great hybrid. 28mm figures work fine and can have more than enough character and flavour and most of us have a rather extensive collection of them for all sorts of side characters, etc.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »
Theres a website dedicated to it here:

http://inq28.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks, it's a great source of inspiration there, lots of nice figures and converions, too. Will surely visit them more in the future.

I have, and it works fine. Like someone else said it functions more like an RPG, than a traditional wargame, and if you like RPGs and wargames then it's a great hybrid. 28mm figures work fine and can have more than enough character and flavour and most of us have a rather extensive collection of them for all sorts of side characters, etc.

Yes. also the possibilities for convertions in 28mm are countless.

But I didn't want to hijack your thread with all that 28mm talking, Maniacus, sorry for that.

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »

Yes. also the possibilities for convertions in 28mm are countless.

But I didn't want to hijack your thread with all that 28mm talking, Maniacus, sorry for that.

Oh, no problem at all.  Honestly, if our group was starting to play Inquisitor from scratch I'm sure we would strongly consider going the 28mm route due to all the 28mm figures we already have in our collections and the easy availability of models and parts for conversions.

We're just lucky that we got in on the ground floor when Inquisitor first came out and I think between the members of our group we must have at least 100 54mm figures that we can use in our games.  They are a mix of Games Workshop and other sources.  A recent good source of 54mm non-GW science fiction figures was the short-lived Mutant Chronicles miniatures/board game by Fantasy Flight Games that was published a couple years ago.  So they're out there if you keep your eyes open, but admittedly it does require more time and effort than going the 28mm route.
There's a time for joking around and a time to be serious; this is not one of them.

-------------------------------------------------

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 05:18:30 AM »
The Hunt for Kellwrath PART II

Below is the players’ mission briefing and the battle report from the second and final game of our “Casual Con” weekend Inquisitor mini-campaign.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REF:           Inq/0114354311/SR
AUTHOR:     Inquisitor Dunn
SUBJECT:     Personal Log Update
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:   Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

>> ATTACHED DATA DOWNLOAD
>> RECEIVED

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Personal Log Entry M44.59-5

We have returned from our raid on the lair of Karl Demos.  What we have learned of Magos Kellwrath’s plans goes beyond even what I had feared and it is imperative that we move with all due haste.

We have learned that when Inquisitor Darkmoor finally located and confronted Kellwrath he discovered that the Magos had already found the location of the artifact know as      The Arc.  This ancient device was partially uncovered during construction excavations beneath the Balthar City geo-thermal power station.  

What disturbs me even more to have learned is that The Arc is none other than the alien mechanism we know by the name of the Portal of Abraxas, which has imprisoned the demon Gaarvaakkazak since its legendary battle with Inquisitor Hartshorn over a millennia ago.  Magos Kellwrath cannot be allowed to release the demon, or this world, quite possibly even this entire system, may be lost to the Imperium forever.

From the information learned in our raid we have discovered that Magos Kellwrath intends to redirect the energy from the geo-thermal power station in order to open the Portal of Abraxas and release the demon.  We must destroy the fusion generators in order to prevent this, and to gain access to those we must first shut off the power field surrounding them.  My inquisitorial override code should be sufficient to force the protective field to shut down.  Once that is done then our melta-charges should do the rest of the job on the generators.  No doubt Kellwrath will be well prepared to stop us from accomplishing this.

There is no time to linger; we are leaving immediately enroute to the power station to confront Kellwrath.  I pray to the Emperor that we will not be too late to stop him.

In service of the throne,
Inquisitor Dunn

After hastily refitting and rearming following their raid, Inquisitor Dunn’s strike team arrives at the power station determined to stop Magos Kellwrath’s diabolical plan.  In order to replace the casualties from their earlier battle, the Inquisitor has bolstered their numbers with another member of his retinue: Braggeldor Thistlebeard, the infamous squat mercenary.

Sister Sascha climbs upward to gain a better vantage point as the party advances cautiously into the power station.

Braggledor spots a power station guard and quietly creeps up behind him, trying to assess if he is friend or foe . . .

. . . while Flavian spots another guard and tries to approach him undetected.

On the catwalks above, Sascha nears another power station guard who turns in surprise and spots her at the last moment. The guard draws his weapon and fires a snap shot which goes wide over her shoulder.  

In a flash Sascha rushes forward and quickly dispatches the guard with a near point-blank round from her bolt pistol.

With the alarm raised and the battle now joined Flavian wastes no time in eliminating another guard with a bolt round of his own.

The Squat takes aim with his autogun and advances from cover toward the surprised enemy.

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 05:19:36 AM »
(Part II – Page 2)

Inquisitor Dunn moves forward and scans the area for the main control console which controls the protective fields surrounding the fusion generators.  The archo-flagellant Damian 1427 follows along slowly behind him.

As the team pushes forward they hear the loud sound of grinding gears and pistons as a massive tracked combat servitor rolls into view and advances toward them.  The servitor’s rapidly cycling guns spray forth a deadly hail of lead and force a surprised Flavian to dive behind cover.

Recovering his nerve, Flavian stands up and strides forward while the shots from the servitor’s guns ricochet off his armor.  He defiantly pours round after round from his bolt pistol into the servitor’s chassis until it finally lurches to a halt and begins to smoke.

Another tracked combat servitor rolls out of the darkness ahead with its deadly powered claws and buzz saws whirring and clattering. 

Spotting the new threat, Inquisitor Dunn transmits Damian 1427’s activation codeword and in an instant a dangerous cocktail of combat stimms is pumped into the archo-flagellant’s body.  As his pacifier helm blinks off he races forward to engage the enemy.

From her elevated position on the catwalks, Sister Sascha tries to get a clear shot on the enemy with her bolt pistol.

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 05:20:05 AM »
(Part II – Page 3)

Inquisitor Dunn reaches the main control console and bypasses the security system using his Inquisitorial override code.  Having gained access to the control system he shuts down the power fields protecting the fusion generators and then he, Flavian, and Braggeldor place their melta charges.

As the loud report of the melta charges echoes throughout the power station bay and the fusion generators go offline, the rage-filled Damian 1427 finishes off the combat servitor.  His grafted electro-flails lash down again and again against the now motionless chassis of his mechanical opponent.

Knowing that the fusion generators have been shut down and Magos Kellwrath’s plan foiled, Inquisitor Dunn and his retinue look around but don’t see any further threats.  Just then a voice is heard from the other side of the power station bay, “I have to thank you, Inquisitor.  The protective power fields around the generators proved to be very difficult for me to lower, but I knew an Inquisitor’s override code would get the job done.  You fell for my little plan exactly as anticipated.  You are ever so predictable, and for that I thank you.”  It was the voice of Kellwrath himself!

Oh you look surprised, Inquisitor.  I suppose your friend Darkmoor didn’t tell you before I relieve him of his head - I didn’t wish to harness the power of the fusion generators at all; I simply needed them shut down.  You see, they were powering the device that was keeping the daemon imprisoned.  I do so appreciate your assistance in destroying them for me.  Now you are just in time to witness his power resurrected and harnessed!

On the far side of the bay a small man is spotted with cables running from several cranial implants into a console.  Along the cables course visible waves of psychic energy.

Behind him stands Magos Kellwrath himself who starts to utter an unspeakable chant in a vile archaic tongue.  As the summoning ritual begins a strange light can be seen emerging from the open drilling shaft in the floor in font of them.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:28:01 AM by Maniacus »

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 05:20:41 AM »
(Part II – Page 4)

Inquisitor Dunn barks out orders to the rest of the team, determined to stop Kellwrath from summoning forth the daemon.

Flavian begins trading bolt pistol rounds with Kellwrath while he runs to take cover behind a nearby pallet of barrels.

Damien 1427 sprints up the stairs towards Kellwrath…

…but before he can reach his target he is intercepted by one of Kellwrath’s chrono-gladiator henchmen.

The combined bolt pistol fire of Flavian and Sister Sascha eventually knocks Magos Kellwrath unconscious onto the ground, but the diminutive psyker is still connected to the machine.  Having defeated the chrono-gladiator Damien 1427 rushes forward and knocks the psyker down onto the ground.  However, lacking hands and a rational mind the archo-flagellant is unable to disconnect him from the machine and the powerful surges of psychic energy continue. 

As Flavian and Sister Sascha rush forward to assist, Sascha draws her blessed blade and with one powerful stoke the ancient consecrated sword severs the cables at the last moment before the daemon can emerge into our reality. 

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Wow! That's a whole lot of awesome.
Great minis and terrain!
I am not really into 40K but I love Inquisitor stuff!
 :-*

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Excellent reports and cool scenery  :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Agree - excellent AAR and all part of Inquisitor's roleplaying primary focus.

Beautiful miniatures and terrain too.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Yet again, a beautiful set up and great story telling!