Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690988
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Quick question about toy cars  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Astor

• Librarian
Quick question about toy cars
« on: July 07, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
I've seen a lot of people using Lledo and Matchbox cars and haulage vehicles in their interwar (mostly VBCW) collections, and I'd like to add a few to my own forces (although that would require me to own some forces, I suppose  ;D).

I've been looking at quite a few Lledo 'Days Gone' vehicles on ebay, but I wanted to know if the size of the vehicles was standardised throughout the range before buying anything.

I apologise if this has been asked before, but i've been having trouble finding the answer, so I thought i'd jusst better come out and ask.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Quick question about toy cars
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
I've seen a lot of people using Lledo and Matchbox cars and haulage vehicles in their interwar (mostly VBCW) collections, and I'd like to add a few to my own forces (although that would require me to own some forces, I suppose  ;D).

I've been looking at quite a few Lledo 'Days Gone' vehicles on ebay, but I wanted to know if the size of the vehicles was standardised throughout the range before buying anything......

Short answer is no. Made to fit box size. Typically they range from 1/43 down to 1/72 but a lot of useful stuff in between. My best picks are: Crossley tenders, ubiquitous and scale well; Talbots, Bullnose Morris variants, Renault vans and the Vauxhall Prince Henry. The Fords are on the larger side of things but look well with 28mm. The Bedford trucks are exquisite and at a guess about 1/60. Quite  few of the smaller items are quite useable if you are creative with basing.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »
As Carlos says, scale is elastic with regard to toy cars. I buy mine from e-bay, so if they turn out to be monstrously oversized or otherwise unsuitable, I put them back up for auction, so not much lost that way.

Don't worry about treading over previously covered ground too much either. If it was something that had been covered on the first two pages of the board, then I'd expect you to post on that thread, but otherwise I don't expect anyone to go trawling back into the depths to check if something's been covered before. People come and people go and there are always new arguments to be made or new points of view to consider. Worse thing that can happen is that I'm forced to merge two similar topics and I'd rather do that than someone not get full enjoyment from the forum because they were worried about upsetting the mods.

There are no dumb questions but you'll get plenty of dumb answers  ;)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 06:45:30 PM »
I've got a ton of Days Gone cars in the loft. Want me to get the camera and ruler out for photographs and measurements?

Of the cars I mean.  ;) ;)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »
A topic and a Matchbox link from it...

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
So it seems that anything between 1:48 and 1:60 is worth a go, and with that little 'shopping list' carlos has provided, I know what to look for to get the best fit (there are a few nice Prince Henrys on ebay at the moment, so I might pick one up as test car).

Thanks for the help, guys.