Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:44:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ireland in the VBCW  (Read 11541 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Ireland in the VBCW
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 10:04:53 AM »
Jesus wept, that takes the f*#king biscuit! There are re-enactors who play dress ups as O'Duffy's fascists? (no I don't mean Fine Gael) What kind of gormless knobgobbler would want to associate themselves? Leaving aside the politics, the contingent to Spain had to go down as probably the most hapless and inept military force to leave Ireland. Most of their casualties were of the own goal variety, inflicted by nominal friendlies and at one point they effectively went on strike and refused to enter the front lines. Even for the let's play dress ups brigade, fond of playing Confederates and Waffen SS, this is truly weird territory to inhabit.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »
This is not the worst, some of those sites are evil.  An American on one said that he had supported the IRA and it was good to see that an English speaking group had the guts to fight International Zionism....... But I think I am heading into difficult waters here...........
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
Yeah lets keep it politc light, i think we have all lived long enugh to relise that yes there are crazy bigots out there, and they are also on the internet. Now What I want to know is who is going to be the first to try out that GrippingBeast English Surge uniformed bodys and turkish stahlhelm/ Vickers stahlhelm helments. I would but my am hopelessly backloged with my projects.  :(
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 05:46:31 AM »
This is not the worst, some of those sites are evil.  An American on one said that he had supported the IRA and it was good to see that an English speaking group had the guts to fight International Zionism....... But I think I am heading into difficult waters here...........

Even more difficult in that I'm a firm believer in Rule 34.  :-I

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:33 AM »
wow I dont even know what that means.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 06:48:35 AM »
never mind, just looked it up....shudders  :'(

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 06:56:56 AM »
Personally I'd be more inclined to apply rule .303

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 07:15:51 AM »
Ok that's enough distractions! I am going to send a message off to the good folks at Gripping beast and see if I cant get some of those headless Englishmen in serge and some german style helmets for the interwar years and a few in soft caps for the civil-war.
I have tons of flying column blokes just sitting on there thumbs waiting to get panted, and my class's end on the 29th! Time to get panting  :D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 12:49:26 AM »
You know from looking at the Blue shirts, I am thinking they would be easy to recreate using the Auxiliary mins from Musketeer.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 01:50:58 AM »
Any one have a list of what type of armor(armed-cars, tanks) Artillery,  ships and Aircraft that the IDF had dearing this time? And if so any pics so i know what color to paint them?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45:18 AM »
It was contained in one of Gallowglass's links. But a quick praese would be Rolls Royce aroured cars, a few old Peerless A/Cs some Landsverks in the latter part of the thirties and one Vickers Type C for demonstration evaluation purposes ( ooks a bit like a Japanese Type 89, which was essentially a copy).

Aircraft include Bristol Fighters, DH-9s a few Avro 504s.  Eire has never been exactly lavish in terms of it's defence budget and much of it's kit came in teh form of hand me downs from Britain.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 08:10:09 AM »
I found these:

One of four Gloster Gladiators delivered from 1937. They were numbered 23-26.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:12:02 AM by Jim Hale »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 08:22:38 AM »
Is it me or do those helmets lack any liners to give them a nice fit?  They seem to be a roaming all over their heads.   lol

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »
They're sitting too high to not have liners, but that doesn't mean to say that they are properly adjusted. I didn't notice it before you said though.  lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »
Their ears prop them up.  ;)

Actually Vickers sold the Irish a real lemon. The helmets were made of an inferior alloy and weren't splinter proof apparently . Fortunately they had swapped them for British style battle bowlers by the outbreak of the Second World War , oops the 'Emergency'.

And now for some fun trivia.

Anyone care to name the Western European government whose leader sent a personal note of commiseration to the Nazis upon the death of Adolf? Here's a hint: he was a US citizen and his first name was Eamon....