Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:24:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux - anybody playing it?  (Read 5585 times)

Offline syr8766

• Librarian
Re: Malifaux - anybody playing it?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »
Yeah, resource management (cards, action points and soulstones) makes for a VERY interesting dynamic--different enough from Warmachine/Hordes to give it a unique flavor but similar in notion that if you've played those games, you have a sense as to how it works.

The only complaint I've heard (and this is mostly for the newer figs) is that the game is getting a little special-rules happy, but I suspect a lot of those will be FAQed out (Wyrd has been pretty good on that). It's definitely worth checking the FAQ out as some rules have gone through subtle but important revisions (example: the Ronin's Run Through ability went from costing 1 ap to 2 ap--a seemingly small but very important difference, as it takes the figures from stupid broken to just very good).

The only other 'down side' is that because the number of figures per side is so small (as many as 10 figures, maybe) it's easy to go off the deep end and get a whole bunch of factions/warbands. I'm up to 3 arcanist warbands, 1 outcast warband, and I've got 3 more waiting to hit the painting table...

Offline pomes70

• Schoolboy
Re: Malifaux - anybody playing it?
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 03:19:02 AM »
I'd have to agree with the going crazy buying several factions. I have three and would like at least 2 more from the first sets and two from the new sets. I haven't even finished painting everything. I've bought some extras too, like Flesh Construct and Bette Noir..just to keep other on their toes. Need some totem vultures for Nicodem to extend his magic, and just some more mindless zombies, cuz heck, I always play zombies and you can never have too many.  Oh yeah, and some Canine Remains- apparently they make good magic missles...see what we mean?