Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Historical boxed sets?  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Historical boxed sets?
« on: July 24, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »
I've just recived a newsletter of GW about the release of another boxed set called "blood island". Why don't firms like perry miniatures, warlord games or wargames factory try to take a slice of that market?

A boxed set would be a good start for people to start wargaming (just like a boardgame). The boxed set would include 2 factions, dices, ruler and a rulebook (maybe some terrain) at an affordable price: 50 euros or something.

Just some ideas

-French napoleonic vs British napoleonic
-Romans vs Celts, Germans
-Scifi troopers vs zombies
-Zulu's VS British redcoats

Just my 2 cents, comments or a reason why they don't release such sets are more than welcome.

Greets,
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Historical boxed sets?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
There are one or two out there that do... iirc Peter Pig do for a few of their games for one. It's easier to do when you have only two core systems though, with GW it's WHFB or 40k. Wargamers in general can't agree on a single ruleset, let alone how a faction was organised and equipped, so I can't see it working somehow  lol   

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »
Don't forget the basing!
Although, most have gone for a more streamlined approach.
There should be an ISO standard for basing... :-I

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »
There are one or two out there that do... iirc Peter Pig do for a few of their games for one. It's easier to do when you have only two core systems though, with GW it's WHFB or 40k. Wargamers in general can't agree on a single ruleset, let alone how a faction was organised and equipped, so I can't see it working somehow  lol   

Never thought of that problem!

@silversixx: standards for basing would be interesting! (but everyone prefers his own method of basing  ;))

Greets and thanks for the answers and comments

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »
I think Miniature Wargames magazine tried something similar, with 15mm Napoleonic, WWII, 28mm Old West etc sets. I don't know if they were a success  :?

As Jim says, it's far more practicable for GW, with their "you must only use our products" mindset and to be fair, their "Moria" Lord Of The Rings starter set was a very good deal for a beginner.

I suppose, for example, if the Perrys brought out the best ever colonial rules and then sold their Sudan stuff to suit them, it might work.

Do Flames Of War do this? I know they are very popular worldwide with the WWII gang, so I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
Open Fire! has been carefully designed for someone who has never heard of Flames Of War before, or has seen the 256 page rulebook and not known where to start. Open Fire is not a simplified set of the Flames Of War rules, but rather a complete introductory box for a new player!

16 page full-colour introduction booklet. Learn the skills needed to become a famous World War II general.

3 detailed American Sherman tank miniatures.
2 detailed German StuG G assault gun miniatures.
3 American dice.
2 German dice.

The introduction booklet has been written to work in conjunction with the mini-rulebook included with the set.

By Flames of War
   8)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
   8)

Thanks! I don't do WWII, so I was guessing  lol

Nice to see I can get it right sometimes  ;)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:34:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses but I was actually meaning 28mm plastic historicals.  ;)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »
The Victrix Napoleonic plastics come with a set of fast play rules. I've no idea if they're any good or not. A box of British and box of French would probably come in around 50 Euros- they could probably do some good business by bundling them together as a starter pack of sorts.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »
The Victrix Napoleonic plastics come with a set of fast play rules. I've no idea if they're any good or not. A box of British and box of French would probably come in around 50 Euros- they could probably do some good business by bundling them together as a starter pack of sorts.
Then you get the "What, I want to play the campaign in Spain!" vs "You are wrong, I wanna do Waterloo"-discussion ;)

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »
Zvezda (1/72) used to produce boxed games based on a specific battle/period in their "Age of Battles" range.

I bought their Marathon box-set on a whim a few years back when the ancients bug first bit me - I should probably unclip the figures from the sprues at some point.  ::)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »
I should probably unclip the figures from the sprues at some point.  ::)

Don't. Resale value will be higher if they're still on sprues. ;)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:41:36 PM »
Don't. Resale value will be higher if they're still on sprues. ;)

lol

@ silversixx: That's not really a big problem I think, warhammer 40K boxes are also based upon 2 different armies (but those are generic  :?)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:43:42 PM by Belgian »

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »
That's the thing. While 40k is pure fantasy, you can do what you want.
Try fielding a Peninsular force in Waterloo and you bet there is badly shaved, dysfuncional, balding, sausage and crisps smelling 47 year old pointing at your minis with bitten finger nails saying (with a raspy voice you only get by sitting in your old boysroom, living with mum and working as a self-lernt programmer from home):
-Those are Peninsular troops. Why do you bring Peninsular troops to Waterloo? You got the wrong regiments as well, and that white is to bright for a light company. Are you thick or just very retarded?-
 You are a obviously baffled as this is the most sentences this guy ever uttered in a row. Any other person and you'd start swinging that chair, aiming for his head. But, chocked, confused and a little bit sad, you pick your well-painted (but bright-white light infantry) and walk home. It starts to drizzle, you realise its november and that your wife got the car this evening. When you pass th club window, you see your nemesis smug at you while adjusting his glasses with his index finger. From that day you swear that you never do "gay napoleonics" again, and that if you ever ser him again while driving, you will try to hit him and if you miss, you'll kick into reverse and try to hit him with your thick, sharp Volvo door...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:54:16 PM by Silversixx »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:21:35 AM »
That's the thing. While 40k is pure fantasy, you can do what you want.
Try fielding a Peninsular force in Waterloo and you bet there is badly shaved, dysfuncional, balding, sausage and crisps smelling 47 year old pointing at your minis with bitten finger nails saying (with a raspy voice you only get by sitting in your old boysroom, living with mum and working as a self-lernt programmer from home):
-Those are Peninsular troops. Why do you bring Peninsular troops to Waterloo? You got the wrong regiments as well, and that white is to bright for a light company. Are you thick or just very retarded?-
 You are a obviously baffled as this is the most sentences this guy ever uttered in a row. Any other person and you'd start swinging that chair, aiming for his head. But, chocked, confused and a little bit sad, you pick your well-painted (but bright-white light infantry) and walk home. It starts to drizzle, you realise its november and that your wife got the car this evening. When you pass th club window, you see your nemesis smug at you while adjusting his glasses with his index finger. From that day you swear that you never do "gay napoleonics" again, and that if you ever ser him again while driving, you will try to hit him and if you miss, you'll kick into reverse and try to hit him with your thick, sharp Volvo door...

Possibly quoted from experience?  ;)

cheers

James

p.s. Did you get him  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/