Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scotia Grendel Corvus VTOL  (Read 9207 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Scotia Grendel Corvus VTOL
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »
How about the Old Crow VTOL?

***snippage***

(Length: 8½"/220mm, Wingspan: 6½"/165mm)
£20.00

Also comes in a Gunship variant:
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/25mm/raven/ravenl.gif

Link:
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/25vtol.htm

Does the 'pod' come off the ship?  Something ala Starship Troopers? Didn't SAAB have something similar?

Brings to mind my observation that the pick up ships seemed WAY smaller than the drop ships; pessimistic of the whole battle plan...  lol

The_Beast

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
Thanks guys, some good ideas there - liking the look of Thunderbird 2, actually.  :)

I'd also considered one of the GW Tau vehicles, possibly with some slight modification. Anybody ever tried that?  ???

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »
Of course ;)
But this one can be easily replaced  :D
And it doesn't dent the wooden floor when dumped either... ;)

Has anyone ever done this one in plasticard maybe? I've mocked up the UD-21 for that purpose (to see if the scale checks out and whether or not it would be worth while, which I think it is) in paper printout, but I'd like to know before I dish out the cash for the PDFs in this case...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline syr8766

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »
Right, I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anybody have one of these:

http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_42&products_id=213

and if so could they possibly review it for me in terms of size, construction etc.

Was thinking of using it for some Hasslefree Grymn droptroops, as it looks about the right size. Is it compltely solid? No opening hatches etc?

Any alternatives would be considered too...

Thanks

JB

Just a head's up, I clicked on the link above and my security software went bananas (off Firefox). I don't know if the link has been corrupted or not, but FYI.

On-Topic, while I don't have the Old Crow VTOL, I like their tanks a great deal, and I know many who like their flyers. While this might be heresy, what about a GW Valk? They're a little spendy, but nice kits from what I've heard...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
Just a head's up, I clicked on the link above and my security software went bananas (off Firefox). I don't know if the link has been corrupted or not, but FYI.

You're apparently right, I'm getting a site block result as well. Recently, I received a spam mail from one of their mail accounts (I subscribe to their newsletter and have ordered from them). I notified them of the issue and they told me that the site has apparently been hacked, and that they are working on getting it back online.

On-Topic, while I don't have the Old Crow VTOL, I like their tanks a great deal, and I know many who like their flyers. While this might be heresy, what about a GW Valk? They're a little spendy, but nice kits from what I've heard...

On the Corvus, I think it is a decent kit all in all, but it shows its age in size and style. I've got one which I "Aliensified" a little bit, but it is small even next to slender 28s or 25s.

I think it would work great with 20mm or 15mm figures, but it's a tight fit even for Grymn.

For more suitable, I support the Old Crow and even the GW Valkyrie options. All Old Crow stuff I've handled so far (none of the flyers, though), were well-cast and great value for money. The GW Valkyrie is a great kit, to my mind easily the best in the last 10 years. I got one on a whim and didn't regret it; painted it in a "Neo-Soviet Gunship" scheme, but haven't used it since.

It's a great kit, but I cannot judge how well it would work with the Grymn, size-wise. On the other hand, I think all the "Imperial" insignia are separate parts on the kit, so at least the "insignial" conversion would be easy - pilots and stuff possibly less so.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 12:26:28 AM »
What about the old GZG T.I.T (tactical interface transport iirc) - I think it's OOP but you might be able to find one on ebay. It was made for the true 25mm range of figures so would suit the Grymm.

Offline gothique

• Student
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »
UD12 Chickenhawk free at www.toposolitario.com

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
I've been hearing bad things about Old Crow's delivery times recently, so if I went that way I'd have to wait until I got to a show to pick it up in person...

... by which time I wouldn't want it...

Thanks for the reply though.

I've never had any trouble off Old Crow - but I admit that its been a few months since I last ordered anything off them!

I'm more worried by McAfee throwing up a phising advisory warning when trying to access their site!

Anybody know anything about this?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 09:04:53 PM »
I've never had any trouble off Old Crow - but I admit that its been a few months since I last ordered anything off them!

I'm more worried by McAfee throwing up a phising advisory warning when trying to access their site!

Anybody know anything about this?

I didn't get that warning at Old Crow's page, but with the Scotia Grendel Webstore. As said above, I think with Scotia Grendel, it's got to due with the recent hacking. I'm more than miffed, since I wanted to order some minis for my ABC Warriors project, but I probably won't until they sort it out properly.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »
I didn't get that warning at Old Crow's page, but with the Scotia Grendel Webstore. As said above, I think with Scotia Grendel, it's got to due with the recent hacking. I'm more than miffed, since I wanted to order some minis for my ABC Warriors project, but I probably won't until they sort it out properly.

Sorry for not being clear - I didn't mean Old Crow but Scotia Grendel website for the warning!

First I've heard about them being hacked, don't you just hate scum who do that - thats people livelyhood they're messing with and it would be awhile (if ever) before I shopped SG again! I just wouldn't trust the site again! >:(