Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:54:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hobbit and Necromancer  (Read 3607 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
Hobbit and Necromancer
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
A really old skool idea for a D&D campaign

For some reason, the section of The Hobbit that really hooked me was when
Gandalf left the party outside Mirkwood because of his "pressing business, away
south." Somehow, the hints given about the Necromancer in the Hobbit, were
particularly chilling, and I was very curious whether or not we'd ever learn
more about this sisnister being.

Of course, it turns out that we learn much more about him indeed, and I always
wanted to play this as a D&D campaign.

The players are Beornings and maybe a few dwarves from the edges of Southern
Mirkwood. The Necromancer has arisen and is causing trouble, and a certain
meddling grey bearded wizard wants some "adventurers" (read: expendable
meatshields) to go spy the place out. Is it an easterling magician causing
trouble? Is it one of the ringwraiths? Is it something far worse...

Anyway, I was thinking of doing something kinda campaign based, where a few
adventures in the wilds would be necessary to gain a few items and find a way to
sneak in. Just bull-rushing the front gate wouldn't be wise.

What suggestions for Dol Guldur and Southern Mirkwood? What enemies do you run
into there? From the dwarves' experience, the wood elves would seem to be almost
as dangerous as goblins. Also, any material out there that could be scavenged
for D&D, like from GWLOTR or the old MERP system? Anything I could find
wandering free on the web would be a bonus.

Thanks

Offline B. Basiliscus

• Scientist
  • Bless us and splash us, my precious!
Re: Hobbit and Necromancer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:23:47 PM »
Odd how I just started reading the LOTR series and this thread pops up.

For enemies near murkwood I suggest giant spiders.
Lots and lots of giant spiders.

Barrow-wights could make an interesting "shit we can't fight that, run away!" encounter.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:26:09 PM »
I have a few MERP pdfs I got of the web many years ago. PM me if you want any.

Rob

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »
Odd how I just started reading the LOTR series and this thread pops up.

For enemies near murkwood I suggest giant spiders.
Lots and lots of giant spiders.

Barrow-wights could make an interesting "shit we can't fight that, run away!" encounter.

The cool thing about giant spiders is you can pick 'em up fully painted and for cheap at the local Dollar Store, Big Lots, or whatever.  :D

I have a few MERP pdfs I got of the web many years ago. PM me if you want any.

Rob

PM on the way!  Thanks!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:34:04 AM »
Memory's a bit sketchy but might there be any wargs knocking about? There's got to be the odd troll lurking around as well and even if there isn't one in the book a Will o' the Wisp would be fun too...  >:D

Every evil wizard's lait has to have a handy back entrance/tunnel leading in - it would have to be guarded by something nasty of course - zombie dragon anyone?

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:55:32 AM »
There are orcs in the Necromancer's tower and worse things. What those things are is never mentioned. But back in the first age Sauron was called the "The Lord of Werewolves" and lived on Werewolf Island.

Offline B. Basiliscus

• Scientist
  • Bless us and splash us, my precious!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 02:38:37 AM »
If memory serves he also raised a werewolf from a pup to kill the greatest werewolf ever.
Them Middle Earth werewolves are more akin to huge intelligent wolves than anthropomorphic murderbeasts.
I think some skulking little creatures like Gollum could work as fodder enemies.
Just some nasty little mutants twisted and warped by his power, or something.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:53:15 AM by B. Basiliscus »

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:42:27 AM »
Well aside from the Necromancer, I'd say some lesser evil spirits wouldn't be out of the question.  So Barrow Wights or a lesser form of undead would be appropriate.  Goblins wouldn't be out of place either, there are the wood elves but they would be drawn to their master.  Other than that, I'd go with whargs, bat / raven swarms and giant spiders.  A werewolf would make an interesting second in command though.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:53:35 AM »
Go old school with the creatures too, sprites, spriggans, bodrigis, stuff from fairy tales. Witches, posessed animals, children in strange houses made form confection, animated and bewitched household objects. These are the influences Tolkien drew on, so do the same.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »
There are orcs in the Necromancer's tower and worse things. What those things are is never mentioned. But back in the first age Sauron was called the "The Lord of Werewolves" and lived on Werewolf Island.

Straight from the Silmarillion.  Maybe some memento of those times would be appropriate.

Well aside from the Necromancer, I'd say some lesser evil spirits wouldn't be out of the question.  So Barrow Wights or a lesser form of undead would be appropriate.  Goblins wouldn't be out of place either, there are the wood elves but they would be drawn to their master.  Other than that, I'd go with whargs, bat / raven swarms and giant spiders.  A werewolf would make an interesting second in command though.

He is the Necromancer, after all.  Yeah, probably a wight or two.

Go old school with the creatures too, sprites, spriggans, bodrigis, stuff from fairy tales. Witches, posessed animals, children in strange houses made form confection, animated and bewitched household objects. These are the influences Tolkien drew on, so do the same.

Neat thought.  I am not sure just how far I would go in that direction.   A gingerbread house would be a little much, but, certainly, hobbits and goblins draw on this tradition.  Good thought!

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 09:31:52 PM »
Bandits wouldn't be out of the question.  After all the hearts of men are easily corrupted.   ;)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 10:30:27 PM »
Bandits wouldn't be out of the question.  After all the hearts of men are easily corrupted.   ;)

"After the victory of the Lords of the West those of the evil Men who were not destroyed fled back into the east, where many of their race were still wandering in the unharvested lands, wild and lawless, refusing alike the summons of the Valar and of Morgoth. And the evil Men came among them, and cast over them a shadow of fear, and they took them for kings.

"Then the Valar forsook for a time the Men of Middle-Earth who had refused their summons and had taken the friends of Morgoth to be their masters; and Men dwelt in darkness and were troubled by many evil things…And the lot of men was unhappy."

Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »
Why not throw in a corrupted huorn or other plantish spirit? After all, Tolkien very often mentioned trees being able to move around, blocking paths etc. I wouldn't go as far as using evil ents, but something more like Old Man Willow.

Basically, think of creaturs that would live in a forrest. Now turn that forrest into a mirky, twisted shadow of itself. What would happen to the wildlife? Mybe fiece stags gone mad under the evil influence of Dol Guldur? Maybe strange fungi and molds? Weird looking scavanger birds?

Of course, orcs and trolls. One or two of those flying beasts of the Nazgul? Or maybe whatever was used to breed them (twisted eagles). Undead are always good.

I'd go for something that represents the slow perverting aspect of Saurn's evil. Spirits rather than zombies. Inbred woodmen who hide from the wrath of the Dark Lord yet in doing so sealed their own doom, becoming a cannibalistic society. These kinds of things would make sense to me.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!