Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tramp Steamer Contest  (Read 66137 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2007, 01:27:01 AM »
Neldoreth: I love how playable you have made it! All the floors and rooms in place means an entire adventure could take place on it. Or have it stranded in some Antarctic ice with giant killer penguins with glowing red eyes closing in.  :lol:
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
    • http://www.tabletop-terrain.com
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2007, 05:01:53 AM »
Yes good lord you went full steam ahead with the internal detail!

My secret plan was just to find some deck plans and print them out for any games involving moving about inside the steamer!

Mainly because I'm too lazy to build interior work like that :)

I like your hatches and doors too, might have to borrow those designs for the resin pieces I still hope to create...
Tabletop Terrain Gaming in 28 and 15mm!

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Overlord's Finished Tramp Steamer: SS Endeavor.
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2007, 11:59:34 PM »
Just in the nick of time!  Heres my Tramp Steamer:

The Radio romm. Handy for some games as an objective/place to defend/send a desperate message from.

Cargo containers on the deck mean I can use it for modern (or future) scenarios.

The pictures could be better as they were a bit hurried. Hopefully I will sort some better ones out in the next day or so.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2007, 12:02:43 AM »
WOW  :o Overlord I buy it  :love:
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2007, 12:11:24 AM »
I want to buy all of them! I would have a whole shipping fleet!

Seriously. Excellent job!

I can't believe the quality work that Tabletop, Overlord, and Neldoroth put out. It's inspiring!

Now, everyone who got theirs in needs to PM me with their address. I'll be sending out some tramp steamer figures from Brigade Games to all three of the ship builders. If you have a preference for which pack, let me know as well.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
Quote from: "Operator5"
I want to buy all of them!

me too  :love:

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2007, 09:04:39 AM »
Tabletop, Overlord, excellent ships! Thanks for sharing, it has been greatly inspiring :) Thanks to the Operator for sponsoring this little competition, and thanks to everyone for their positive feedback!

n.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2007, 09:46:09 AM »
All the three are marvelous, and in so little time! Congratulations!
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2007, 10:39:11 AM »
Overlord your detailing is great too imho. Nice to see you sculpted some air funnels. I'm going to gleefully steal that idea. I detect chicken wire too, and like the way you've used it around the upper platform. I'd also award you points for curving the stern of your ship convincingly - I was too lazy to attempt that :). Yours has a nicely African feel to it too...I can see it steaming haltingly up the Congo...

I have to agree this has been quite an interesting contest. I'd seriously consider building a second steamer, improving it with what I learned from the first and with the inspiration from Neldoreth and Overlord's vessels. Now of course, we're all left with the rather daunting task of painting the things! Ack! Any tips for stopping light card from warping while painting?

And Operator5 is very generous to award us all prizes. Thanks man! I'll post something up on my humble blog for sure and I'm looking forward to Fantastic Worlds too.

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2007, 12:21:35 AM »
:o  I must say!  (with a James Earl Jones voice) Impressive!

Don't get me wrong but is it actually "playable"...don't you need a VERY large table to play on? What about scenarios?

Still I think it is ultra-cool to have  a steamer, just wondered if there isn't only a very limited range what you can do with it...if it actually will enhance the scenario...

D.

I think I need to build one myself  :D
Ex-Kieler in Down Under

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »
I can think of a few scenarios straight off the bat, the most obvious being a 'rescue from the hold' type affair, possibly involving a plucky reporter and his faithful fox terrier? How about a 'what's being smuggled in the hold' scenario? Both involving using stealth and guile to get aboard and below decks on a tramp steamer docked somewhere (requiring minimal table space, I've built a Mordheim 4'x4' dockside table in the past).

Staying with Tintin inspired scenarios how about some basic ship based fun like dousing a fire in the hold/boiler room? Or even just a stand up gun battle above and below decks.

Tramp steamers could travel up rivers too which could give you a number of scenarios involving gun battles between ship and shore, or boarding/repelling boarders type scenarios, possibly involving dugouts filled with angry (and hungry) natives? How about escaping out of a jungle table back to the ship?

Using a piece of blue material you've got an instant 'wide open' sea table. Then of course you'll need additional vessels. Like a second trampie, or one of Brigade Game's excellent looking U-Boats. Rinse and repeat the above ideas with ship to ship battles maybe?

Just some random thoughts!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2007, 01:53:26 AM »
Beautiful ships.

One scenario that would be quite odd ball is keeping the old Tub afloat a bit like round the world in 80 days. Figures would have to throw things overboard perhaps while fighting....add figures of choice, until off the table

or the classic sea monster attack!!!

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2007, 02:00:49 AM »
Heh. Nice suggestion! Something about a 'Hold the Old Girl Together' type scenario appeals to me...

I can imagine you could have all kinds of fun making players work to stop the trampie from sinking while trying to reach port :)

Sea monsters? Hmmm a chance to build a 28mm scale R'lyeh and denizens!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2007, 07:08:14 AM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"

One scenario that would be quite odd ball is keeping the old Tub afloat a bit like round the world in 80 days.

"Lord Jim" starring Peter O'Toole is a good movie to watch for the atmosphere of that, but for a scenario would want to mix it with pirates or something... and "Lord Jim" has a bit of that sort of thing, too, but later in the movie.  Actually, "Lord Jim" is a pretty good story for a Pulp adventure.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Tramp Steamer Contest
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2007, 08:30:52 AM »
Well done guys, all very impressive. I am so impressed with how easy its eems these have been to create. A real inspiration fo rme, I wouldn't have kown where to start. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing