Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:52:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690590
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "First to Land" by Douglas Reeman  (Read 2895 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
"First to Land" by Douglas Reeman
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »
Found "First to Land" by Douglas Reeman in a local library and read it.  It's about a British captain of Royal Marines involved in the Boxer Rebellion.  Reeman manages to scramble up a lot of Boxer Rebellion action in a blender and serve up a book that seems like it's about half combat action.  There's a boarding action to save a merchant ship, a trip up a river on a gunboat, a journey by train with Seymour's relief expedition, an attack on a fortified Chinese arsenal, and a bitter defense of Tientsin versus Chinese attacks.  In between all this combat action is a set of family matters and a romantic affair that seems rather implausible to me.  Oh well, it's manly stuff in a straightforward style that constitutes mildly diverting entertainment.  Don't go far out of your way to find it, but if you run accross it and you are in a colonial reading mood, give it a try.  Definately some scenarios in there.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: "First to Land" by Douglas Reeman
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:47:21 PM »
I thought that the one before it (Badge of Glory) was slightly better in some ways.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
I've got them both on my book shelf :)

I'll give them a go next time I need to get my head into China mode. 8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
It's only the second one for China, the first one covers anti-slavery patrols on the coasts of Africa (1850) and then the Crimea.

Third in the series goes to WWI

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »
It's only the second one for China, the first one covers anti-slavery patrols on the coasts of Africa (1850)

Even better :)

They might have stayed on the shelf gathering dust for years, and I'd never have known, cheers 8)

Offline colin_baillie

• Librarian
    • Eclipsing Binaries 15mm Scifi Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
"First to Land" is well worth read if you fancy gaming the Boxer Rebellion. The romantic subplot feels bit dated and the author had a strange tendancy to jump between different character perspectives unexpectedly, so I found myself going back a paragraph or two on more than one occasion.
The set pieces are well worth a read, especially the riverboat sequence which would make a great game senario.
I wasn't sure about the British Marines wearing Red uniforms during parts of the story - were these still used at all in 1900??

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »
I was wondering about the red uniforms too.  While these might have been available as a "dress uniform," I have my doubts they would have been used by British Royal Marines in the field in the Boxer Rebellion.  Hopefully somebody who knows will chime in.

Another tidbit: Reeman refers to a potential award of the Victoria Cross as far back as the Crimean War (I think), and I thought that award was only introduced much later, perhaps the 1870's. That's another thing to look up.  Anyway, I'm sceptical of Reemans historical accuracy.

I noticed that Reeman skipped around in the point of view between characters even within the body of a paragraph!  It's rare in my reading experience to see that.  I've read some of Reeman's work before, and it has the feel of hastilly generated pulp.  There's plenty of combat though, which is fun.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
The first VCs were indeed awarded for acts performed during the Crimean War (over a hundred), including several at the Charge of the Light Brigade. A shedload were also given out after the Mutiny (that's when Flashman got his).

Blue tunics, tropical whites and also khaki uniforms were worn by the RMLI at various points in the Peking campaign. The dress uniform in that period was still red, but I agree that it being worn in the field is unlikely.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »
Anyone read the Anthony Conway books about Captain John Caspasian set in the 20's? Custom designed for BoB scenarios being set in tribal India, warlord China, Egyptian deserts. Last one even has hijacked airships and a secret island base!

I bought them all off ebay with my credit card, just before Northern Rock got into trouble  ;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
When I was on my first contract in the Middle East I read loads of the Reeman naval books as that was about all the library had! Maybe a dozen or more. They are formulaic certainly but they rattle along at a good pace, and are as readable as a lot of other fiction I have read since. The Marine saga I actually found the weakest.

Anyone read the Anthony Conway books about Captain John Caspasian set in the 20's? Custom designed for BoB scenarios being set in tribal India, warlord China, Egyptian deserts. Last one even has hijacked airships and a secret island base!

I have a signed copy of the Warlord China one which I got after reading a paperback. IIRC Empress Keith had the paperback from me.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"