Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:28:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Falklands war 28mm?  (Read 9909 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Falklands war 28mm?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »
Many thanks, I've not seen that one although I do see some naughty individual has posted  what looks like the whole film on youtube.

I did pick up a copy of Iluminados por el fuego in BsAs a few years ago, very good little film about the Falklands/ Malvinas War from an Argentine perspective. If you've seen that wonderful scam film by Bielensky  Nuevas reinas/ Nine Queens you'll recognise the lead actor Gaston Pauls.

Thanks Carlos. On Amazon it's called "Blessed by Fire." I typed in your title and both appeared.

I've ordered the movie so I'll wait and see.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »
Pleasure, I think you'll enjoy it. It really deals with the shitty treatment the Argentine veterans received during and after the war. When I was there I had a look around to see if I couldn't find a Malvinas campaign medal. seemed to be as rare as hens teeth and when I did locate one they were very expensive. Nazi medals, on the other hand, were two a penny.

The Malvinas memorial in BsAs is a rather curious affair, sitting as it does almost in the shadow of a clock tower that was based on Big Ben. Highlights the considerable irony of the war as there is a substantial British expat community in Argentina with Polo and cricket clubs, even English speaking private schools.

Not war related but if you fancy seeing a good recent film on the Dirty War era, look out for Kamchatka, about a family on the run from the junta. Great film.

Oh and I watched the youtube version of Mi mejor enimigo, that was wonderful thanks for the tip. I will now have to buy a copy to assuage my guilt. Put it on the shelf next to Machuca, the other great Chileno film of the decade.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »
Thanks Carlos. I also ordered "Argentine Fight for the Falklands " so I'm looking forward in reading this accout.

Has anyone bought a copy of "Falklands War then and Now" on the conflict? If so any recommendations please, Thank you.

Helen

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 09:20:58 AM »
Thanks Carlos. I also ordered "Argentine Fight for the Falklands " so I'm looking forward in reading this accout.

Has anyone bought a copy of "Falklands War then and Now" on the conflict? If so any recommendations please, Thank you.

Helen

Desperately want to, but just can't afford it  :'(

There was an older, smaller version published some years back as part of the magazine series. That was very good, so I'd hope this is a bigger and better version. All the reviews I've seen have been very positive and a couple of old mates who fought there said it is very accurate and evocative.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »
Thanks GM. I saw some reviews and they were quite good.

I too in my army days met a Para sergeant on exchange who had been to the Falklands and was actually wounded by small arms.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »
Razors Edge is also an excellent book. Dont be put off by the cover (Thatcher in an eyepatch!).

The information it contains on the infantry battles is very good, especially for Wargamers.

(hmmm..where did i put my copy again... lol)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 02:11:47 AM »
Kevin Dallimore's GB Argies posted on Steve Dean's site

http://www.sdean-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24168
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 04:30:41 AM »
Wow, nice eye candy! Inaccurately but none the less, prettily, painted.

Must remember to add GB moderns to my list.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »
Is it just me or are South Americans generally poorly represented in miniature?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
No, it's not just you. The only dedicated ranges I can think of are the Grenadier Productions range for the wars of independence, the old Frei Corps War of the Triple Alliance range and the recently announced plastic Paraguayans from Wargames Factory (which look like fairly ordinary sculpts), all in 15mm. IIRC someone was talking about or possibly producing a  small range of 15mm figures for the War of the Pacific.

Trouble is, there is next to zero knowledge of the various conflicts in the Anglophone world and as such not much interest, which is a considerable pity as not only are some of the wars rather interesting in and of themselves but they feature exotic uniforms and equipment. Even the rather good Foundry book on the War of the Triple Alliance/Guerra do Paraguai hasn't seemed to spark much interest. And there's the other problem. Much of the source material is in either Spanish or Portuguese, which makes it a non-starter for the bulk of the wargaming world.

I've been toying with the idea of commissioning a decent range for the latter in 28mm. Possibly a project for next year starting with Paraguayan and Brazilian infantry.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 03:24:45 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of commissioning a decent range for the latter in 28mm. Possibly a project for next year starting with Paraguayan and Brazilian infantry.

I have also been thinking along the same lines... I didn't get past thinking about it, though. I have the foundry book, so the sculptor wouldn't need too much more info than the dolly pics, right?

I did consider converting napoleonics, but that is probably beyond my means at this stage. Also, a 28mm Artigas and gaucho contingent would be magnificent.

Also, you mentioned playing out the Argentine/Chilean conflict. From a quick bit of research it looks like they used a stallhelm, and still do but it is perhaps ceremonial more than anything else.

There are some decent pics in this article:
http://susanrosenthal.com/general/what-happened-in-chile-an-analysis-of-the-health-sector-before-during-and-after-allendes-administration

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 04:27:28 AM »
By 1978 they were both wearing US M1 pots with field dress. The principal difference between the two is the personal equipment and the small arms. The Chilean Army carried the Swiss SiG 510, which is a fairly distinctive looking weapon. Their marines used HK G-3s. The Argentines, of course, used FALs. If you were doing this in 6mm or even 15mm you could get away with West Germans for the 1980s, like the Ros Heroics ones. Of course it's such a niche interest I can't see anyone wanting to make them and about the only other thing 1970s Chilean troops were useful for was murdering their own people (bit like the Argentines actually). Fun scenario though, as the Brazilian army mobilised along the southern frontier when it discovered the Argentines had.

I probably will go down the commissioning route  for the WTA next year. I have a sculptor in mind and would probably sell them through Eureka.

Some generic gaucho types would be useful, you can cover off about half a dozen small wars with these as either Argentines or Brazilians. The Guerra Cisplatina has always been my pet project. The Argentines can be converted from Perry French and the Brazilians from Portuguese, if you aren't too fussy. I have a wonderful Brazilian army staff study from the 1920s that has probably more than everything you ever wanted to know about it.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 02:33:57 PM »
late to the party - but the Mo-Fo Falklands War stuff is lovely... have loads of the Brits and some of the Argies... they paint up really nicely...