Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Conan Miniatures - Armies  (Read 3126 times)

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
Conan Miniatures - Armies
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
So a friend of mine shows me this blog of a guy who is dong an Imagi-nations thing. But instead of it just being a fictitious european nation in the 17th-early 20th centuries, he is doing one for Howards Hyborean world. http://grande-age.blogspot.com/

So a great idea for those of us who love horse and musket gaming. But then I got to thinking, does anyone make Hyborean miniatures that would be suitable for use near to what Howard wrote. Or in other words who makes guys I can get that would be suitable for an army of Cimmerians, etc? And not just a couple of Conans. But trying to put together an army that represents the countries.

does anyone know. I must admit I haven't read any Howard in a very long time. And I am going to do that, but surely somebody on this forum has done some of the brain damage trying to cobble together available manufacturers for some of the key countries in Conan's world.

If not, Copplestone, Artizan, Crusader, the Perry's, somebody please do so.

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan Miniatures - Armies
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:57:28 AM »
Games Workshop's Haradrim will certainly be very useful for Stygians. The serpent symbol is equally prevalent in both.

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
Thanks. I did some digging last night and on Wikipedia they have an extensive list of Country names and who they are most like in reality.

The stygians are apparently Egyptians. Steeping magic and worship of snake god Set.

So I am going to pull a bunch of stuff together to see what might work. Meanwhile, BArnes and Noble has a compiled Conan works for about $25.00. Not bad. Thsi may turn in to a Commands and Colors project.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:58:42 PM »
Ken,
I have a breakdown of everything. Jusy give me call.
-J

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »
I would purchase the Del Rey Conan three volume "set" The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, The Bloody Crown of Conan and The Conquering Sword of Conan.  Any and all other editions are either incomplete, poorly edited or over-edited.

Somebody will eventually recommend you find Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age by Scott Bizar and Lin Carter.  Aside from including pastiche material it is poorly researched and incomplete.

Some inspiration may be found here if you search a bit, other examples are:

http://www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=6065

http://www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=114

http://www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=8196

Read through those and decide what scale you are wanting to use.  Full-sized armies or skirmish forces?  Many, many questions.  Keep in mind that Howard based his ideas on history, so not only the names but the look of the various nations should also have a historical feel based on the clues given in the original Howard texts.

Keep us updated on your project.

Ryan

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 06:48:01 AM »
Howard was a big History buff.  He loved arguing over the clash of barbarian and civilized cultures.

I like the idea of using Lord of the Rings figures.  From what I recall from the books, Stygia didn't have much of a standing army.  Mostly archers, and Sorcery.  There were chariots as well, some of the nobles enjoyed using them in battle.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »
Since many if not all of the Hyperborean nations are based on historical nations, from separate time periods, I'd suggest looking at historical miniatures.  I've been considering a similar project using Wargames Factory and Warlord plastic kits.

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
Northern Barbarians - Cimmerians - EM4 Barbarians, Vanir and Aesir - Vikings would work - need to make sure that the Aesir have blonde hair and the Vanir have red hair.  ;)

Kush - Zulus, Nubians.

Shem - Assyrians.

Which armies specifically are you looking to game?