Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:44:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695796
  • Total Topics: 118720
  • Online Today: 366
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon scale game prop.  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Dragon scale game prop.
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
Didn't quite know where to put this one. Could be VSF, Fantasy, Pulp... So I decided to plunk it down here, seeing as how it just came off my workbench today...  ;)

I made a small(ish) Dragon scale:

The box is just a stopgap, I still need to find a decent, atmospheric container for it. (The dragon skull is a commercially made one, btw, I can't take credit for that one.)

Here's what's inside:

With my hand, to give some hint of scale... The lighter area near the base of the scale is intended as the area where the scale was anchored in the creature's skin.

And the bottom, which would have lain against the skin, anchored somewhat similar to a human nail:

I'm thinking of putting a layer of satin varnish over the bottom, make it seem a bit less "dry".

It's made from clay, over a heat-shaped plasticard base. I painted it with simple acrylic hobby paints, with the chitin/keratin layer done with Tamiya transparents.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:08:35 PM by Modhail »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Dragon scale game prop.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:11:44 PM »
Ooh, looks good.

Hey is that box dutch, and are you so by extension, or is that simply a brand name of dutch origin?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
Thanks!

Ehm, yes, yes, and yes?  :D

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 12:07:16 AM »
I've no idea what sort of container would actually be used for this sort of specimen in the real world, but the box in the picture looks pretty good to me. 'Course I can't read Dutch, so I have no idea what it says. It just looks good and has the right "feel" to it, you know?

If the creature this scale is from is a reptile, then you'd want to add something to suggest a torn or cut edge around the border of the scale to show where it's been removed from the skin. Reptile scales aren't true scales, they don't shed individually because they're not actually structurally separate from the skin: they're just a pattern of keratinized patches within the skin itself. They're like calluses, only "designed in" instead of a response to wear-and-tear.

True scales (like what fish have) are an organ distinct from the skin, like hair or fingernails. Those can be shed/shucked/extracted individually, and with a clean edge.

Sorry, used to have snakes and lizards when I was a lad.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:32:06 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 12:42:20 AM »
Interesting but a little too precise, I think.  Should be a bit more ragged, especially if it's been shed through age.  Take a look at the movie Dragonslayer to see how they handled it.

Nice use of the Propnomicon MU label.  You should forward a pic to Oakree over there.  He's always interested in seeing how people use his creations.

Love the skull!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. This was attempt one, and I was being a bit conservative because I wasn't sure how thin I could get the clay without it becoming too brittle. It's most definately a "fantasy" dragon scale, instead of realistic one.

The box is rather obviously a cigar box, the text on the lid is the cigar brand name. I'm thinking of sanding the entire top down, so the text is gone and then properly age it, somehow.

No need to say sorry Connectamabob, I appreciate the insights! Especially since I have no acces to reptiles myself.
I intended the scale to be more fish-like, that is a separate organ, like you say. The lighter, rougher edge at the base of the scale is meant to represent where it's anchored in the skin. 
That way I can get away with making a separate scale, instead of having to make an entire patch of dragon skin.... I'd love making proper reptilian scales, but I haven't figured out how to make the skin.

Archangel1, thanks, I'll try and get a hold of that movie (Nothing like the excuse of "research" to go on a fantasy movie binge, eh?  ;))
Oops, nearly forgot, I'll send him an email.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »
This wouldn't happen to be for some sort of CoC larp or similar then? (I'm dutch, hence my interest in such a thing locally)

some dark beits (dutch) should make the box look at lot better after you sanded it down.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »
Hi,
Caught the subject title and looked in - hope you dont mind my tuppenceworth!

Actually having recently watched a programme on Darwinian evolution and another on Saxon Archaeology a couple of days ago I can assure you that your cigar box is in no way inappropriate!

Any sort of box seems to have been used for storing samples. Labels, both of the "headed" type you have made up and the more general "blank brown luggage tag" type seem to have been used too. In fact at the Egyptian museum in Cairo they still have dusty cabinates with exhibits labelled in this way, often in handwritten script and French and German language labels are as common as English ones.

Keep up the interesting work!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »
YPU, sadly, it's not for a CoC larp (or similar). If there were such a thing, I'd be in a building frenzy...
It'll most likely go on loan to some friends who have taken dragon researchers as a steampunk personas. I'll let them decide if it represents the real thing or a hoax.  :)

Emir, I know, and I would love to wander among those cabinets... My issue isn't with the box itself, only with the text on it and it's evident newness.
(Still kicking myself on managing to miss that show on the saxon treasure, by the way. Remembered it just in time to see the ending credits... Let's hope for a rerun.)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »
I'd love making proper reptilian scales, but I haven't figured out how to make the skin.

Where are you based ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Where are you based ?

Psst, read my posts and his reply, he is in the Netherlands.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:52:32 PM »
Cant it be weathered in the same was as a model tank for instance? Spill some Claret on it and let it sit in a sunny place for a few weeks.

The Saxon artifacts were stored in cardboard cigaratte boxes which looked suprisingly new too as they'd been in safe storage for 80 odd years. BTW - the show ought to be on BBC Iplayer, but I dont know if you'll be able to see it in the Netherlands.

Either way - good luck.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
Psst, read my posts and his reply, he is in the Netherlands.

Hadn't realised - thought he was just using a Dutch cigar box.
Oddly enough, we have one here (although most of our cigar boxes are Havana)