Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:01:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691533
  • Total Topics: 118400
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Future scale Qs  (Read 8152 times)

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
Dark Future scale Qs
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
Hello,

A recent acquisition has peaked my interest in indulging in some old school car wars and I was hoping the collected wisdom on here might be able to help me out a little. I was lucky enough to get some road sections and a few cars and I have the rules PDF too but I have a few questions concerning the models

Firstly, what scale was Dark Future in the first place?
Is it 20mm or true 25mm? So would 1:72 be ok or it is nearer 1:56, or even 1:48 scale?

Secondly, is there any compatible (and still available) minis out there?
Things like gangers and police, bikes and the likes and guns and other weapons to modify cars with would be very handy.

Thirdly which brands of toy cars scale with Dark Future well? I am really bad with toy car scales so any tips on what be and work for dark Future would be very welcome.

Any help would be most welcome, I never really got the hang of some of this scale stuff for vehicles.

Cheers

Offline Skipp

• Bookworm
Re: Dark Future scale Qs
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:59:39 PM »
think its 20mm and would say matchbox sized....

ebay joblot matchbox, you'll do ok. 8)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:14:25 PM »
I concur. Teenage Plynkes plundered Primary School-Plynkes' collection of Matchbox cars and "Madmaxed" some of them into Dark Future vehicles to have a bit more variety than the two types of car that came with the game.

If you aren't from the UK, I believe Hot Wheels were roughly the same size as Matchbox (not sure if they had Matchbox over there in the USA).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »
Matchbox cars you say......

I am sure I have a few charity shops near me I must go and plunder ASAP as I did not really play with cars in my youth. I was more inclined towards Actions Force  :)

Is it possible to get any packs of weapons to mod them up, or is it a more creative chopping off from one mini to stick on another?

Cheers

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:26:48 PM by Trysop »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
The original game came with plastic sprues of cars and weapons. I just used leftover weapons from the sprues on my Matchbox cars. Not sure what I would do if coming to it now.

Sorry, it was rather a long time ago.  :)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
I would say 20mm but true 20mm so a bit smaller than moderns and more akin to current 15mm but definately Matchbox/Hot Wheels sized cars. There are some really weird and wonderful creations available these days that are ideal, check the local supermarket where they are less than £1 each
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:51:23 PM »
I remember emailing GW a few years ago about figure scale and they said it was 22mm for Dark Future. Not quite 20 not quite 25mm. That said I guess a lot of 20mm will work with the game. For figures try Stan Johansen miniatures
http://www.stanjohansenminiatures.com/Road.htm
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »
Yeah he have matchbox over here. I remember in the 1980's growing up and going into some stores and them having all the matchbox cars in a rotating display, and you picking the one you wanted then them giving you the same car in a little box (at least I believe they came in a little cardboard box, it could be wrong). My mom used check the bottoms of them to see if they were made in England or China, she said the English ones were of a better quality.

Now today iirc Hot Wheels and Matchbox are both owned by Hasbro err sorry it is Mattel that owns both lines.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:14:27 AM by Eldorf.Dragonsbane »

Offline Elwood P Dowd

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 10:23:40 PM »
I think you might find this blog useful .
http://axlesalloys2.blogspot.com/
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me"

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
Hello,

thank you for the feed back and help with this, a few matchbox cars and some packs form Stan Johansen minis should do me proud  :D

So would 1:72 and 1:76 model kits be the way to go for some of the more interesting stuff that matchbox do not do?

thanks

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 09:00:59 PM »
i think this years release of matchbox cars had about six military vehicles that had a Dark Furure/Post  Apocalypse feel.I think there was a post here or on the PA Forum

Also Hotwheels do some cars with weapons,there's a long thin off road vehicle that has guns mounted on either side and another with a load of missiles.
KRASH was a game for Hotwheels scale vehicles,they came with a mix of weapons so you could customise the cars .They aren't easy to find now but they turn up on ebay occasionally
Heres a link to some of the Krash pics,most of the cars are Hotwheels/Matchbox with Krash weapons ,and a few bits from other sources    http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=10046.0
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:07:00 PM by dexter »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:45 AM »

Matchbox "Rock Shocker" w/ Dark Future Maniax converted pedestrian and gunner.

More here for some scale ideas, and take a look at the JADA BattleMachines, like in the cop pic:
http://displacedminiatures.com/LeadAsbestos2010/gallery/2979/

Check Abberrant Games for their Warlands game, with some swell, tho pricey, new vehicles and crew. Good rules too!

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:03:24 PM »
Very nice LeadAsbestos, your pics give me some much needed inspiration  :)

With the exception of Stan Johanson, does anyone else do 20mm driver models that would fit cars? I always felt empty cars looked a wee bit odd, unless they had tinted glass and you could not see the driver.

Of course any tips on other 20mm post apocalyptic minis would be gratefully received as this is my first real dabbling out with 28mm and I have no idea about 20mm suppliers.

Cheers