Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689633
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chaos in Cairo  (Read 9076 times)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
Chaos in Cairo
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:22:47 AM »
This isn't a battle report really, partly because I didn't bring a camera and my photography skills are rubbish.  It's more my impressions on the game and system.  I've played Goalsystem games before, The Supersystem and Goalsystem Fantasy.  However I wasn't able to rope anyone into Chaos in Cairo until last Monday.

It was a three man free for all.  My friend Josh running Heroic Archeologists, Sam playing the Mummies, and myself Nazi Treasure hunters.  My warband being a Hybrid of the Treasure Hunters and Monster Hunters Carpathia warband.  The Archeologists group was made entirely of characters, the Mummies with two groups of eternal slaves, and myself with one group of Brownshirts (The Authorities).  At the last moment I spotted the extra fate rule when facing mummies and Josh got a big boost.  Given that I was playing a equally monstrous side, I opted to go without the extra fate.  That and the rules do not mention treasure hunters.   

The game was very fun, and would have been a bit faster if we knew the rules a bit better, and used a smaller board.  The Mummies started in the center at a crumbling pyramid, with the two human warbands on either side.  Same split his forces down the middle, sending the two groups at each of us.  It ended as a two vs one game, as myself and Josh never came to blows or shots against each other.  Two Sam's credit he nearly wiped both of us out, but some bad rolls near the end finished off some of his big hitters.

Several things occurred to me in the game's aftermath. 
First that Mummies are a scary #$%& warband.  Their resistance to damage is obscene.  The two re-rolls in ranged and close combat combined with a high DV made them almost impossible to kill.  Neither of us had taken Holy Water or Canoptic Jars.  The Archeologists did have torches, which were semi effective.  Unless we were reading the rules incorrectly the only advantage to using a torch vs mummies is a +1D to hit, and they cannot use their DR re-rolls.  I think a +1D damage bringing it to a 3D melee weapon would have been more useful and in character.
Given the amount of time spent looking up rules, weapons and special abilities I decided to put together some equipment and ability cards for faster play.  I'm pretty sure there is a fast play sheet out there, if that isn't the case I'll put one of those together as well.  We are also strongly considering changing the torch rule to giving the +1D damage vs mummies as well.

Overall we enjoyed the game thoroughly.  I began to put together some additional warbands and re-tool the ones used.  A gun happy Brotherhood of Ra gang and French Legionaries are my next two projects.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Chaos in Cairo
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:32 PM »
Sounds good. Have the 1st Ed. of the rules, and always wanted more freedom in chosing the antagonists.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »
I really want a copy of the 1st edition rules.   :)

Sounds good. Have the 1st Ed. of the rules, and always wanted more freedom in chosing the antagonists.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »
really interesting, thanks for sharing.
I'm working on my scenery and as soon I have it finished we will start playing some games, and if works fine, probably a campaing.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 12:08:33 AM »
If I didn't have all of this schoolwork to do, that's what I'd be doing.  Josh and Sam keep bugging me about another game.   ;)

really interesting, thanks for sharing.
I'm working on my scenery and as soon I have it finished we will start playing some games, and if works fine, probably a campaing.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
what i really wonder about the game it's the funniest way to plan a campaing.
option A. each player has his own warband to develope playing random scenarios against others
option B. a story plot of linked scenarios GMastered, with some players managing the main warband (nice for players enjoying to see the rooster evolve) and other players playing the bad guys (nice for people always looking for new things) for instance:
round 1 archaeologist vs cultist
round 2 archaeologist vs tuaregs
round 3 archaeologist vs mummy

From your monday experience, when playing more than two people whats better? to split a one warband for two players? or try to play a game with 3 warbands?

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 03:07:51 PM »
I love me some Chaos in Cairo

Great game, great genre, and with Blue Moon, RAFM, West Wind and others, great figures
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »
I love me some Chaos in Cairo

Great game, great genre, and with Blue Moon, RAFM, West Wind and others, great figures

Don't forget Pulp Figures, and Copplestone Castings!!  :D

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »
Mr Clapham

I am sure I have the original rules pamphlet somewhere - are you interested?

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »
A hard copy?  Absolutely.   :)

Mr Clapham

I am sure I have the original rules pamphlet somewhere - are you interested?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
A hard copy?  Absolutely.   :)

Should I stop what I'm doing, then?

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »
A friend and myself have also picked up a copy of Chaos in Cairo and will played story based linked campaign.The real challange I see in playing is Terrain/scenario building as the miniature requirement is quite low.I figure we will get started sometime next year.

Christopher

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »
The real challange I see in playing is Terrain/scenario building as the miniature requirement is quite low.

That's what small-scale skirmish gaming is all about: You can focus on the visual impact of each game/scenario making the experience even better for all involved, on top of having fun from the gaming itself. And, of course, the RPG-ish feel to gaming with a single or a small group of characters and her/their sidekicks - SO much different from the more alienated feeling of larger fights with focus on units/groups.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »
Mr Clapham,

Thank you for posting your recent encounters; I have the CIC rules and I am looking forward to playing them. I'm following your postings about CoC crossover and looking forward to reading your results in due course, but I know your busy ATM.

I didn't want to "hijack" the thread but in response to Axebreaker's comment about terrain, I have posted some pics of my main terrain piece here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=22967.0

... and I agree with Argonor's comments about small-scale skirmishing - very different to "mass battles".

RMZ

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 02:09:18 AM »
That's what small-scale skirmish gaming is all about: You can focus on the visual impact of each game/scenario making the experience even better for all involved, on top of having fun from the gaming itself. And, of course, the RPG-ish feel to gaming with a single or a small group of characters and her/their sidekicks - SO much different from the more alienated feeling of larger fights with focus on units/groups.

Oh this I get very well and was just making an observation(obvious one it appears)and already started listing the scenes in my notes that I've conjured up.I've done some small scale skirmishing with LOTOW which you can view on my blog if your interested.This system appears to be even slightly smaller with a storyline being even more important for a successful run at the rules.I'm curious how it plays out. :)

Christopher