Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697708
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dystopian Wars  (Read 21075 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Dystopian Wars
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
See, this is a great example for those people who don't get the distinction between Steampunk and VSF. This game is without doubt Steampunk, technically it's also VSF as it's set within the Victorian period, however it's not going to apeal to most of the VSF types around here due to the heavy steampunk aspect. Personally I like it and may well give it a go, however it's unlikely to influence my VSF games in any way and would remain a totally seperate game.

I agree, I think a main distinction between the two is that Steampunk tends to largely operate on the "rule of cool" whereas VSF is instead rooted in the actual SF of the age.

That being said, a steampunk game going on the rule of cool does grab my attention for sure!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 01:00:01 PM »
Those look wonderful to me.

I'm much more of a Steam/Tech Fantasy guy, I have no interest at all in the Victorian era. I love the mixed up/weird technology, but prefer it being free to roam into any area rather than being stuck with empire building and the often over the top focus on victorian elegance and the upper classes rather than the regular people of the era.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »
Hey Beast,

"After the whole Catalyst disappointment, I'm heavy in to the wait-and-see."

What is this "Catalyst disappointment" you speak of?

I assume you are speaking of Leviathans. I have been looking forward to that release, what problem do you have with that. The 3D model they showed looked great!

Cheers
Fuzzy.

I just went to RPGNOW, and see there are a number of alpha test downloads. It'd been so long since I heard anything new I thought it'd dropped off the map.

It's been a LONG development process, with the fairly developed demos I saw GenCon before last, and a splash-and-go,dogger-repeat cycle makes keeping enthusiasm going difficult.

I'm just a narrow minded jade...  :D

Mind  you, I was excited when I heard first blurbs about the reissue of Lensmen...  lol

Back on topic, I enjoy the V in VSF, though less the buffoonery we sometime see, and slick 'modern' sensibilities can ruin the veneer, but that won't stop me from throwing in vampires, dwarves(sic), towering behemoths, global conspiracies, etc., on occasion. The bounds of your terminology do not apply to me.

Will you call me the Moriarty of Gaming?

Wait, where the heck did that come from?

Doug

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
There are several trial games of Leviathans to download and play. Some of the mechanics look good. The 3D models look awesome!

Downsides are that the game is really Edwardian rather than VSF which doesn't bother me too much. The game is also hex based which is a pain but no doubt someone will come up with a mod to enable tabletop play. I think the miniatures may be sold pre painted which I don't like.

Cheers
Fuzzy.
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
There are several trial games of Leviathans to download and play. Some of the mechanics look good. The 3D models look awesome!

The basic, quickstart, short demo rules are in the Lieutenant's manual, right? That costs $3US, but there are a number of pieces, alpha test, thank you, which are free if you are registered, also free, with RPGNOW.

Downsides are that the game is really Edwardian rather than VSF which doesn't bother me too much. The game is also hex based which is a pain but no doubt someone will come up with a mod to enable tabletop play. I think the miniatures may be sold pre painted which I don't like.

As with Dystopian, the models look a bit advanced, but close enough to cut  some slack. Again, if I'm moving the ships, and say they are advanced tech Victorian, well, they are. ;->=

If I'm involved with a mod, I'd probably just try to map to Full Thrust and it's fan-derived variations. I tend not to like the hex-to-template translations I've seen of other things.

RE: The Dig

I waffle about it being too silly to even consider, though I try not to look at it for TOO long. Maybe if it had some rotors to the side...

However, the craft on deck are RIGHT OUT!

Doug

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
I like it, regardless of the gnnnghhh *it's not VSF - It's steampunk* argument.

Looks VERY promising, and I like things steampunk, but I also *yes, ALSO* like things VSF.  :)

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »
This might get me into VSF. I like the idea of combining land, air & sea battles.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »
This might get me into VSF. I like the idea of combining land, air & sea battles.
Land Ironclads does this, if you use Aeronef wih it. And, as already said, this isn't really VSF...
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 06:41:32 PM »
VSF,Steampunk,Victorian,Edwardian.... :'( I thought you guys were more relaxed than the Nappy crowd lol
Isn't VSF "Do whatever you want"?
I just don't like the scale :)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »
VSF,Steampunk,Victorian,Edwardian.... :'( I thought you guys were more relaxed than the Nappy crowd lol
I just don't like the scale :)

We are war gamers.  ::)  More than the Nappy  :o crowd?  Sure,  :)  doesn't take much to more relaxed then Napoleonic/Lace War though.   ;)

Nice models anyway.   8)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 06:59:57 PM »
Well, no, otherwise it would be called 'Do whatever you want' rather than Victorian Science Fiction. For me, VSF is not Science Fiction in the Victorian era, but rather the Science Fiction of the Victorian era. See the difference?

Warmachine is Steampunk, Land Ironclads is VSF. This is somewhere in between.

Edit; Sorry, this is more violent than I intended. It seems we can be just as bad (good?) as the Napoleonic gamers...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:02:58 PM by answer_is_42 »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
For me, VSF is not Science Fiction in the Victorian era, but rather the Science Fiction of the Victorian era. See the difference?

That would require one to be literate in the SF of the V though.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »

Gracias,

Glenn

Its not a bad thing to do.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 07:41:50 PM »

Gracias,

Glenn

To build an army for any historical period, one needs to have a working knowledge of that period. Why should VSF be any different? Would you start a new period without doing any research at all?

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »
Hey I play both Napoleonics and SYW so no real offense intended(hence the laughy face).My Victorian is fantasy not sci fi but I think it close enough related for me to ask questions/post on the VSF boards.
It just seems rather strange to see people arguing about Steampunk/VSF.Kinda like having a debate on the eating habits of woodelves lol
There are a lot of grey areas with VSF to me.Some carry it into the WW1 era,cool by me.
Same with Weird WW2.Some go anywhere from Pre war to the fiftties.It also gets mixed up with the Pulp genre too.
Anyway a little debate is healthy .
VSF is not a historical period,hence the F is for fiction ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:48:49 PM by fitterpete »