Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689794
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Redoubt ECW/musketeers & other ranges?  (Read 6629 times)

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
Re: Redoubt ECW/musketeers & other ranges?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 01:11:23 AM »
In respnse to the sutlan clapping.  That is a Reaper figure.  As I have mentioned I search through all the figure ranges looking for figures that wil fit in witht he Wellington in India Range.  I have added a number of Reaper figures that are in that scale.  I don't know what scale they are in (as well as the Three Musketeer Range).  They make my Surens look puny, the figures are really big as has been mentioned but 40mm doen't work either.  I like them as they have "heft" that is enjoyable to manuever on the wargame table.  But that is me. 
 I appreciate the reviews and talk about the American Civil War Range as I really haven't made up my mind about which Civil Range Figures to start collecting and could use all the input I can get.

As for the 1799 French, I finally have given up and painted up the British in Bicorns from the Redoubt Wellington in India Range as French from the Army of the Orient that finally made it over to India from Egypt. (I had to tie this into Swashbuckling Adventures).  The Officers are from the old Alternate Armies Elves Range for Flintlouque.  They are not the best but they will do and they are in scale.  I just hope that my players cdon't pick them for the eyeball to eyeball examination to notice their flaws and pick up the REaper Figures instead.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Redoubt ECW/musketeers & other ranges?
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 02:38:04 PM »
Verderer, I would suggest "Blue Moon Manufacturing" box sets of Swashbucklers, Four Musketeers, and Cardinal's Guard.  They also produce a Cardinal Richelieu and Rochefort pair.  You can see them on the Old Glory web site:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=534&pg=12

The Blue Moon Manufacturing figures are slim and on the tall side of 28mm.  I think they have good character.  The sculpting is perhaps average, but the casting is pretty good on the figures that I have.  The Four Musketeers box set and the Cardinal's Guard box set have both mounted and dismounted versions of the figures (5 figures mounted, 5 figures dismounted, per box).  I would think those essential for doing skirmish or role playing for that period.

Please note that Blue Moon Manufacturing also produces many types of wagons, which would really help you set the scene for your swashbuckling duels.  Also, there is a pack of gypsies and a gypsy wagon in the Old Glory horror line, which could add an exotic element to your swashbuckling role play.  Just type the word "gypsy" into the Old Glory search function:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/search.asp

Another source of good civilians are the "Townsfolk" packs from Reaper. There are probably about a half dozen different "Townsfolk" packs by now in the Reaper line.  While some of the figures are a bit too medieval, most of them could be made to work for early 17th Century rustics.

Way ahead of you, wb. I have had a bunch of those Reaper towsfolk standing around in half-painted form for ages. True, I didn't buy them specifically for this project ( as it didn't exist at the time), but I knew they would come handy some day... :D

The Reaper Townsfolk are handy, as they're rather tall even for heroic for 28mm, so they well with Redoubt Musketeeer, Confrontation and other 30mm ranges. And as you said, they're pretty generic to suit various historical and fantasy themes.

Thanks for the Blue Moon tip, they would go well with the Redoubt musketeers, if they're anything like thew Wild West ones I got?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:40:22 PM by Verderer »