Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report - a heroic struggle with a Formless Thing  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Battle Report - a heroic struggle with a Formless Thing
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »
I've written a fairly detailed battle report as a follow up on my rundown of the rules to show how the game flows, some of the modifiers and special rules etc.

The mission generated was "Monster Attack" and a group of eager but rather ill equipped Treshold agents had to defeat the abomination - it would prove to be a desperate battle which ended pretty cinematically.

You can find the complete battle report along with pictures of the struggle on my blog:
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2010/11/strange-aeons-battle-with-formless.html

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Battle Report - a heroic struggle with a Formless Thing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »
Great stuff, I liked it, and will continue to watch your brave agent's progress. Maybe a "resupply/hiring" phase as you continue on to your next adventure.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 08:00:30 PM »
Great battle report and it sounded like a great game! 

Good use of the lucky hat too  :D 

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:35:44 PM »
Good report.
Just one thing, as Jenkins and the Formless thing drew CC in turn 2 they  need to finish that Before any nominations in turn 3 and both use a action to do so.
Plus there no rule for shooting in combat I go 50/50

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »
@Sherluck Holmes, yeah I find both the Lucky Hat and the Tight Boots to be really funny additions, love the description of the Tight Boots as well  lol It probably saved Armitage's butt at the end of the day with that little tweak.

Jenkins and the Formless Thing did indeed fight instantly as he was dragged into CC maybe it wasn't clearly written though.

Yeah I couldn't find anything about the shooting and CC.

I figured a few things

1) If the model is alone it should be able to shoot without any problem at the model in base contact
2) If another model outside of the combat fires at a close combat it could be randomly generated who is hit by rolling 1D6.
3) Large monsters / stuff on larger bases would probably be easier to hit - so maybe the risk of hitting your own wouldn't be that big if the opponents base is larger than your friendly model base when both are in base contact with each other. The alternative would be to check the angle, if you can fire from an angle that wouldn't risk hitting your own model it could be OK.

But really good you brought it up, didn't find it to be a huge problem in this game, but there might arise weird situations in the future. This was also my first "proper" game played from start to finish so I'm steel a bit green about the rules and had to consult the book fairly often to check up on things.

Hope to get another game played early next week when a buddy comes over.

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 09:04:59 PM »
Uncle mike has answered a few questions on this forum, but they all over the place, dare say he will bring out a FAQ, plus most will be sorted out in V.U.S before the second edition .
Before I introduce any one to the game I till them get a sabre and maybe dynamite  for the Threshold group plus one civilian for cannon fodder.
Having a player dieing in your first game means you can upgrade your weapons and buy new agents, something you cant do until some one dies.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 03:58:42 PM »
Great report, and a hard won victory. Always sucks to roll Monster Attack right off the top but at least you can re-equip for the next game.

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »
Yeah good battle report.. seems common to head for the formless thing when monster attack is rolled :) Next time I roll this I'll pick a lower BP lurker and and buff it with skills and plot points, see how this works out  ;)

Just one thing, as Jenkins and the Formless thing drew CC in turn 2 they  need to finish that Before any nominations in turn 3 and both use a action to do so.
Yeah I understand there is a round of combat before nominations but didn't know this would use up an action from the model (if then nominated).

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
In the rule book it says you need declare a charge action, but that’s been removed from the VUK Beta.
May be I could have worded it better.
That’s the trouble with being dyslexic, bye time learn to read write and spell you have left school and missed out on the English grammar.