Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 04:00:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697003
  • Total Topics: 118806
  • Online Today: 591
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain Board (Image Heavy)  (Read 30101 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: New Project (Image Heavy)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
Yep. Looking forward to seeing it   :)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »
The weekend has been eventful. I've finished painting the board... well almost. From the picture below you can see that I've still got the field-stone wall and the river to paint. The next step with the wall is to dry-brush it the mid gray that I've used for the cliffs and scree. Once I've complete this I will then paint individual stones at my leisure.

I've never painted a river section before so I'm looking to get a bit of advice and practice before I attempt it. I imagine that I won't paint the river until I've 'greened' the board.

This is a picture of my attempt at a ford. I'm quite happy with it all in, although I'm a bit apprehensive about what will happen to it once I've used realistic water.

I'm quite happy with the cliffs and the scree, what I'm not so happy with however is the obvious join between the board and the filler. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this one... possibly in the greening stage.

I'm not sure if it' clear at all here, but I've attempted to add a small beach at the base of the left most hill. I might need to add a slight yellow tinge to the colour, as currently I think it blends in to the landscape around it.

I've enjoyed this project so far, its been refreshing to use techniques and tools that I've never used before. Also Captain Blood's excellent tutorials have been a great help. Although just now I think the board looks more like a post-apocalyptic wasteland than health country side!

My package arrive from Antecoitis, containing all sorts of lovely scatter material. Predominantly the ground will be covered by Burnt Grass. I decided on this because I didn't want the 'neon green' GW approach to flock. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when its on the board!

Not sure if I'm going to get any greening done tonight. But expect pictures tomorrow night!

Cheers
Andy

*Edit*
Almost Forgot, comments, critiques, hints and tips welcome as always!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
Looking very good, I like the muted colour scheme for the ground work.

For the river you either go for a light browny grey or a dark browny green depending on your personal pleasure and the advantage is it's not to much of a problem to paint over it if you're not too happy  :)

Just start with the darkest colour and paint the whole river and then start to add lighter shades towards the edge but don't keep it even, randomise the contrast somewhat.

You could cover the rock join by a creeping plant or low hugging bush rather than just grass  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
Looking great Andy :-* :-* :-*
Do what Jim says and it will finish it off nicely.
Have you already got the water effect stuff?
If not why not use varnish?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
I like it alot, it will lose the post aporkyclypse look once you grass it.

I used Realistic water for mine and I think using lots of layers of yacht varnish as Colin says would have exactly the same effect.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 09:04:14 AM »
Coming together beautifully, I especially like the cliffs!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »
Very nice indeed Andy. Looking forward to seeing how the grass works out.

Dont mean to hijack your thread but when it comes to giving the river its sheen, whether varnish or realistic water etc., I take it anything laid down should be in thin layers with drying in between?
Don't!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »
but when it comes to giving the river its sheen, whether varnish or realistic water etc., I take it anything laid down should be in thin layers with drying in between?

Certainly should old bean  :)

And I'd go for the yacht varnish aswell, you get a loverly sense of depth  :)

cheers

James

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »
Beautiful tones and the cliffs are great.  :-*  :-*  :-*

Cork cliffs are proving they are the way to go.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »
Very nice indeed Andy. Looking forward to seeing how the grass works out.

Dont mean to hijack your thread but when it comes to giving the river its sheen, whether varnish or realistic water etc., I take it anything laid down should be in thin layers with drying in between?

I don't know, some people just can't help themselves can they?!? ;)

Actually that was going to be one of my next questions, so well done that man!

Thanks all for the kind words, I'm still undecided on the varnish versus realistic water front. It will take me a wee while to decide! A few people have recommended yacht varnish, which I assume is alot cheaper than Realistic water.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:53 AM »
Yacht varnish will be considerably cheaper, get yourself back to Wickes or Homebase and pick up a tin of varnish for probably 1/2 the price.

It will go alot further too. I used a whole bottle of Realistic water just to do a 6" wide 4ft long river.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »
Looking great andy, really nice colour scheme.

If you go down the varnish route then lots of thin layers are essential.  On mine I got over excited and poured on a few mm of an acrylic varnish and it took several months to cure!
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »
Sounds like Varnish is the way to go...

No pictures tonight, had problems with the bloody trees... Advice is really needed here! I'm using woodland scenics trees, along with there super special hobbytac glue... hmm... super special indeed. The idea is that you cover the branches in the glue, leave it for 15mins and then 'dunk' them in the foliage. Instantly it stuck... I couldn't believe my eyes! Unfortunately 15mins later the foliage disintegrated in front of my eyes, falling onto my desk  >:( Advice, help please!

Cheers
Andy

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 11:58:54 PM »
I haven't used the woodland scenics trees (and to be honest am not sure what they look like) but had a similar experience with my own that I made from pan scrubbers and twigs.  I brushed dilute PVA onto the foliage, dipped in flock then stepped back to admire my work.  Unfortunately, the next day most of the flock just fell off.  Now I use a much more robust approach, painting undilute PVA onto the foliage and then, when it's dry, giving it a short blast of matt sealer.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Re: New Project
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice SI, i tried anothed test piece lastnight, 'slopping' the glue on as they do in the scenics video- i had to waitat least an hour for the glue to go transparent. Oi added the foilage and left for some 7 seven hours. I still had falling foilage but most stuck. Tonight is our gaming night so i'm not going to work on the board, aloowing further time to dry. Tomorrow i'l add want extra foilage needed and then seal with clearkote.

Further advice, would be great- this seems and unnecessarily tardy process.

Cheers
andy