Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:47:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689289
  • Total Topics: 118269
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oldskoolrebel's Terrain Board Project (Picture Heavy)  (Read 14212 times)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Re: Oldskoolrebel's Terrain Board Project (Picture Heavy)
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »
Cheers for the kind words guys.

That's looking the biz Andy! :-*

As Mason says, it's enough when you say it is mate. Too much and it'll get in the road of your scatter terrain! :?

What sort of things do you recommend for scatter terrain?

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2017, 06:46:03 AM »
Walls? Fences? Trees? A wagon?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2017, 07:25:49 AM »
The odd ruin; an orchard or olive grove (location specific); fallen trees are always good etc. Actually some fallen trees would look good on that set up, particularly for FIW. I've made mine from scraps of plasticard for a base, a suitable piece of twig and some flock and shrubbery. They can be useful for cover as well as hiding joints, etc.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:51 PM »
Hedges are always useful. I'm experimenting with different sorts of hedges, of which there are many! Whenever I am in the countryside and see a hedge I think what it would be like as a battlefield obstacle, and how I could make some miniature ones. For example you have sparse hedges which you can walk through just ducking your head.... and huge massive things that will be completely impenetrable. Some and short and neat, others with great big tall trees.

Also, have you considered some reeds / rushes as part of the river, before you apply the water effects?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Cheers for the kind words guys.

What sort of things do you recommend for scatter terrain?

If you're wanting scatter terrain specific to the F&IW then you should make yourself some snake rail fencing and some nice cornfields :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »
Andy, these are some examples of cheap fallen tree scatter terrain.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »
Just a small update. I've been pretty busy and not had a chance to work on the boards until today.

So today I managed to paint the water. Next stage is to gloss varnish it. A few layers should make it look pretty decent.

Once I've completed the glossing, I'll probably add more foliage and vegetation to the river banks.

Below you can see the ochre wash I've applied to the roads/tracks. I'll check this once its completely dry but I'll probably end up washing a second time. After I'm happy with it, I'll add some silfur tufts, and possibly a little burnt grass fine turf 'ruts'.

I also ran out of clump foliage when making the trees. I've still got another 16 or so to do. I'm going to have the option of putting down a fair number of trees!

Andy, these are some examples of cheap fallen tree scatter terrain.

I really like that, I'll have a go at making something like that. Best part is that once I take a trip into the garden I should have all the bits I need.

Hedges are always useful. I'm experimenting with different sorts of hedges, of which there are many! Whenever I am in the countryside and see a hedge I think what it would be like as a battlefield obstacle, and how I could make some miniature ones. For example you have sparse hedges which you can walk through just ducking your head.... and huge massive things that will be completely impenetrable. Some and short and neat, others with great big tall trees.

Also, have you considered some reeds / rushes as part of the river, before you apply the water effects?

Good point. I'm not sure that I've seen hedges that I actually like. I'll have a wee look though. I also fancy the idea of making some snake fencing for when I eventually get FIW miniatures painted.

If you're wanting scatter terrain specific to the F&IW then you should make yourself some snake rail fencing and some nice cornfields :)

Good call! I really like what yourself and James have done with your fields.

Kind Regards
Andy

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2017, 12:16:41 AM »
With the water, if you want to end it less flat than gloss tends to leave, get some of the clear mod podge and stipple it on with a wall brush