Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 10:22:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tukolor Empire & Sokoto Caliphate  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
Tukolor Empire & Sokoto Caliphate
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:38:48 PM »
Well,

I was going to start building an Abyssinian army, but one of the other members of our local club has already started.  So I was thinking about having a go at the Tukolor Empire or the Sokoto Caliphate.  Problem is, I don't have a clue what the wardrobe looks like.

Any sage advice from the LAF?  I think I can start out with infantry converted from Foundry Zanzibaris, but have no clue as to favorite cloth colors.

Thanks,
MW

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
Re: Tukolor Empire & Sokoto Caliphate
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:08 PM »
I have a small force of so far unpainted Savanna miniatures. There is not a great deal of easily had information I found. The foundry book African Knights is the first thing to get, I also have Warfare in the Sokoto Caliphate by Joseph Smaldone. The predominant clothing colour appears to be white or off white for the tobes  with the more wealthy having a few splashes of colour , blue and black being mentioned. The heavy cavalry wore the famous multi coloured armour, Perrys Sudanese command is a useful pack, the light cavalry wore white again.The  pagan slaves and mercenaries wore almost nothing, I was thinking of using Foundry Bo**ock  naked tribesmen for them.
The only specific ranges are done by Castaway and Irregular I believe, I have not seen the Castaway but hear good things about them although the photos on there website don't look that great.

I will be interested if anyone has any more info too

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:47:39 AM »
I am also interested in this topic. The images I have seen suggest plenty of robes + some strange headgear. Check out this thread:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=19550.0

I have so far not found any good miniatures for the cavalry

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:28:13 AM »
Thanks to everyone,

Here's what I've learned so far, both from hear and from the chaps over at The Bengal Club who have been emailing me images.

1.) Foundry Zanzibaris are a good place to start... For the 'Not Naked' figures.  However, if the photos are accurate for running about the countryside, instead of just posing for photos in town, then there seems to be more cloth involved.  It's a much 'bulkier' garment.  Most of the time the headgear, which is sometimes a low fez and sometimes a turban thing, also appears to be white.

2.) Colors  appear rarely, and in light pastels, but only in water colors created by Frenchmen.

3.) One has the impression that in 28mm you might get away with Tuaregs, but with their faces exposed.  So I guess some sort of a head swap.

4.) Unarmored/unpadded cavalry look a lot like Tuaregs, with that big shield.

5.) I actually have a couple of packs of the Perry Bros. Mahdist heavy, padded, cavalry, but was hoping to paint that up for East African heavies.

More to come later... I hope,
MW

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »
I am not familiar with this theme. That would be early to mid-19th century, somewhere in north-west Nigeria today, right ?

The French National Library has lots of online pics but later, late 19th C and early 20th C, perhaps some could be useful.
http://www.gallica.bnf.fr/
On the upper bars choose your language, "images", and type something you shall find lots of old photos. If you type "soudan" you shall find photos of French "Soudan occidental" (today Mali) and also of Anglo-Egyptian Sudan.

Castaway Arts (Australia) has correct minis for late 19th C. French Soudan.

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 12:40:41 AM »
Gents,

Yes.  I think that both 19th century states ended up across Nigeria & Mali on the modern map.  And here's a photo the lads over at TBC sent me of Toukolor gents standing around.

Regards,
MW

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 07:19:36 AM »
Great photo! seems like bedouin minis could pass