Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:21:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout AAR - Pic Heavy  (Read 8210 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Fallout AAR - Pic Heavy
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
Hi guys.

On Friday majorsmith and I finally got round to getting his amazing Fallout terrain and figures on the table! What a great game it was! Using the Flying Lead rules, I added a few "Fallouty" rules and events, wrote up profiles for a couple of gangs, and away we went on the playtest!

Scenario:

Enclave scouts have recently reported that a group of Nightkin have stashed a cache of Stealth Boys and other equipment that will be very useful to their cause. Located in one of their hideouts, an old ruined schoolhouse in a formerly rural area, the cache seems to have been abandoned by the Nightkin who left to fight with a rival group of Supermutants several days ago.
The Nightkin have obviously come off worse in the fight, as the Scouts also report that a remnant of the aforementioned rival Supermutant group is heading towards the schoolhouse from the direction the Nightkin had gone off in.
Clearly intent on looting the Nightkin group's hideout, the Enclave have dispatched a squad of troops to get to the hideout and get away with the cache before the Supermutants can.

So, on with the report!

The Enclave...

The Supermutants...

Both sides move up, with the Enclave getting the advantage in speed and organisation...

The Enclave reach the school first, with their heavy gunner (who in this scenario was armed with a MMG despite the figure having a flamer - something I will amend next time) taking position behind a ruined car. As the Enclave get into the grounds of the school, majorsmith is forced to roll on a table to see what, if any, monsters lurk in the area. As yet, nothing is seen.

At this point, the Supermutant with the Minigun takes a hit from the Enclave direction, and dives to the ground.

The Mutants soon return fire and have the Enclave gunner diving to the ground. The Supermutants aren't all that effective at range, but keeping the enemy heads down gives them a chance to move in and start smashing heads in. They also fire upon an Enclave soldier who has been sneaking around to the door of the schoolhouse, causing him to hit the dirt and try and bury himself in the sand.

With two more of his troops in the school grounds, majorsmith rolls on the table again. Suddenly, a Feral Ghoul bursts out of the schoolhouse door.

Which spell bad news for the downed Enclave soldier, who is at a huge disadvantage for being knocked down and shaken. He gets torn to pieces by the Ghoul, and we have first blood of the game.

Second blood soon follows as a Supermutant dashes in and kills the downed Enclave machine gunner.

The Ghoul runs after new prey, and the Supermutant stands firm, ready to batter it aside with ease.

But the Enclave leader adjusts his scope, takes aim and shoots the Supermutant to the ground. While struggling with the smelly mutated blood covering his eyes, the mutant is reeling on the ground under the assault of the Feral Ghoul, who easily tears the mutant apart.

The Mutant Overlord runs in and rips the Feral Ghoul in half with his insane close combat ability.

Meanwhile, two of the Supermutants are moving up to the school. The Enclave are sneaking round the side, something which later in the game proves to be most useful.

Far from useful are these two idiots, who spent most of the game dribbling at the starting position.

Supermutants are hard to activate, with a Quality of 5+. This balances out their rather mean combat ability, which while stunted at range with their Poor Shot rule, makes them utterly deadly in close combat. The Supermutants are very reliant on the Overlord to bellow orders at them, and outside his command range it's very hard to get them to do much at all.

The Supermutants get into the school and begin searching. Combat outside escalates with the Enclave throwing grenades (limited supply in the Fallout game) at the Overlord. The Enclave take some fire back but on numerous occasions are saved by their armour (if a model with armour loses combat by 1, it counts as a draw. It's amazing how often this happened!). Damn those dice!

The Supermutant finally finds the Stealthboys and begins running back to the starting lines.

But with the Enclave on both flanks of the school taking shots, he doesn't make it very far. The Overlord, having already survived two grenades, and no end of plasma fire, grabs the Stealthboys and runs for it.

The Enclave leader moves in past the Supermutant who's reeling on the ground, takes aim and fires at the Overlord. Despite being a couple of turns away from getting away with the Stealthboys, the Overlord bites the bullet. Dropping the Stealthboys he hits the dirt with a hole in his chest. An Enclave soldier from around the side of the school (damn them) takes aim and fires, exploring the Overlord's head.

The rest of the game was a cleanup operation for the Enclave. One of the dribbling idiot Supermutants managed to get the Stealthboys but was quickly shot to bits. The downed Supermutants at the schoolhouse get a good kicking (to death) and it secures a solid victory for majorsmith!

But it was close, dammit! What a great game. I was very proud of the way the rules worked to give that Fallout feel. We did some editing to my profiles as we played to try and balance things out and came away very satisfied. Next time, we'll be using the monster table for all large pieces of terrain, so more beasties get involved.

If anyone's interested in the scenario and profiles I wrote up, PM me and I'll e-mail them to you. Expect more reports in the future!

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
Re: Fallout AAR - Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Nice report! I really like  majorsmith's gameboard and the minis, with exception of the towels perhaps lol
Seems like you had a nice game going on  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »
Looks like a great game to me, cant wait to see more
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
Great report. I love the table and minis. Very nice eye candy.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
We'll more than likely be using a terrain mat next time, so no more worrying about towels.  ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 01:40:10 PM »
Good report and great photos. I actually didn't notice the towels till they were mentioned.  :)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »
Bravo! great little report, nice to see the Majors stuff in action too.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »
Great battle report dave! Thanks for writing the report, and taking a beating! ;)

Offline captain apathy

• Librarian
  • whatever...
    • Captain Apathy's Secret Lab
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »
Cool!  It is good to see the miniatures and terrain in action.  It gives me hope for toys. ; )

Cap Ap

Offline Arcturus

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:14:53 AM »
I have to say it too: Nice to see this great terrain and minis in action!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »
Great terrain, great miniatures and great pictures 8). Good stuff!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline adlerhobby

• Librarian
    • Adler Hobby
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 05:01:11 PM »
That was fun! Thanks
Gordon
Adler Hobby NH USA
www.adlerhobby.com
Stop by our fun Black powder Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BlackpowderNE/