Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:21:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silly question but I am a colonial...  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Silly question but I am a colonial...
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:01:45 PM »
This genre, civilians in CiC games from Eastern Europe - will regular Victorian civilians work or should I be aware of specific figures I would need?

Guess I am just slow and thought I could use Victorian figures as passable (just as I do for some Old West games) without any serious research but it did strike me (just now) that there may be significant clothing differences I should be aware of.

Yes, I have not done any research in Eastern European clothing from this period...  

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Silly question but I am a colonial...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:17:51 AM »
There definately are differences.  Compare the civilian sets from Blue Moon:

Romanian Civilians:
http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/lg_product.php?product=BMM107

London Civilians:
http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=BMM109

You'll get away with using some of the figures but there were regional variations.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »
There definately are differences.  Compare the civilian sets from Blue Moon:

Romanian Civilians:
http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/lg_product.php?product=BMM107

London Civilians:
http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=BMM109

You'll get away with using some of the figures but there were regional variations.

Muchas Gracias!

So are these figures (Blue Moon) the ones that are usually significantly larger than other manufacturers?  Or am I confusing manufacturers?

Guess it's not like there are  ton of Eastern European Gothic civilians on the market, is it?  Guess I'll check OG and see if they have anything similar to these while I am at it.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:07:21 PM »
Westwind have a few packs of civilians in their Gothic Horror line which I believe are available from OG. They are very much of the Hollywood/Hammer movie style generic civilian from a C19th horror movie.
They should work perfectly for your CinC games.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
The differences would be much more noticeable among rural types than well-to-do folk in cities and urban poor, who would tend to look a bit more alike across Europe.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
All of the above are good points; if you want a generic 'Hollywood/Hammer Horror Transylvania', a mix of the Westwind 'Vampire Wars' figs with Evil Cossacks, Gypsies and whatnot (including the odd West European civilian) should do the trick. Nothing says 'Transylvania' like a beard and a fur hat.

It's true that different areas have different peasant fashions, because rural areas tend to be conservative; however, the further down the social scale you go the less 'fashionable' clothes tend to be, so you might get away with using some generic 18th figures in frock coats and breeches or those dresses with square-cut bodices as 19th rural dwellers; even some late 17th figures such as Pilgrim Fathers types (probably not the pilgrim hat, but if you can get hatless men in breeches, shirts and waistcoats).

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »
All of the above are good points; if you want a generic 'Hollywood/Hammer Horror Transylvania', a mix of the Westwind 'Vampire Wars' figs with Evil Cossacks, Gypsies and whatnot (including the odd West European civilian) should do the trick. Nothing says 'Transylvania' like a beard and a fur hat.

It's true that different areas have different peasant fashions, because rural areas tend to be conservative; however, the further down the social scale you go the less 'fashionable' clothes tend to be, so you might get away with using some generic 18th figures in frock coats and breeches or those dresses with square-cut bodices as 19th rural dwellers; even some late 17th figures such as Pilgrim Fathers types (probably not the pilgrim hat, but if you can get hatless men in breeches, shirts and waistcoats).

Excellent advice here - I am just glad I won't have to use my numerous Mexican peons as Eastern European villagers!

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:13:37 AM »
LOL!  I use my Mexican pheasants with  Florida Maroons for seminole War gaming, but Eastern European civilians is a stretch.   :)

I love all those West Wind and Blue Moon civs.  Get 'em all, and throw a big game.   :)
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!